Barenaked noodles

Flic2019

So I really love pasta and stuff but need to cut it out. I have found these noodles which are no sugar and very low carb. They are pricey though so wondered if anyone had tried them and if so... what are they like?

Or. Does anyone have any good other products like them? I’m wary of shirtaki noodles as apparantly they smell fishy before cooked and that’s one thing I wouldn’t be able to deal with.

Anyway I will stop rambling. Link below if it works .

Thanks for reading xxx

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Barenakedf...rtaki+noodles&qid=1559136811&s=gateway&sr=8-3

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So far as I know shirataki noodles are made from konjak flour as are these?
They are ok as a transport of sauces but are pretty bland themselves..
Personally I just make what ever I would have used as sauce and employ a spoon to transport it from plate to mouth and save the money on the "noodles" naked or otherwise. But that's just me...

Reactions: DawnOfTheZed

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
There's quite a difference in carb values on these Konjac rice/noodle alternatives so check the nutritional value, although they are all promoted as low carb, you are supposed to wash them before using which get's rid of the smell and you can't smell it when they are cooked, but if you can't do without the noodle/rice/spaghetti part of your meal then they are an ok alternative, just bland. I have tried them a few times and they are ok, but I prefer making courgette spirals or cauliflower rice and less expensive.

Flic2019

Thanks guys. I probably won’t bother. Unless I find them a lot cheaper just to try.

Cauliflower rice is intriguing. I’m going to try this :)

Thanks again xx

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've never really liked the prepackaged low carb noodles or pasta, I've always enjoyed zoodles (Zucchini), caroodles (carrots) and cauliflower rice. Which are much healthier and lower carb to eat and doesn't take long to cook and can be eaten raw with other stuff.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What you basically need is a carrier for the sauce. Get a spiralizer and try the courgette noodles.

Caeseji

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self-fellating idiots that don't at all look at other people's views
Can confirm that spiralised courgette is amazing and fried rice made with cauliflower or broccoli rice is delish too! Much better than the konjac noodles/rice.

Reactions: Guna108

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I also like to note that if you have the time you can try making pasta using almond flour. It is a keto and LCHF friendly alternative :)

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
I also like to note that if you have the time you can try making pasta using almond flour. It is a keto and LCHF friendly alternative :)

You got a recipe for that or is it the same ingredients as normal pasta but just with the substitution?

It's an interesting thought!

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You got a recipe for that or is it the same ingredients as normal pasta but just with the substitution?

I've read some people add tapioca flour which T2's might not be a fond of because of the carb content.

https://www.gnom-gnom.com/grain-free-keto-pasta/ - I've found this recipe without tapioca flour, but instead coconut and almond flour with xanthan gum, I guess it stop it from falling apart.
I've seen people bake bread, muffins, cake etc with almond flour.

https://tasty.co/recipe/2-ingredient-pasta - I've also found this one which is cheese and eggs (not vegan friendly) but it is interesting to see pasta made with just those ingredients.

Reactions: WuTwo

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
I've baked with almond flour too - it works very well.

Reactions: MeiChanski

Gran25

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thinly sliced cabbage is my go to substitute for noodles.

malcs90

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I use the bare naked rice and find it a good alternative if a little bit pricy.

Diawara

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

where can i purchase almond flour at a reasonably price in the u.k. ? i used to grind up almonds in the food processer till it burnt out surely some one knows a catering suppliers website somewhere ?

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
where can i purchase almond flour at a reasonably price in the u.k. ? i used to grind up almonds in the food processer till it burnt out surely some one knows a catering suppliers website somewhere ?
I get it in Makro, £10 a kilo.

Reactions: MeiChanski

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Amazon or any health food store has it. But have a look in wholesale food places like Costco and Makro

welovedzig

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I have never found konjac to be the least bit fishy and you can get on Amazon at subscription prices.Good in a stirfry for a change.