Jessielouiseb

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone, so I was diagnosed in March, 23 years old, 5ft 9, i weighed 18 stone 4.5 Lbs....I have now lost 2 stone since diagnosis. I follow slimmingworld which has been great. For the last 5-6 weeks my blood sugars have been in normal range, I usually am between a 4 and 5.3 mmol fasting, and rise to about a 7.2 at this highest. (Occasionally it will go higher but not past 8).

I’m happy with my progress so far and shows that for me my weight and previous diet was the cause of this.

I have about another 6- 6.5 stones to lose to be my happy healthy weight...my main question is can further weightloss improve my diabetes more? Because I’ve manager to get it back to normal within a month after diagnosis, so would that be it?
As I lose more weight would my body Handle carbs even better than they are doing now?
I eat between 130-200 grams a day (this includes non starchy veggies), and I test my blood like 8 times a day.

I have read about the Newcastle diet which I find really interesting, I watched professor Roy Taylor’s seminar on YouTube, and like I said was so interesting!, he had shown a before and after picture of one man who did this diet who lost a substantial about of weight and he also showed a picture of one of his blood sugar readings, a 4.6mmol I think it was, an hour after eating a blueberry muffin!, sound mind boggling when I heard that.

So does a smaller body frame handle theway insulin is worked/stored a lot better compared to a obese or overweight person?...unfortunately at this moment in time I’m still classed as obese but I know it won’t be for long as I’m so far so happy with my 2 stone loss.

I know for some weightloss isn’t everything, and some people that are diagnosed with type 2 aren’t overweight...but I know I’m diabetic because of my size.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone, so I was diagnosed in March, 23 years old, 5ft 9, i weighed 18 stone 4.5 Lbs....I have now lost 2 stone since diagnosis. I follow slimmingworld which has been great. For the last 5-6 weeks my blood sugars have been in normal range, I usually am between a 4 and 5.3 mmol fasting, and rise to about a 7.2 at this highest. (Occasionally it will go higher but not past 8).

I’m happy with my progress so far and shows that for me my weight and previous diet was the cause of this.

I have about another 6- 6.5 stones to lose to be my happy healthy weight...my main question is can further weightloss improve my diabetes more? Because I’ve manager to get it back to normal within a month after diagnosis, so would that be it?
As I lose more weight would my body Handle carbs even better than they are doing now?
I eat between 130-200 grams a day (this includes non starchy veggies), and I test my blood like 8 times a day.

I have read about the Newcastle diet which I find really interesting, I watched professor Roy Taylor’s seminar on YouTube, and like I said was so interesting!, he had shown a before and after picture of one man who did this diet who lost a substantial about of weight and he also showed a picture of one of his blood sugar readings, a 4.6mmol I think it was, an hour after eating a blueberry muffin!, sound mind boggling when I heard that.

So does a smaller body frame handle theway insulin is worked/stored a lot better compared to a obese or overweight person?...unfortunately at this moment in time I’m still classed as obese but I know it won’t be for long as I’m so far so happy with my 2 stone loss.

I know for some weightloss isn’t everything, and some people that are diagnosed with type 2 aren’t overweight...but I know I’m diabetic because of my size.

maybe weight loss will help you even more, but when once being diabetic one needs to forever be aware of at what level one's carbs are in total daily...

M

Member496333

Hi Jessie. You didn’t get diabetes just because of obesity. The two are inextricably linked, but one doesn’t cause the other. They are both coexisting symptoms of excessive circulating insulin.

Jessielouiseb

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Jessie. You didn’t get diabetes just because of obesity. The two are inextricably linked, but one doesn’t cause the other. They are both coexisting symptoms of excessive circulating insulin.

I just meant I want doing myself any favours being overweight and that I clearly wasn’t helping my self....so when I get to a healthy weight would the insulin be producing and working better than it is now?, I mean I said my blood sugar is back to normal but will another 6 stone loss help everything better?

M

Member496333

I just meant I want doing myself any favours being overweight and that I clearly wasn’t helping my self....so when I get to a healthy weight would the insulin be producing and working better than it is now?, I mean I said my blood sugar is back to normal but will another 6 stone loss help everything better?

Yeah. Losing weight will give insulin a better chance of moving the glucose into your cells, but it’s the reduced insulin concentration from your new diet that is allowing you to lose weight. Think of it as one hand washing the other. You didn’t bring this on yourself by being obese, you became obese because you were eating insulinogenic foods, not because you were fat and lazy :)

Reactions: Freema

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Jessie, congratulations on your weight loss so far and your determination to lose more. I can only tell you what I’ve done to achieve non diabetic blood sugars and HbA1cs plus 6 1/2 stone weight loss. I was diagnosed Type 2 in May ‘17 and immediately went on a low carb diet, I started initially with keeping under 100g carbs/day and gradually over 8-10 weeks reduced to 30-50g/day. That’s the level I have maintained since. I lost 5 stone in the first year and the rest over the second year. I have gone from morbidly obese to just over the ‘healthy’ zone. I do take Metformin as well which helps with the weight loss which was proven last autumn when I lowered the dose with my GP’s blessing and my weight loss stalled. I put the dose back up and weight is now going down again albeit very slowly now. I favour the low carb approach as I don’t feel hungry and miserable on it as I have done on different diets in the past. Many members here have lost weight on low carb diet alone.
In answer to your question my liver function tests were abnormal at diagnosis indicating fat around my internal organs, that would include my pancreas. My liver function tests are now normal indicating my visceral fat has reduced (infact my visceral fat measures as normal on my hubby’s all singing all dancing Tanita scales) and therefore my liver and pancreas must be working more efficiently

Reactions: Freema

Jessielouiseb

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yeah. Losing weight will give insulin a better chance of moving the glucose into your cells, but it’s the reduced insulin concentration from your new diet that is allowing you to lose weight. Think of it as one hand washing the other. You didn’t bring this on yourself by being obese, you became obese because you were eating insulinogenic foods, not because you were fat and lazy :)
Thanks for clearing that up, makes more sense than how I was putting it.

Jessielouiseb

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Jessie, congratulations on your weight loss so far and your determination to lose more. I can only tell you what I’ve done to achieve non diabetic blood sugars and HbA1cs plus 6 1/2 stone weight loss. I was diagnosed Type 2 in May ‘17 and immediately went on a low carb diet, I started initially with keeping under 100g carbs/day and gradually over 8-10 weeks reduced to 30-50g/day. That’s the level I have maintained since. I lost 5 stone in the first year and the rest over the second year. I have gone from morbidly obese to just over the ‘healthy’ zone. I do take Metformin as well which helps with the weight loss which was proven last autumn when I lowered the dose with my GP’s blessing and my weight loss stalled. I put the dose back up and weight is now going down again albeit very slowly now. I favour the low carb approach as I don’t feel hungry and miserable on it as I have done on different diets in the past. Many members here have lost weight on low carb diet alone.
In answer to your question my liver function tests were abnormal at diagnosis indicating fat around my internal organs, that would include my pancreas. My liver function tests are now normal indicating my visceral fat has reduced (infact my visceral fat measures as normal on my hubby’s all singing all dancing Tanita scales) and therefore my liver and pancreas must be working more efficiently
Wow amazing! Well done on the weightloss you have achieved....so I know you said you do low carb now, but since you visceral fat is now normal have you tried a higher carb food to see how your body reacts?.

And how do you know if you have visceral fat? I presume I would as someone who is currently obese and has a lot of fat around my midriff.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Wow amazing! Well done on the weightloss you have achieved....so I know you said you do low carb now, but since you visceral fat is now normal have you tried a higher carb food to see how your body reacts?.

And how do you know if you have visceral fat? I presume I would as someone who is currently obese and has a lot of fat around my midriff.

Thank you for your kind words. To be honest I enjoy the food I eat now and have only dared to nick a couple of chips or a spoonful of dessert from hubby’s plate. I have never tried anymore high carb food than that since diagnosis. My belief is that once diabetic, always diabetic, I don’t think my tolerance of carbs will have returned to completely normal. I have ‘in remission’ under my Avatar here as it’s the closest choice, I prefer to describe myself as ‘very well controlled’.
The only definitive way to see if visceral fat is back to normal would be to have some kind of scan I guess, I can only go by my liver function tests, my hubby’s scales and my reduced waistline!

Reactions: KookieMunchster

Jessielouiseb

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for your kind words. To be honest I enjoy the food I eat now and have only dared to nick a couple of chips or a spoonful of dessert from hubby’s plate. I have never tried anymore high carb food than that since diagnosis. My belief is that once diabetic, always diabetic, I don’t think my tolerance of carbs will have returned to completely normal. I have ‘in remission’ under my Avatar here as it’s the closest choice, I prefer to describe myself as ‘very well controlled’.
The only definitive way to see if visceral fat is back to normal would be to have some kind of scan I guess, I can only go by my liver function tests, my hubby’s scales and my reduced waistline!

Thanks for sharing, I understand everyone with diabetes is different In what we can and can’t eat, like my body seems to handle 130-200 grams of carbs okay (wholegrain, fruits, veggies - spread out through the day), but I know for some that’s way too much for them.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I suspect - as you are eating so much in the way of carbs and including wholegrain too and then getting those blood glucose levels, that you are a contender for reversal.
My ability to deal with carbs is far more fragile. I get the low numbers, but only by eating under 50gm of carbs a day and all from low carb sources, less than 10 percent except for some high cocoa chocolate carefully rationed out, and not every week even then.
I can't make any promises, of course, but your results so far are rather enviable.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I follow slimmingworld which has been great. For the last 5-6 weeks my blood sugars have been in normal range, I usually am between a 4 and 5.3 mmol fasting, and rise to about a 7.2 at this highest. (Occasionally it will go higher but not past 8).

If you reduce your carb content I think you'd find more level blood sugar readings. Due to eating virtually no carbs whatsoever my readings are usually between 4.5 and 5.5 mmol/l and I'm very happy with that. The problem with eating so many carbs and slimming world is that maintaining and increasing weight loss will likely become far harder as the restriction in calories contributes to lowering of your metabolism. Losing weight is fairly "easy" ...maintaining that loss over time is far harder so its better to lose the weight following a way of eating that you can maintain forever.

Jessielouiseb

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you reduce your carb content I think you'd find more level blood sugar readings. Due to eating virtually no carbs whatsoever my readings are usually between 4.5 and 5.5 mmol/l and I'm very happy with that. The problem with eating so many carbs and slimming world is that maintaining and increasing weight loss will likely become far harder as the restriction in calories contributes to lowering of your metabolism. Losing weight is fairly "easy" ...maintaining that loss over time is far harder so its better to lose the weight following a way of eating that you can maintain forever.

We have people who have done slimming world and maintained it for several years, it’s not a fad diet it’s too a lifestyle...there’s been many type 2 diabetics who have reversed their diabetes and kept the weight off too...and I don’t load my plate up with carbs, I ensure I’ve got some sort of fat and protein, a lot of veggies with a few carbs like potatoes, beans or rice.
Our blood sugar aren’t meant to be a straight line, everyone’s fluctuates, diabetes or no diabetes, it’s doesnt cause damage as long as it’s within non diabetic levels before and post meals. By 2 hours my blood sugar is near enough back to a 5 mmol

Caeseji

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self-fellating idiots that don't at all look at other people's views
Hey you’re doing well and that is what counts here @Jessielouiseb and I congratulate you for that. I do believe there isn’t one best diet for all and I noticed that when I cut down the carbs I lost weight naturally but if this is working for your glucose then that’s wonderful. Just keep on working hard and getting the results you want! Just keep a handle on your levels, if you note an upwards trend then be ready. I do believe earlier we make changes the harder hitting they are to the condition.