T1 Fasting Success??

Type1Mum

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

I’ve seen many friends who have benefited greatly from fasting, so I thought I’d give it a go to lose the excess weight I’ve gained.

I completed the 5:2 fasting and after 2 weeks I gained 2lb! Has any T1 out there had success with fasting? If so which method and any tips??

Thanks,

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
Hi,

I’ve seen many friends who have benefited greatly from fasting, so I thought I’d give it a go to lose the excess weight I’ve gained.

I completed the 5:2 fasting and after 2 weeks I gained 2lb! Has any T1 out there had success with fasting? If so which method and any tips??

Thanks,
I'm like you and really think IF will make a huge difference. Check out Dr K Bernstein's Diabetes Solution. He fasts and talks about how he manages it through injecting insulin. It's in chapter 6 under the heading the dawn phenomenon.

I may have similar issues but I need to mention that I'm low insulin and not injecting. I'm struggling with spikes after breaking the fast (due to even lower insulin), plus late night highs before bedtime (which must be gluconeogenesis, where the liver converts amino acids into glucose) which means I end up with high sugars all night and of course the dawn phenomenon where it takes all day to clear my morning high. I've found dirty fasting (cream in coffee) helps my break-fast spike, weights at the gym an hour before bedtime helps with the gluconeogenesis and dawn phenomenon. Fingers crossed as I've had 3 weeks of miserable blood sugars because I'm determined to persevere.

Reactions: Type1Mum

Type1Mum

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm like you and really think IF will make a huge difference. Check out Dr K Bernstein's Diabetes Solution. He fasts and talks about how he manages it through injecting insulin. It's in chapter 6 under the heading the dawn phenomenon.

I may have similar issues but I need to mention that I'm low insulin and not injecting. I'm struggling with spikes after breaking the fast (due to even lower insulin), plus late night highs before bedtime (which must be gluconeogenesis, where the liver converts amino acids into glucose) which means I end up with high sugars all night and of course the dawn phenomenon where it takes all day to clear my morning high. I've found dirty fasting (cream in coffee) helps my break-fast spike, weights at the gym an hour before bedtime helps with the gluconeogenesis and dawn phenomenon. Fingers crossed as I've had 3 weeks of miserable blood sugars because I'm determined to persevere.

Thanks for the tips! I hope you find the routine that works for you ert.