Not losing weight. Advise needed please

Starfish18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm not particularly over weight. I am 5ft 8 and weigh 74 kg (11st 10lb) and been following lchf since I was diagnosed 4 months ago. I only lost a bit of weight for the first 2 weeks then it plateaued and I've been 74kg ever since. It didn't bother me at first as like I say I'm not particularly over weight but I'd like to lose a bit more basically to see if it will help lower my levels which can be anything between 5-7 atm. I'd be interested in trying IF but if I go longer than 6 hours without eating my liver trys to be helpful and I get a dump :meh: so i have to eat something to combat it :depressed: and i still get hungry
I'm not sure where im going wrong unless I'm eating too much fats as I do have a lot of cream each day, other fats as well but cream is my friend :hungry:
Any help or advise would be appreciated
Tia
Eta I don't snack between my meals any more either so just have my breakfast, lunch and dinner, I may have a coffee with cream between lunch and dinner but that's it

Last edited:

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm not particularly over weight. I am 5ft 8 and weigh 74 kg (11st 10lb) and been following lchf since I was diagnosed 4 months ago. I only lost a bit of weight for the first 2 weeks then it plateaued and I've been 74kg ever since. It didn't bother me at first as like I say I'm not particularly over weight but I'd like to lose a bit more basically to see if it will help lower my levels which can be anything between 5-7 atm. I'd be interested in trying IF but if I go longer than 6 hours without eating my liver trys to be helpful and I get a dump :meh: so i have to eat something to combat it :depressed: and i still get hungry
I'm not sure where im going wrong unless I'm eating too much fats as I do have a lot of cream each day, other fats as well but cream is my friend :hungry:
Tia
Eta I don't snack between my meals any more either so just have my breakfast, lunch and dinner, I may have a coffee with cream between lunch and dinner but that's it

Hi @Starfish18 what are you eating on a typical day? How many carbs? Is it just a morning liver dump, or do you get those throughout the day?

My liver often dumps when I’m fasting, particularly if I get hungry, but it usually comes right back down again pretty quickly. Would be good to understand your eating as someone may spot something.

M

Member496333

Hi, with a HbA1c of 50, you seemingly still have a fair amount of glucose in your body. In your shoes I’d declare war on insulin. Absolutely brutal carbohydrate restriction and intermittent fasting are the most powerful tools to this end. Of course, at some stage, the body will attain its biological optimum and maintain it through appetite. You may already be there, but honestly your HbA1c leads me to believe that currently your body’s glucose burden is prompting requisite levels of circulating insulin that will make burning stored energy quite difficult.

By the way, I’m not having a pop at your HbA1c, but improvements to it will go hand-in-hand with falling blood insulin concentrations, and that in turn will promote weight loss.

Reactions: mariavontrapp

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Starfish18 - Personally I don't view a liver dump as problematical.

I view my liver like a rechargeable battery for holding a charge of glucose (of course it does other very important things too). If it has to make a contribution to keep you comfortable during fasting, it just empties a margin of it's stored charge. OK, our blood sugar goes up a little, but as soon as we eat again, our liver takes priority to store glucose again (as a safety feature), so our bloods wouldn't usually rise as much, in relation to what we eat.

I'm OK with my liver cycling it's stores.

Reactions: DawnOfTheZed

Starfish18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Starfish18 what are you eating on a typical day? How many carbs? Is it just a morning liver dump, or do you get those throughout the day?

My liver often dumps when I’m fasting, particularly if I get hungry, but it usually comes right back down again pretty quickly. Would be good to understand your eating as someone may spot something.
Hi, thanks for your reply
A typical days food for me atm is
B 30g Keto Hana Granola with 40g creme fraiche 20g of double cream and sometimes 30g raspberries ( I do class this as an indulgent brrakfast) coffee with 30g double cream
L salad with ham or chicken etc with 4 x cherry Tomatoes, cucumber, lettuce, bit of bell pepper (orange), cheese and mayo, coffee with 30g double cream pack of pork scratchings
D homemade curry with barenaked rice. Sf jelly and 30g double cream
Or
B Scrambled egg made with double cream, chestnut mushrooms, half tomato and 2 rashes of bacon
L 80g avacardo with 40g creme fraiche and tin of mackerel in extra virgin olive oil, coffee with 30g double cream pack of pork scratchings
D pork, savoy cabbage, broccoli with butter on veg
Chocolate mousse (made with 90g whipped double cream 4g unsweetened cocoa powder and flat tea spoon of truvia) and sf jelly
I appear (i think) to have around 25-30 carbs a day, that is if I am counting them properly. I never planned to eat so little carbs its cos I'm scared of eating too many atm

I can get a liver dump in a morning or later in the day if I'm late having my lunch tbh its never a massive rise.

