Science presentation

Munkki

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all,

I had a strange and emotional experience on Wednesday, and wanted to check-in with this forum, as it has helped me a lot since my diagnosis with T2D. I went to a presentation by a Professor of Metabolic Physiology. He started going through all the complications, the odds of having feet amputated etc etc. Then, he recommended a low calorie diet with complex carbs - and expressed his surprise and disappointment in study participants, who used this approach and started gaining weight again after a while. My boyfriend was holding my hand tightly while I felt more and more disturbed. At the end, I asked the professor, what he thinks about low carb diets and he started a big rant about fads with a lot of fat, SATURATED fats, and that people get heart attacks from such fat!! And people need fibre and cannot get fibre without > 100g carbs. I mentioned cabbage and spinach (could have mentioned more, actually) and he said he does not mean THAT fibre - you need whole grains for fibre to improve diabetes control. He actually advises the NHS on keto/low carb diets, so no wonder the guidelines hardly change!! I left without arguing further, but it took me a while to calm down.

A few points I wanted to mention:

- I have been free of all meds since my diagnosis, and live happily with low carb / keto since about 4 years, and have been experimenting more and more with IF. I could be slimmer, but I am not overweight and have the curves as the right places, not thin legs+belly anymore

- I am one of the healthiest people around and don't usually catch a cold, even when my colleagues and boyfriend are ill

- I mostly don't worry about my lifestyle, but after Wednesday, I had a bit of diabetes fatigue. It can get lonely being the only one on low carb at work etc and when many professionals are against your lifestyle, but my GP is at least supporting LC

- I really admire those, who spread the word, like people in this forum, people who openly talk about their own experiences, but also the researchers, who must at times struggle immensely with funding and publishing - just imagine having that said professor as journal reviewer or editor - he could probably get a crucial diabetes+LC study rejected in an instant

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
That presentation wasn't on science it was on dogma.

Reactions: Kittycat_7_

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Sounds like a horrible man and a worse scientist. What about acquiring data before blindly storming to conclusions?

Reactions: Member496333
M

Member496333

Professor of Metabolic Physiology.

Professor of ******** more like. Unbelievable that people with job titles like that are pushing grains on diabetics. As you say, upmost respect to those real researchers pushing back against this disastrous advice. Must be like rowing a rubber dinghy uphill through treacle :shifty:

Last edited by a moderator:

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
So, we've been eating grains for around 10,000 years. We must've been so bunged up and unhealthy before then... oh wait...

Reactions: jjraak

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all,

I had a strange and emotional experience on Wednesday, and wanted to check-in with this forum, as it has helped me a lot since my diagnosis with T2D. I went to a presentation by a Professor of Metabolic Physiology. He started going through all the complications, the odds of having feet amputated etc etc. Then, he recommended a low calorie diet with complex carbs - and expressed his surprise and disappointment in study participants, who used this approach and started gaining weight again after a while. My boyfriend was holding my hand tightly while I felt more and more disturbed. At the end, I asked the professor, what he thinks about low carb diets and he started a big rant about fads with a lot of fat, SATURATED fats, and that people get heart attacks from such fat!! And people need fibre and cannot get fibre without > 100g carbs. I mentioned cabbage and spinach (could have mentioned more, actually) and he said he does not mean THAT fibre - you need whole grains for fibre to improve diabetes control. He actually advises the NHS on keto/low carb diets, so no wonder the guidelines hardly change!! I left without arguing further, but it took me a while to calm down.

A few points I wanted to mention:

- I have been free of all meds since my diagnosis, and live happily with low carb / keto since about 4 years, and have been experimenting more and more with IF. I could be slimmer, but I am not overweight and have the curves as the right places, not thin legs+belly anymore

- I am one of the healthiest people around and don't usually catch a cold, even when my colleagues and boyfriend are ill

- I mostly don't worry about my lifestyle, but after Wednesday, I had a bit of diabetes fatigue. It can get lonely being the only one on low carb at work etc and when many professionals are against your lifestyle, but my GP is at least supporting LC

- I really admire those, who spread the word, like people in this forum, people who openly talk about their own experiences, but also the researchers, who must at times struggle immensely with funding and publishing - just imagine having that said professor as journal reviewer or editor - he could probably get a crucial diabetes+LC study rejected in an instant
Hug for having had that experience I can imagine how you felt inside as he went on and then after you’d challenged him to have him dismiss your comment about low carb veg clearly being the wrong type of fibre!
Pleased though that your Gp is supporting your woe - it can be lonely which is very much where this forum comes into its own to be able to talk about it with others who are gaining success and lots of links to up to date research on things like fibre with Zoe Harcombe. As you say though all of us eating this way and especially the researchers and lecturers, need to have a very tough skin to keep going in the face of so much official rubbish that is spouted.
Having been one of those diabetics who tried for the first two years after diagnosis to follow official advice to the letter withthe eatwell plate,low fat and lots of grain plus lots exercise and permanently feeling hungry and having had the DN saying I clearly was in denial if I thought I was as I was putting on weight and bgs were going up it gets me so angry as it clearly does not work for diabetic management for many type 2s.
You’re doing a great job keep going we both know it’s what works for us the hard job is getting the info out there so that others can choose to eat this way to manage their type 2 if they choose to do so.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Munkki as I read your post I just felt so sad thinking that there would have been people in the audience who believed this absolute rubbish and by following this advice would ensure that their T2D would be a progressive degenerative disease. Just as I did for the first 4 years after my diagnosis.

This is my revised post as my first attempt was rather 'over the top ' as I was actually really angry that a Professor could spout such a heap of s***

Reactions: ziggy_w and Guzzler

1spuds

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What horrible advice.Whoever sponsored that guy to a symposium....I just dont know what to say.Very dangerous advice IMO.
And people who dont know better actually listen to this....just shameful!

Reactions: shelley262

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
So, we've been eating grains for around 10,000 years. We must've been so bunged up and unhealthy before then... oh wait...
Actually - what was done with grain way back in the day was most likely to make it into beer - according to observations in some rather ancient places where people were wont to gather after harvest, as there are these pits with a residue in the bottom thought to be produced by soaking grain.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Just what I go for at the pub these days a carvery meat mostly and beer . :)

Reactions: KK123