Carrot cake, gluten free and low carb

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I suppose there is no reason why it couldn’t be made in one of those loaf tin things? (Another daft question I know).

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I suppose there is no reason why it couldn’t be made in one of those loaf tin things? (Another daft question I know).
Nope. No reason why not - but deeper tins tend to take longer lower heats than shallow higher heats to cook effectively

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you're not sure just poke the cake in the middle with a skewer and it will come out clean when done, otherwise you'll get a bit of sticky mix on it, so leave it just a little longer Take care not to open oven door too much and be quick so as not to lose too much heat. You can also listen for a cake to :singing:sing:singing: which is what I used to do when I was "allowed" to use my oven (and was a trick I taught my MIL who was a much better cake maker than me!!)

Most of my baking I'm expected to do now in my microwave and generally share a mix between 7-8 largish muffin/baking cases (e,g, https://www.amazon.co.uk/GIFBERA-Re...way&sprefix=muffin+cups+llarge,aps,123&sr=8-5)
Little one would probably like these as they're little hand size and all pretty colours. Zap in microwave for about 3mins and again do a pokey test! Such cases can usually be used in ovens too.

Robbity

Reactions: Listlad

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If you're not sure just poke the cake in the middle with a skewer and it will come out clean when done, otherwise you'll get a bit of sticky mix on it, so leave it just a little longer Take care not to open oven door too much and be quick so as not to lose too much heat. You can also listen for a cake to :singing:sing:singing: which is what I used to do when I was "allowed" to use my oven (and was a trick I taught my MIL who was a much better cake maker than me!!)

Most of my baking I'm expected to do now in my microwave and generally share a mix between 7-8 largish muffin/baking cases (e,g, https://www.amazon.co.uk/GIFBERA-Reusable-Cupcake-Baking-Silicone/dp/B07MFX4TMC/ref=sr_1_5?crid=2A8UXSAGGW5SY&keywords=muffin+cups+large&qid=1558786999&s=gateway&sprefix=muffin+cups+llarge,aps,123&sr=8-5)
Little one would probably like these as they're little hand size and all pretty colours. Zap in microwave for about 3mins and again do a pokey test! Such cases can usually be used in ovens too.

Robbity
LOL. Sing?

I know the knife test though from when my wife has baked the occasional cake.

Okay so I will listen out for the Singing.

Reactions: 1spuds

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
1E44C790-912A-4DFC-868C-83D140C07E1E.jpeg

First cake I personally have ever made. The carrots on top are for the youngster who helped me. I had a problem with the carrots, not realising quite so many that I needed (300grams) and I had bought baby carrots. I used Truvia. The cream cheese topping turned out great but the cake itself not quite so great. :D

Last edited:

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done on first efforts. I’m sure it’s still perfectly edible. Baking can be a fine art to perfect.

I’ve no idea of the effect of using baby carrots only ever having used normal ones. Also I personally dislike the taste of truvia? Is it a sweetener you normally find acceptable taste wise? I’ve only ever used erythritol in baking but it is a very personal thing and working out which one and how much takes some trial and error.

Or was the problem density? Maybe the butter and cream needed more mixing and beating to incorporate more air and then when the dry ingredients added a bit less to prevent overmixing and losing the previously gained air.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done on first efforts. I’m sure it’s still perfectly edible. Baking can be a fine art to perfect.

I’ve no idea of the effect of using baby carrots only ever having used normal ones. Also I personally dislike the taste of truvia? Is it a sweetener you normally find acceptable taste wise? I’ve only ever used erythritol in baking but it is a very personal thing and working out which one and how much takes some trial and error.

Or was the problem density? Maybe the butter and cream needed more mixing and beating to incorporate more air and then when the dry ingredients added a bit less to prevent overmixing and losing the previously gained air.
I think I fell into a lot of traps along the way.

• Didn’t melt the butter enough.
  • Couldn’t grate the carrots - too many and too small - so microwaved them and puréed them
  • Perhaps didn’t use enough sweetner in the cake.
  • The density was a bit odd. A bit flat, dare I say eggy. As opposed to light and fluffy. Maybe it needed more air in it?

I am not happy with Truvia except it is okay for baking. Just tastes odd. But don’t they all?

Yes it is edible. The kid likes it. Mrs Listlad doesn’t. The little one enjoyed helping to make it. The cream (Philadelphia) was good.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think I fell into a lot of traps along the way.

• Didn’t melt the butter enough.
  • Couldn’t grate the carrots - too many and too small - so microwaved them and puréed them
  • Perhaps didn’t use enough sweetner in the cake.
  • The density was a bit odd. A bit flat, dare I say eggy. As opposed to light and fluffy. Maybe it needed more air in it?

I am not happy with Truvia except it is okay for baking. Just tastes odd. But don’t they all?

Yes it is edible. The kid likes it. Mrs Listlad doesn’t. The little one enjoyed helping to make it. The cream (Philadelphia) was good.
The butter issue probably didn’t make a huge difference, but beating not just stirring is required to get air. The carrots are probably a large part of the issue, I’m sure that would have changed the texture a fair bit. Maybe if eggs are very large use one less. The sweetener is trial and error. I personally don’t think they all taste the same. Can’t stand stevia in anything. I’d been halving sugar in all recipes for years long before diagnosis so didn’t expect so much sweetness anyway, in an adjustment period maybe a little more is required.

Please don’t be put off and do try again with another or the same cake. It gets easier.

None of my non diabetic guinea pigs noticed mine was low carb, my teenagers preferred it to “sickly” shop bought one.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The butter issue probably didn’t make a huge difference, but beating not just stirring is required to get air. The carrots are probably a large part of the issue, I’m sure that would have changed the texture a fair bit. Maybe if eggs are very large use one less. The sweetener is trial and error. I personally don’t think they all taste the same. Can’t stand stevia in anything. I’d been halving sugar in all recipes for years long before diagnosis so didn’t expect so much sweetness anyway, in an adjustment period maybe a little more is required.

Please don’t be put off and do try again with another or the same cake. It gets easier.

None of my non diabetic guinea pigs noticed mine was low carb, my teenagers preferred it to “sickly” shop bought one.
I will give it another go. It was my first cake, even though I have seen Mrs Listlad making them. I can see where I may have gone wrong, so I can attack those areas next time around including trying a different sweetener.

Reactions: DawnOfTheZed

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I will give it another go. It was my first cake, even though I have seen Mrs Listlad making them. I can see where I may have gone wrong, so I can attack those areas next time around including trying a different sweetener.

I can't help thinking that pureeing the carrots might have been part of this. I appreciate small carrots are much harder to grate efficiently. Do you have a food processor? I'd have put them through that, with a grating blade in. Failing that, if you generally favour small carrots, then rotary grater can work well.

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products...s/strålande-rotary-grater-white-art-40153190/

I'd also think the rotary grater would be safe for your little one to use. Grating a ton of carrots could keep her occupied for a while?

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I can't help thinking that pureeing the carrots might have been part of this. I appreciate small carrots are much harder to grate efficiently. Do you have a food processor? I'd have put them through that, with a grating blade in. Failing that, if you generally favour small carrots, then rotary grater can work well.

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/cookware/kitchen-utensils/strålande-rotary-grater-white-art-40153190/

I'd also think the rotary grater would be safe for your little one to use. Grating a ton of carrots could keep her occupied for a while?
I just didn’t plan ahead. I didn’t give the carrots much thought. I should have bought bigger carrots and then grated them. Strangely enough, although its called Carrot Cake, I didn’t expect the carrots to play such a key part of the ingredients. :D. Until I made the cake.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I just didn’t plan ahead. I didn’t give the carrots much thought. I should have bought bigger carrots and then grated them. Strangely enough, although its called Carrot Cake, I didn’t expect the carrots to play such a key part of the ingredients. :D. Until I made the cake.

Just goes to show, it's always worth noting the titles

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
View attachment 33168

First cake I personally have ever made. The carrots on top are for the youngster who helped me. I had a problem with the carrots, not realising quite so many I needed and I had bought baby carrots. I used Truvia. The cream cheese topping turned out great but the cake itself not quite so great. :D

It does look good though and beautifully decorated too, it's only your first attempt, so well done :)