1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Meaty May - for those with carnivorous tendencies

Discussion in 'Low-carb Diet Forum' started by Goonergal, Apr 22, 2019.

1. Goonergal

Goonergal Type 2 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Following on from World Carnivore month in January, a few of us have branded May as Meaty May, with the intention of eating carnivorously for the month.

Tagging @bulkbiker and @wiflib so they know this is here. All welcome to join.

Definitions are your own, but for me it’s any animal based produce - meat, fish, eggs, cheese, butter, a bit of cream.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  2. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Moderator
    Staff Member

I can’t see myself reintroducing veg by then (if ever), so will be joining you - in the sense of ‘business as usual’ :D But I won’t be doing a 30 days of steak thing. I love variety too much for that! ;)

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. britishpub

britishpub Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Sorry, I love salad swimming in EVOO too much, but I wish you all well and will watch the progress with interest.

I bought myself a huge steak for Saturday dinner and was determined to just eat that, but in the end couldn't stop having just a few leaves in oil :banghead:

• Like Like x 5
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  4. Tophat1900

Tophat1900 Type 3c · Well-Known Member

Meaty May, has a ring to it :D

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Guru

I would join you, but I couldn't do without my daily mushrooms and tomatoes. I hardly ever eat veg anyway, except mushrooms in quantity!

• Like Like x 5
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. Chook

Chook Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I'm afraid I don't think I can join in this time as the veg and salad growing in my garden will need eating - but good luck to everyone participating. :)

• Like Like x 5
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Master

Mushrooms are in that half way house betwixt veg and meat so we might allow them too...

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  8. wiflib

wiflib Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Thanks for the tag.

I’m going to stick to animal protein that will be cooked in ghee if needed, eggs and maximum of 50 mls of double cream a day.

The challenge will be the food at the PHC. It’s all low carb but utterly amazing.

My markers will be weight.

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
  9. Tipetoo

Tipetoo Type 2 · Expert

I like the sound of this diet carniiforous way of life, I would have a crack at it but I do like my veggies with my meat, a long time habit that goes back to the UK meat rationing days.

Gotta put an order into the butchers for next month so will put extra meat on the list for solidarity with you carni's. :D

• Like Like x 5
  10. Caeseji

Caeseji Type 2 · Well-Known Member

All up for meaty may that is for sure!

Needing to up my fat ratio a little bit I guess but going to be stocking up tomorrow at the local butcher whom I imagine I shall be getting very familiar with for this.

• Like Like x 5
  11. wiflib

Today was about 30mls of cream and 300g of streaky bacon and I’ve also been on my first run of the year after injury. I hate running and I reserve that word for special things, running is one of them but the health benefits are enormous. Exercise also kills my appetite and motivates me so a win win.

I’m repeating it all tomorrow.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. zauberflote

zauberflote Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

I am, er, a vegetarian mostly, but MrZF eats plenty of meat. In solidarity, I pledge to cook him one new meat thing in May. (I'd pledge to do more but I need my goals realistic!). Of course nothing that I know he hates, and nothing remotely like what the offal-consuming group consider tasty. Maybe curried chicken- I make chicken and I make a veggie curry (sadly never to be again) so why not combine!

• Like Like x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  13. wiflib

I’ve been eating only meat these last few days and OMAD. Hardly a meal really, more three slices of pork yesterday and a bratwurst and two slices of salami today. I’m not hungry at all but I’m longing for cheese.

• Like Like x 4
  14. Pipp

Pipp Type 2 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

Can you explain the rationale behind this, please @Goonergal? Just so those who have not heard of this before can vet better understanding.
    Thanks.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. wiflib

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. Caeseji

Caeseji Type 2 · Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 2
  17. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Master

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  18. wiflib

I’ve eaten quite a bit of meat from this company, I think it’s just that particular pack that is marketed as ‘lean’.
    They are quite focussed on the keto/low carb thing and everything I’ve had is very good.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. Pasha

Pasha Prediabetes · Expert

I shall gladly join in this meaty month of May. I will use BG values as my indicator to track progress eating meat, fish, eggs, cheese, butter, and drinking tea and coffee. The weather here is now also good enough to record "starkers weight" early in the mornings. Maybe I will also record feeling of well being, mood and I guess constipation /or lack thereof .

• Like Like x 4
  20. Goonergal

Goonergal Type 2 · Moderator
    Staff Member

@Pipp thanks for the tag and apologies for the slow response. Been offline a lot recently - visiting elderly father and catching up with not often seen younger sister who lives abroad.

For me carnivore is a natural extension of eating very low carb/keto. For me it produces excellent blood glucose control, provides an extra boost of energy and helps me to manage some remaining food craving/addiction issues by helping me to eat only to satiety. It has the added bonus of being a way of eating I enjoy and fitting easily into a busy lifestyle.

Editing to add a link to @bulkbiker s excellent thread with resources and information about zero carb/carnivore for those wanting to do further research.

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/zero-carb-carnivore.159838/

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook