1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Carrot cake, gluten free and low carb

Discussion in 'Gluten-free Forum' started by Robinredbreast, May 10, 2019.

1. Listlad

Listlad Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

I suppose there is no reason why it couldn’t be made in one of those loaf tin things? (Another daft question I know).

2. HSSS

HSSS Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Nope. No reason why not - but deeper tins tend to take longer lower heats than shallow higher heats to cook effectively

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Listlad

Okay. I didn’t know that. Thanks.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Robbity

Robbity Type 2 · Expert

If you're not sure just poke the cake in the middle with a skewer and it will come out clean when done, otherwise you'll get a bit of sticky mix on it, so leave it just a little longer Take care not to open oven door too much and be quick so as not to lose too much heat. You can also listen for a cake to :singing:sing:singing: which is what I used to do when I was "allowed" to use my oven (and was a trick I taught my MIL who was a much better cake maker than me!!)

Most of my baking I'm expected to do now in my microwave and generally share a mix between 7-8 largish muffin/baking cases (e,g, https://www.amazon.co.uk/GIFBERA-Re...way&sprefix=muffin+cups+llarge,aps,123&sr=8-5)
    Little one would probably like these as they're little hand size and all pretty colours. Zap in microwave for about 3mins and again do a pokey test! Such cases can usually be used in ovens too.

Robbity

• Like Like x 1
  5. Banacheque

Banacheque · Member

Can you send me the receipt for carrot cake

6. HSSS

The one I make is from ditchthecarbs.com

• Useful Useful x 1
  7. Banacheque

Banacheque · Member

Thank you will try it

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Rachox

Rachox Type 2 (in remission!) · Moderator
    Staff Member

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. Banacheque

Banacheque · Member

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. Listlad

LOL. Sing?

I know the knife test though from when my wife has baked the occasional cake.

Okay so I will listen out for the Singing.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Listlad

1E44C790-912A-4DFC-868C-83D140C07E1E.jpeg

First cake I personally have ever made. The carrots on top are for the youngster who helped me. I had a problem with the carrots, not realising quite so many that I needed (300grams) and I had bought baby carrots. I used Truvia. The cream cheese topping turned out great but the cake itself not quite so great. :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Hug Hug x 1
    #31 Listlad, May 26, 2019 at 4:03 PM
    Last edited: May 27, 2019
  12. HSSS

Well done on first efforts. I’m sure it’s still perfectly edible. Baking can be a fine art to perfect.

I’ve no idea of the effect of using baby carrots only ever having used normal ones. Also I personally dislike the taste of truvia? Is it a sweetener you normally find acceptable taste wise? I’ve only ever used erythritol in baking but it is a very personal thing and working out which one and how much takes some trial and error.

Or was the problem density? Maybe the butter and cream needed more mixing and beating to incorporate more air and then when the dry ingredients added a bit less to prevent overmixing and losing the previously gained air.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. Listlad

I think I fell into a lot of traps along the way.

• Didn’t melt the butter enough.
    • Couldn’t grate the carrots - too many and too small - so microwaved them and puréed them
    • Perhaps didn’t use enough sweetner in the cake.
    • The density was a bit odd. A bit flat, dare I say eggy. As opposed to light and fluffy. Maybe it needed more air in it?

I am not happy with Truvia except it is okay for baking. Just tastes odd. But don’t they all?

Yes it is edible. The kid likes it. Mrs Listlad doesn’t. The little one enjoyed helping to make it. The cream (Philadelphia) was good.

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. HSSS

The butter issue probably didn’t make a huge difference, but beating not just stirring is required to get air. The carrots are probably a large part of the issue, I’m sure that would have changed the texture a fair bit. Maybe if eggs are very large use one less. The sweetener is trial and error. I personally don’t think they all taste the same. Can’t stand stevia in anything. I’d been halving sugar in all recipes for years long before diagnosis so didn’t expect so much sweetness anyway, in an adjustment period maybe a little more is required.

Please don’t be put off and do try again with another or the same cake. It gets easier.

None of my non diabetic guinea pigs noticed mine was low carb, my teenagers preferred it to “sickly” shop bought one.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Listlad

I will give it another go. It was my first cake, even though I have seen Mrs Listlad making them. I can see where I may have gone wrong, so I can attack those areas next time around including trying a different sweetener.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Master
    Staff Member Administrator

I can't help thinking that pureeing the carrots might have been part of this. I appreciate small carrots are much harder to grate efficiently. Do you have a food processor? I'd have put them through that, with a grating blade in. Failing that, if you generally favour small carrots, then rotary grater can work well.

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products...s/strålande-rotary-grater-white-art-40153190/

I'd also think the rotary grater would be safe for your little one to use. Grating a ton of carrots could keep her occupied for a while?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  17. Listlad

I just didn’t plan ahead. I didn’t give the carrots much thought. I should have bought bigger carrots and then grated them. Strangely enough, although its called Carrot Cake, I didn’t expect the carrots to play such a key part of the ingredients. :D. Until I made the cake.

• Funny Funny x 2
  18. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Master
    Staff Member Administrator

Just goes to show, it's always worth noting the titles

• Like Like x 1
  19. Robinredbreast

Robinredbreast Type 1 · Oracle

It does look good though and beautifully decorated too, it's only your first attempt, so well done :)

• Like Like x 1
  20. Listlad

Just had another slice. With some double cream. This is really the first cake I have eaten since February.

• Like Like x 2
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook