Parmegan!

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
Tomorrow morning I am making parmegan, which is Sam Turnbull's vegan parmesan.

Every one of her recipes that I've tried has worked, and I have her book as well as using her website and I see she says her omnnivore parents munch this and make it in their own home.

https://itdoesnttastelikechicken.com/parmegan-vegan-parmesan/#wprm-recipe-container-12737

Sounds dead simple! I have to make it tomorrow because we're using the last of the seitan wings cut into strips with some veggies and cheese sauce to go with some pasta. This parmegan will sprinkle over that very nicely.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Looks good...

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Every one of her recipes that I've tried has worked, and I have her book as well as using her website and I see she says her omnnivore parents munch this and make it in their own home.

https://itdoesnttastelikechicken.com/parmegan-vegan-parmesan/#wprm-recipe-container-12737

Sounds dead simple! I have to make it tomorrow because we're using the last of the seitan wings cut into strips with some veggies and cheese sauce to go with some pasta. This parmegan will sprinkle over that very nicely.
Just looked at the recipe so ordered some nutritional yeast and can't wait to make it it sounds amazing

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
I look forward to seeing the results.
Unfortunately, my inner ornithologist keeps reading “ptarmigan”.
With the white plumage you’d never find it in the fridge.

Reactions: WuTwo

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
Well that is just about the yummiest, most savoury thing I have ever eaten. And I'm not one bit ashamed to announce I stood there and ate three spoonsful straight out of the jar.....

Fairly salty so if you use salty cashews cut the spoonful of salt by half at least.

But oh wow. We're having pasta, veg and sauce tonight and I know what I'm putting on mine!

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Now I HAVE TOO, lol go get some macadamia nuts so I can try it!

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

My son and daughter in law came for dinner yesterday but during the evening they tasted my parmegan. They have gone off with the whole jar...... they both thought it absolutely delicious and oh-so-savoury....

I am making more today!

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My son and daughter in law came for dinner yesterday but during the evening they tasted my parmegan. They have gone off with the whole jar...... they both thought it absolutely delicious and oh-so-savoury....

I am making more today!
Sounds like you will be busy keeping the family supplied. Reviews say even the nutritional yeast on its own is really delicious and not only vegans and vegetarians have it because it is so good

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

Sounds like you will be busy keeping the family supplied. Reviews say even the nutritional yeast on its own is really delicious and not only vegans and vegetarians have it because it is so good

Yep - I use a LOT of engevita (nutritional yeast - easiest to get hold of make in the UK)

Last edited:

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you for the recipe!! I made some and put it on my veggies and tofu! It was delicious! I added no salt at all as I used salted macadamia nuts and that worked great. Thanks for the salt warning.

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

Variation - today I used garlic powder in the mix as well. That is just gorgeous!

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

Of course - now I have looking at the herb and spices shelves in the cupboard, eyeing them all up ready for the next jar. Sort of curious about a smoky bbq angle to it but it's a very definite spicy flavour - might not go with as much as the parmegan usually does.

Edited to add: brainwave - mix the parmegan as usual, then split into two lots. Add the BBQ spice to one lot, and something else to the other lot ......

Last edited:

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
I was thinking oregano, but since it readily goes over Italian stuff anyway, that usually already has oregano. I left the jar on the counter and I notice my hubby has been using it on some leftover pasta..................I've been trying to get him to eat more nuts, so this works!!!!!

So now I;m thinking parsley flakes. I put parsley over almost everything lol, it's so good for you. So if I put it in the Parmegan and my hubby uses it, it would be a good way to get him to eat some parsley!

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I bought some nutritional yeast and wow the flavour is awesome I have added it to chopped nuts and used it as it comes for a sprinkle on practically everything cooked stuff and salads and it just makes it all taste better I will try mixing spices and herbs in it. Reviews on it are really good people love it and not just vegans and vegetarians

Reactions: Marie 2 and WuTwo

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

Yep! It's an amazing foodstuff. I sprinkle it on my bowl of chopped veggies/salad at lunch - put the veg/salad in, add about 25g of sunflower seeds, pour on some basil olive oil and then add the parmegan. It makes a totally gorgeous lunch. If you can't eat the seeds then there's flax seed, chia, pumpkin - loads of the things to choose from.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Parmigiano-Reggiano? I recall seeing that being sold in the departure lounge area, duty free section, when I was looking for a breakfast to eat before my flight.

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

Dunno - I just call it parmegan since that's what the recipe calls it. It's just cashew nuts, macadamia nuts, nooch (nutritional yeast) and salt if you used unsalted nuts, and any desired herbs/spices. Whizz like crazy until you get the right texture for you. Don't go on for too long or you'll end up with a very savoury sort of nut butter! Pulse the processor is best.

Reactions: Dr Snoddy

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

Having said that, I could go for a savoury nut butter effect and enjoy it on a cracker or two.....

I need some cracker recipes! Aaargh!