1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Type 1'stars R Us

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by Robinredbreast, Jun 10, 2018.

1. Jazz97

Jazz97 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

11am and already at 25.7
    I'm never having marmalade again

• Hug Hug x 3
  2. helensaramay

helensaramay Type 1 · Expert

How much marmalade did you eat? A whole jar?
    I would be surprised if the marmalade alone caused such a high.
    As there is so much that can affect our BG, my policy is to never draw a conclusion from a sample of one. Before, discounting marmalade, I would try again to see if it has the same affect. And then, maybe, use it as an example to the DSN why I need to learn to carb count.
    It is possible that marmalade is your diabetic kryptonite, but it is more likely you do not have the tools (carb counting) to manage it.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Jazz97

I had two slices wholemeal toast with marmalade and a banana. I know its not the banana as I have one every morning. And unlikely the bread as I have it most days for lunch. So the marmalade is the only thing I've had different.
    I have been moving around a lot this morning, so maybe it's the two together.
    Haven't gone this high in a couple of weeks.
    Have had a little correction insulin, so hoping it will come down in the next hour, as I'm supposed to be eating a roast dinner! Might have to take it easy on the potatoes.
    Might have to give low sugar marmalade a go

• Hug Hug x 1
  4. Cumberland

Cumberland Type 1 · Master

Hello friends
    Roast Chicken dinner is being prepared

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. smc4761

smc4761 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Depending on portion size, 2 slices of bread could be 40 g of carbs, a banana 15/20 g of carbs and I assume the marmalade would have some of carbs as well. So that is maybe around 70 g of carbs.

Some people find also that they need more insulin in mornings than they do for rest of day.

I know its a pain but it will take a lot of trial and error so get you doses/carbs balance. Even then when you think you have it sussed, it will throw you a curve ball. As you have maybe seen from comments on here many of us still have highs and lows even after 30+ years

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Jazz97

Mmm I've got roast pork today

Love roast chicken, though people always think me and my mum are weird because we smother it in mayonnaise

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Jazz97

Yeah that's true... was trying to use carbs & cals, but I should have looked more at the actual packaging of the bread, etc.
    It's still a long way to go up, even for me, but I guess it happens.
    I'm just trying my hardest not to stress about it, as that will just make it worse!

• Hug Hug x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. WuTwo

WuTwo Type 1 · Well-Known Member

After much trial and error I finally worked out that I have four daytime ratios, with the morning being when I can eat fewer carbs than at any other time. By dinner I'm at 1:10g which is fantastic, so I save my real munching for dinner. If I had the fancy machinery it would doubtless work out even more ratios for different occasions but this is as good as I can get it working with testing and my app.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Molly56

Molly56 Don't have diabetes · Well-Known Member

Steak, chips, mushroom, tomato and peas for us today.....have been eating alone all week whilst he has been away on tour so looking forward to dinner together tonight...:)
    ... @Cumberland ....does Wispa get roast chicken too.....

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Hug Hug x 1
  10. Fairygodmother

Fairygodmother Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Did you bolus for it?

Is it possible that you hit the feet on the floor effect too? I always need some insulin in the morning to deal with what the liver chucks out when I get moving.

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. Jazz97

Yep... I was at 9.3 before hand. My dose should be 6 as per nurse's instructions, but took 7 as I was trying to get down to normal levels. And waited 20 mins before eating

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. Fairygodmother

Fairygodmother Type 1 · Well-Known Member

It could be that the 9.3 needed a bit longer to descend. What were your bs before eating? Personally, if I’m above 8 then I need longer for the insulin to take effect.

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. Jazz97

That was it before the insulin. I dont test again until 2 hours after I've eaten.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Robinredbreast

Robinredbreast Type 1 · Oracle

Erm, that can add up to 45+ carbs, how much Insulin did you take ?

15. Jazz97

7 units
    My fixed dose is currently at 6, but took an extra one as I was at 9.3

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  16. Robinredbreast

Thanks for that, I couldn't eat that myself, but it definitely didn't work this morning, could you reduce the carbs and still take the 6 units ? I have miscalculated a few times and I carb count, but having a high like that isn't nice :(

• Like Like x 1
  17. Jazz97

It was the first time of tried marmalade since being diagnosed. So didn't know how I would react to it. A mixture of that and being on my feet all morning I reckon.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Robinredbreast

I used to like the odd piece of toast with marmalade for breakfast, but I found it spiked me, so I don't bother

• Like Like x 1
  19. Jazz97

I might give low sugar marmalade a go. I dont have marmalade on an everyday basis, so just need to figure out my bolus for it, so can have as a treat

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  20. Robinredbreast

I'm the same as you, for brekki I have 1/2 to 1 unit and then Insulin increases throughout the day. I am normally at my busiest in the morning, early afternoon, then slob out after dinner, well, I'm cuddled on sofa with Pebbles cat :):cat: <3

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook