Meaty May - for those with carnivorous tendencies

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had some utterly deflating news today and I’m sad. Good news is emotionally eating to fix the sad isn’t all that attractive when it’s just another pork chop.

I’m hugging a coffee instead.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had some utterly deflating news today and I’m sad. Good news is emotionally eating to fix the sad isn’t all that attractive when it’s just another pork chop.

Big hug heading your way.. x

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Big hug from me too. x

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok so raw liver...hmmm not a new favourite ok but not something I will repeat in the near future.
Steak tartare is fine even with the raw egg but the liver was a bit too much for me.
@Jim Lahey much respect...

M

Member496333

Ok so raw liver...hmmm not a new favourite ok but not something I will repeat in the near future.
Steak tartare is fine even with the raw egg but the liver was a bit too much for me.
@Jim Lahey much respect...

I hear ya. Definitely a curiosity. To be honest I ate the rest cooked in butter but extremely rare. It was amazing.

Will eat again raw but not as a habit :D

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, getting back on the full carnivore wagon has resulted in a 1.3kg loss this week. Very welcome as had been creeping up for a few weeks. Ketones somewhat puzzlingly only at 0.7.

Bought some lambs liver to experiment with at the weekend. Most definitely won’t be eaten raw!

How is everyone else doing?

M

Member496333

Ketones somewhat puzzlingly only at 0.7.

I probably shouldn’t get into this, as I realise many of you guys in here will disagree, but the relatively low ketone production is to be expected if a larger proportion of your body’s fuel requirements are being derived from protein.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Pretty good, thanks. :D

My weight has been stable (within approx 7 pounds/3kg) for a year+ but I have used May to refocus on carnivore. Reducing dairy a bit and eating plainer meat. Tesco’s have helped this. Lamb rump steaks for £7.50 a kg. So I have a freezer with plenty of bagged up portions of those steaks, salmon slabs, lamb burglars, lovely fatty belly pork strips and then the local butcher’s ‘thin ribs’ and his wonderful sausages. Just a pity his oxtail is expensive.

I made some chicken soup when ill near the beginning of the month. Very pleased with it. Roasted a chicken, took the meat off. Bone brothed the bones. Drained. Returned the meat. Added butter. Blended until smooth as silk. Seasoned it. No other frills. I need to make more for the freezer. :D Chicken soup IS the universal panacea when feeling under the weather. It is magical stuff.

The profiterole siren call is forever with me ;)
But I have promised myself not to make more until June. 1st of June, maybe, but still June.

Last edited:
Reactions: wiflib
M

Member496333

Raw steak today for a lunchtime OMAD. Not sure what I’m going to do with it. Probably just rub it in salt and slice it up :nailbiting:

Reactions: wiflib

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning all. Another surprising 4lbs down (1.8kg) and that must be visceral stuff as I can see my jutting hip bones and aorta and vena cava pulsing away when I lie down. Shame my **** is still the size of a small country!
I don’t test for ketones but I don’t stink of them anymore so probably well adapted again.

The children had some gorgeous food last night and I could have eaten the lot. Loads of different salads, hummus (hummus addict, mustn’t even sniff it) falafels...
They also had a bit of birthday cake I made a week ago and in no way I was longing for that.

I’m in a Welsh field for a week, crew catering for a home ed camp we are just starting up. I’ve dug out a tin of stewing steak, three small tins of out of date duck rillettes and boiled six eggs. I won’t starve!

Have you noticed that none of us are moaning or bitching about what we are eating?

Ed by mod to remove enthusiastically irreverant expletive.

Last edited by a moderator:

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I probably shouldn’t get into this, as I realise many of you guys in here will disagree, but the relatively low ketone production is to be expected if a larger proportion of your body’s fuel requirements are being derived from protein.

Thanks for the thought - the reading was puzzling because that's not normally the case for me. Usually my ketones are higher on carnivore.

Reactions: Member496333

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

I love reading your stuff @Jim Lahey I makes me revisit stuff and read about things I don’t understand, I’m also considering changing my status to ‘reversed my T2’ as I struggle to get an occasional 5 on my meter.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I forgot to thank you guys for the hugs and PM’s you sent about my self indulgent post up there. Thank you, I really appreciate the support we all show for each other too.

Reactions: Brunneria
M

Member496333

I love reading your stuff @Jim Lahey I makes me revisit stuff and read about things I don’t understand, I’m also considering changing my status to ‘reversed my T2’ as I struggle to get an occasional 5 on my meter.

I keep repeating this to anyone who will listen...if you don’t have diabetes then you don’t have it. One may have a tendency to get it again, but that’s not the same thing. If it can be kept at bay through dietary means then it’s no different to not getting it in the first place through dietary means. We don’t pull people off the street, ask them what they eat, and extrapolate a diagnosis of diabetes because they may eat too much cake in the future. No hyperglycaemia and no hyperinsulinemia = no diabetes. Clinical fact. Sensitivity to carbohydrate is irrelevant if you don’t consume carbohydrate.

Anyway...back on track...:shifty:

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning all. Another surprising 4lbs down (1.8kg) and that must be visceral stuff as I can see my jutting hip bones and aorta and vena cava pulsing away when I lie down. Shame my **** is still the size of a small country!
I don’t test for ketones but I don’t stink of them anymore so probably well adapted again.

The children had some gorgeous food last night and my God I could have eaten the lot. Loads of different salads, hummus (hummus addict, mustn’t even sniff it) falafels...
They also had a bit of birthday cake I made a week ago and in no way I was longing for that.

I’m in a Welsh field for a week, crew catering for a home ed camp we are just starting up. I’ve dug out a tin of stewing steak, three small tins of out of date duck rillettes and boiled six eggs. I won’t starve!

Have you noticed that none of us are moaning or bitching about what we are eating?
Well I had this last night...who's gonna complain about that..
IMG_2459.jpeg

M

Member496333

Incidentally I lasted about two days. I like mushrooms, olives, garlic and chillis too much. Wont be returning to vegetables in any meaningful quantities, but I also definitely won’t be adhering to a pure carnivore lifestyle. I’d say I’m still 80% animal produce :)

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I keep repeating this to anyone who will listen...if you don’t have diabetes then you don’t have it. One may have a tendency to get it again, but that’s not the same thing. If it can be kept at bay through dietary means then it’s no different to not getting it in the first place through dietary means. We don’t pull people off the street, ask them what they eat, and extrapolate a diagnosis of diabetes because they may eat too much cake in the future. No hyperglycaemia and no hyperinsulinemia = no diabetes. Clinical fact. Sensitivity to carbohydrate is irrelevant if you don’t consume carbohydrate.

Anyway...back on track...:shifty:

I’ve been saying similar for years too, especially to the few GP’s I’ve encountered when they ask me who told me I have T2. I tell them that as long as I’m not eating carbs, I don’t but pass me that sandwich and apple and I’ll prove that I do.

Reactions: KookieMunchster