Type 1'stars R Us

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@helensaramay and @DCUKMod my mother practically never went to the doctor; she was a very healthy woman though quite a heavy smoker. She went to the doctor one morning with discomfort/pain in her chest and was told she had indigestion. At 6 pm that day she died from a massive heart attack at the age of 52. This was a good few years ago, before the medical world seemed to accept that women also have heart attacks and that any condition can strike anyone at any age.

There was a case on my local news this morning of a teenager with learning difficulties who was having an MRI and kept complaining and was taken out of the scanner 'several times' (the health authority won't specify how many); she was having a heart attack and died too. There are some great doctors out there; it seems to me there are still too many who diagnose on assumption rather than listening to what they're hearing.

Reactions: karen8967

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you, yesterday’s BG was going quite well until I ate rice and I wasn’t surprised my BG went up and stayed up. Yesterday I was riding between 6.5-8.0, then rice boosted it to 11.5. Woke up on 7.5 this morning - not too shabby eh? 6.7 after food and coffee :)

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all, 9.6 this morning up from 8.3 last night but we did eat late and carbs were a total guess, 6.2 now so not too shabby either @MeiChanski - welcome!

Liking some of the new avatars, especially x-ray knikki.

Reactions: kitedoc

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Morning all. I’m teaching sewing and tie-dye today :hilarious:

Bloods top end of range, but it’s THAT time, so I’ve upped my basal.

Nice to see you, @MeiChanski ! @WuTwo - I tried some seitan bacon yesterday, loved it. So have bought a bag of gluten to make it myself. Expect stupid questions!

Reactions: kitedoc and WuTwo

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
I have decided to join in :)
Morning, I’ve been up since 4:30am and I’m running on 3 hours sleep. I had food around 7am, same breakfast as yesterday but today I’m more hungry. I’m staring at my oreos and fruit basket, hehehe. I hope you are all doing well. The weather looks fabulous but soon as I opened the door, I hissed and closed it again, then returned to my habitat which is the sofa.
I’m hoping to have another iced coffee and more food but I can’t decide between that and a nap (it’s still a nap if I sleep for 4-5hours right?)

Good to see you here! Iced coffee and a nap sounds perfect - time to find an empty jar and make some too, let’s all do the frappe.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Good after-morning all

Busy busy in work today PLUS the boss keeps coming in the office (TUTS)

Bloods have been pretty level today even with the stress of my job! Giving the overnight basal settings a bit of a going over for tonite!

Talk of coffee.....think I will put the kettle on and put a teabag in a cup :)

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
@Mel dCP - There's a couple of threads in the veggie forum with links to my favourite recipes. The tenders are my favourite - I use the recipe to make strips, steaks, chunk for roasting and at the moment small pieces to coat in sticky garlic sauce (or sticky bbq) for tomorrow's dinner.

I like the recipes that Sam Turnbull does on her site, and have just bought her book of comfort foods. Which is brilliant and will see me on a cooking jag for the foreseeable future.

https://itdoesnttastelikechicken.com/vegan-seitan-tenders/

The recipe bit at the bottom prints out, and you can choose US or metric measures, and how many you want to serve for.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
OH MY WORD.........just had a customer come in and started chatting while I was testing my blood and entering the carbs onto my pump! Her father was type 1 diabetic until he started to eat weell, cut out the carbs and started to exercise more. He was told by his GP that he could stop taking insulin.....she asked why I didnt want to do the same!!!! Then followed a 15 minute discussion on what a type 1 diabetic actually is, I was very calm. She then said oh he must have had the not so serious one!!!!! I gave up!!!

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
OH MY WORD.........just had a customer come in and started chatting while I was testing my blood and entering the carbs onto my pump! Her father was type 1 diabetic until he started to eat weell, cut out the carbs and started to exercise more. He was told by his GP that he could stop taking insulin.....she asked why I didnt want to do the same!!!! Then followed a 15 minute discussion on what a type 1 diabetic actually is, I was very calm. She then said oh he must have had the not so serious one!!!!! I gave up!!!

Sometimes I wish we had an "aaaaaargh" smiley in the little list at the bottom of posts!

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Big award to @porl69 for holding his tongue! (Don’t ask how he did it). It’s a shame there isn’t a better name for each type .

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Yikes

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m lost for words, :( I could go on a long rant too but it takes strength to hold your tongue, well done you @porl69

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m glad everyone could do a frappe or a latte or tea, I could add some cheeky oreos :D

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

Just original - they're vegan and so am I :happy:

Reactions: Knikki

evilclive

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hell yeah, I heard the old school candy like refresher bars are vegan now too but that is getting a bit more cheeky. :)

We call them disgustobars and eat them on walks. When it's cold, they shatter and when it's warm they stick to the plastic. We like them.

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

Hell yeah, I heard the old school candy like refresher bars are vegan now too but that is getting a bit more cheeky. :)

Not having candy bars - my teeth are my friends and I want them to stay with me into an indecent old age!