Starfish18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, with a HbA1c of 50, you seemingly still have a fair amount of glucose in your body. In your shoes I’d declare war on insulin. Absolutely brutal carbohydrate restriction and intermittent fasting are the most powerful tools to this end. Of course, at some stage, the body will attain its biological optimum and maintain it through appetite. You may already be there, but honestly your HbA1c leads me to believe that currently your body’s glucose burden is prompting requisite levels of circulating insulin that will make burning stored energy quite difficult.

By the way, I’m not having a pop at your HbA1c, but improvements to it will go hand-in-hand with falling blood insulin concentrations, and that in turn will promote weight loss.
Thank you for your reply. I never thought you were having a pop at my hba1c. You're just giving me honest advice. I was disappointed with my hba1c when I first got the result as I felt I'd tried really hard. What do you suggest I try to aid weight loss?

Starfish18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Starfish18 - Personally I don't view a liver dump as problematical.

I view my liver like a rechargeable battery for holding a charge of glucose (of course it does other very important things too). If it has to make a contribution to keep you comfortable during fasting, it just empties a margin of it's stored charge. OK, our blood sugar goes up a little, but as soon as we eat again, our liver takes priority to store glucose again (as a safety feature), so our bloods wouldn't usually rise as much, in relation to what we eat.

I'm OK with my liver cycling it's stores.

Do you think I should give IF a go then and see how I get on? How much double cream would you recommend I have in my coffee to be still classed as fasting?
Thank you for your reply btw

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B 30g Keto Hana Granola with 40g creme fraiche 20g of double cream and sometimes 30g raspberries ( I do class this as an indulgent brrakfast) coffee with 30g double cream
L salad with ham or chicken etc with 4 x cherry Tomatoes, cucumber, lettuce, bit of bell pepper (orange), cheese and mayo, coffee with 30g double cream pack of pork scratchings
Or
B Scrambled egg made with double cream, chestnut mushrooms, half tomato and 2 rashes of bacon
L 80g avacardo with 40g creme fraiche and tin of mackerel in extra virgin olive oil, coffee with 30g double cream pack of pork scratchings
Chocolate mousse (made with 90g whipped double cream 4g unsweetened cocoa powder and flat tea spoon of truvia) and sf jelly
I appear (i think) to have around 25-30 carbs a day, that is if I am counting them properly. I never planned to eat so little carbs its cos I'm scared of eating too many atm

I can get a liver dump in a morning or later in the day if I'm late having my lunch tbh its never a massive rise.

I have to confess to not knowing what either keto hana granola or barenaked rice are, but looking at that, the things that would interfere with my weight loss would be the dessert like things - the chocolate mousse, SF jelly/cream etc. You could try cutting those out for a while.

Some intermittent fasting would probably help - skip breakfast and eat just lunch and dinner in as narrow a window as possible - 6 hours max. Or if you need something first thing, skip dinner (although I think that would be a lot harder). Fasting was a game changer for me, both for weight loss and blood sugar control.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you think I should give IF a go then and see how I get on? How much double cream would you recommend I have in my coffee to be still classed as fasting?
Thank you for your reply btw

If you fancy IF, then give it a go.

I don't particularly fast myself, except, like you, I don't do snacks at all, so fast from evening meal to breakfast or later, if I don't feel like brekkers.

I think it depends how long you intend to fast whether a coffee with cream would count as breaking a fats would be concerned. Being someone who doesn't favour cream in their coffee (I know. Odd.), I've never really thought hard about it

To be honest, when you fast, you make your own rules

Starfish18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have to confess to not knowing what either keto hana granola or barenaked rice are, but looking at that, the things that would interfere with my weight loss would be the dessert like things - the chocolate mousse, SF jelly/cream etc. You could try cutting those out for a while.

Some intermittent fasting would probably help - skip breakfast and eat just lunch and dinner in as narrow a window as possible - 6 hours max. Or if you need something first thing, skip dinner (although I think that would be a lot harder). Fasting was a game changer for me, both for weight loss and blood sugar control.
Thank you. Ill try what you suggested and cut out my desserts and see if that helps I'll also try intermittent fasting. Ill try skipping breakfast as I did try this before but started eating breakfast again to combat the liver dump. Ill probably try skipping breakfast first for a few days before cutting out desserts so I can see which one works. It might be that I have to do both
Thank you for your response

Reactions: Goonergal

Starfish18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you fancy IF, then give it a go.

I don't particularly fast myself, except, like you, I don't do snacks at all, so fast from evening meal to breakfast or later, if I don't feel like brekkers.

I think it depends how long you intend to fast whether a coffee with cream would count as breaking a fats would be concerned. Being someone who doesn't favour cream in their coffee (I know. Odd.), I've never really thought hard about it

To be honest, when you fast, you make your own rules
I would like to try IF, see how I go. I plan to eat nothing now till lunch tomorrow. I had my evening meal at 17.40 so I'll see how I go.
I never liked coffee with cream to start with, now I love it lol.
Thank you for your reply

Reactions: DCUKMod
M

Member496333

Thank you for your reply. I never thought you were having a pop at my hba1c. You're just giving me honest advice. I was disappointed with my hba1c when I first got the result as I felt I'd tried really hard. What do you suggest I try to aid weight loss?

It’s a huge reduction from your diagnosis, and you should be happy. Rome wasn’t built in a day. It took me almost two years to get my diabetes under control.

I’m always cautious around the topic of losing weight, on these boards. Mostly because I don’t believe that weight loss should be the goal. Being overweight, in and of itself, isn’t even unhealthy. In my opinion, you should focus on lowering circulating insulin levels through intermittent fasting. This will very much aid your body in overcoming metabolic dysfunction. Weight loss will follow, but of far greater importance for now is the fat in your liver and pancreas.

Reactions: HSSS

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Tia
I eat a lot of cream and cream cheese and greek yoghourt. My weight is going down slowly at about a kilo a month. I am happy with that.

However, just recently I have been doing some physically demanding work instead of sitting at a desk all day and suddenly the weight loss kicked in which was great.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Or

Scrambled egg with double cream. A family favourite now.

Starfish18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It’s a huge reduction from your diagnosis, and you should be happy. Rome wasn’t built in a day. It took me almost two years to get my diabetes under control.

I’m always cautious around the topic of losing weight, on these boards. Mostly because I don’t believe that weight loss should be the goal. Being overweight, in and of itself, isn’t even unhealthy. In my opinion, you should focus on lowering circulating insulin levels through intermittent fasting. This will very much aid your body in overcoming metabolic dysfunction. Weight loss will follow, but of far greater importance for now is the fat in your liver and pancreas.
Thank you.
I agree weightloss isnt all that important i just thought it might help get things moving with my levels. I now plan to try intermittent fasting starting now, I ate my evening meal at 17.40 this evening and I'm going to try and go till lunch tomorrow. I've been toying with the idea for a while but didn't think I could do it due to my liver dumps but I'm going to try. I've tried before with just having a coffee with cream in a morning but then decided to try eating breakfast to try and combat DP

Starfish18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I eat a lot of cream and cream cheese and greek yoghourt. My weight is going down slowly at about a kilo a month. I am happy with that.

However, just recently I have been doing some physically demanding work instead of sitting at a desk all day and suddenly the weight loss kicked in which was great.
I've been the same weight since February never gaining or losing I'd be happy with a kilo a month lol. My priority though is seeing if i can get my levels down even more so I'm going to give intermittent fasting ago :)

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've been the same weight since February never gaining or losing I'd be happy with a kilo a month lol. My priority though is seeing if i can get my levels down even more so I'm going to give intermittent fasting ago :)
I had considered dropping the cream and eating less fat but for me it is one of the best features of my low carb high fat diet. I drink full fat milk too.