Q007

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who tell lies.
My GP (Dr Doom).
If I've eaten, waited and tested after 2hrs, can I start the process over again.

I've had some dinner and tested, I'd like to know when I can have supper and my bloods done again, I'm assuming there's a gap but not sure. Just dont want my previous meal affecting the next.

Sugars back up up again, 8.9 after night fast, dont get it, i dropped to 7.4 the other morning with night fast. Thanking you again, Q

cireland

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What are you having for supper? - Everyone is different, as a type 1 LADA I just inject to cover for it, but before I had to take insulin I didn't have a specified time as such between waiting I would just use my sugar levels as a guide, if I was hovering around 4-6 I'd eat something if I was already 7 and over I wouldn't unless it was low carb/protein based.

Reactions: Q007

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
I try to stick to fixed meal times: 7 am, 1 pm and 7 pm, to give time for my blood sugars to subside after eating. My blood sugars have to be below 6 or I skip a meal (intermittent fast). I've been skipping breakfast recently for the last month to clear my morning sugars.

Reactions: 1spuds

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I am afraid to say it will be your suppers causing the higher than acceptable morning fasting levels.

To answer your question, if you are going to have your supper, test again before you eat it and again an hour or 2 hours later assuming you are still up. You realise that by eating suppers and snacks in between meals means you are making your pancreas continue to secrete insulin. This will not help your insulin resistance one bit. The more insulin we have circulating in our blood stream, the worse our diabetes will become.

Reactions: Shas3
D

Deleted member 308541

I've had some dinner and tested, I'd like to know when I can have supper and my bloods done again, I'm assuming there's a gap but not sure. Just dont want my previous meal affecting the next.
I eat three meals a day, I test two hours after breakfast at 9:00 am. I have lunch around 12:00 pm so it would be three hour since I tested. I have dinner around 5 or 6:00 pm so another three hour difference.

It would be close on twelve hours between after dinner and my fasting bgl test.

It works for me.

Reactions: Shas3 and 1spuds

Q007

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who tell lies.
My GP (Dr Doom).
I am afraid to say it will be your suppers causing the higher than acceptable morning fasting levels.

To answer your question, if you are going to have your supper, test again before you eat it and again an hour or 2 hours later assuming you are still up. You realise that by eating suppers and snacks in between meals means you are making your pancreas continue to secrete insulin. This will not help your insulin resistance one bit. The more insulin we have circulating in our blood stream, the worse our diabetes will become.
Thank you very much Q

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
If you are not taking any medication which would affect your blood glucose levels then I really do recommend eating early and late - and not snacking in between.

Q007

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who tell lies.
My GP (Dr Doom).
Thank you very much Q
At what time latest should I have supper then? All meal time vary ATM . if my supper is shunting through to following day I could do with knowing what's the latest I could eat at night.

Supper is one of my main meals I dont have lunch and was going to try soups as I'm fading between breakfast and dinner, I just can't imagine soup without a roll though and I stopped breads 2 months ago.

So if if leave it 4 hrs after a meal before I can eat and test without distortion from the previous meal would I be reading you right? Q.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
It isn't a distortion - it is what your level is at that time.
Eat a hearty breakfast and have coffee with cream to start the day, If you find yourself flagging then more coffee and maybe cold meat, eggs or cheese with salad - don't forget the mayonnaise or other dressing - would be a good idea.
Having just soup seems a bit dismal.
I have always found it better to eat sooner rather than having energy levels drop - but these days I can eat at 12 hour intervals and not feel hungry.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Don't forget your morning fasting reading may be affected by the dawn phenomenon. It's usually the last number to come down. At what time of day are you having supper?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
At what time latest should I have supper then? All meal time vary ATM . if my supper is shunting through to following day I could do with knowing what's the latest I could eat at night.

Supper is one of my main meals I dont have lunch and was going to try soups as I'm fading between breakfast and dinner, I just can't imagine soup without a roll though and I stopped breads 2 months ago.

So if if leave it 4 hrs after a meal before I can eat and test without distortion from the previous meal would I be reading you right? Q.

The longer you leave between meals the better.

My personal eating times are
9am light breakfast (one soft boiled egg)
1pm lunch
7pm dinner (main meal)

Nothing in between except cups of tea and water. This gives me a 4 hour break between breakfast and lunch, 6 hour break between lunch and dinner, and a 14 hour gap over night.

M

Member496333

Depends if you want to beat diabetes or manage it. If it’s the former, then it isn’t about making it from one meal to the next. It’s about the cumulative effect of everything you put into your body over time. The sugar load in your system is elastic, and doesn’t reset between meals.

If you prefer to manage the condition - which is fine if that’s what you choose - then you should probably wait until your blood glucose is at least below 7 before eating again. If that’s achievable for you of course.

Reactions: Shas3 and Q007

Q007

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who tell lies.
My GP (Dr Doom).
The longer you leave between meals the better.

My personal eating times are
9am light breakfast (one soft boiled egg)
1pm lunch
7pm dinner (main meal)

Nothing in between except cups of tea and water. This gives me a 4 hour break between breakfast and lunch, 6 hour break between lunch and dinner, and a 14 hour gap over night.
Can you work on this with me please? I haven't eaten since around 11pm last night so fasted until 14:53pm today and my bgs test was 9.9.

I'm beginning to wonder there's something more going on that I can't work out. For supper I had charcoal & rye crackers x3 @ 2.9gr per cracker, I usually have 2, I topped them with Cheddar cheese and tomato and felt a bit low last night so had a small bag of 'real crisps' I had two cans of Pepsi max to drink. So diminished eating about 11:15pm last night.

Is there any truth in the saying dont eat after 9pm?

I dont feel hungry today and this often happens, other days I'm looking for something to eat all the time, I'm not doing very well really most mornings after at least a 7 hour gap my night fast bgs are 8.9.

As always, thank you in anticipation of a reply. Q.

Q007

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who tell lies.
My GP (Dr Doom).
Depends if you want to beat diabetes or manage it. If it’s the former, then it isn’t about making it from one meal to the next. It’s about the cumulative effect of everything you put into your body over time. The sugar load in your system is elastic, and doesn’t reset between meals.

If you prefer to manage the condition - which is fine if that’s what you choose - then you should probably wait until your blood glucose is at least below 7 before eating again. If that’s achievable for you of course.
Thank you Jim. Q. I need to manage then go for remission scores at my hba1c. I didn't see your reply before I posted another which you've answered.

I don't how people can eat a boiled egg all the way till lunch, then lunch at 12/1pm all the way till 7pm.

TBH I think I'm still clinging on to some on the XPERT conditioning where they told us for 8 weeks to embrace carbs then my next hba1c came out at 40. I think the drugs I take are keeping BG up, stress, general ill health with heart and kidney failure. So my starting point is probably higher.

I dont know, I do know I'm so fed up today.

Hoping you're well, Q.

M

Member496333

Thank you Jim. Q. I need to manage then go for remission scores at my hba1c. I didn't see your reply before I posted another which you've answered.

I don't how people can eat a boiled egg all the way till lunch, then lunch at 12/1pm all the way till 7pm.

TBH I think I'm still clinging on to some on the XPERT conditioning where they told us for 8 weeks to embrace carbs then my next hba1c came out at 40. I think the drugs I take are keeping BG up, stress, general ill health with heart and kidney failure. So my starting point is probably higher.

I dont know, I do know I'm so fed up today.

Hoping you're well, Q.

Sure thing. If you’re curious, I started a discussion some time ago that hopefully explains in more detail what I meant in my post above. I will link to it below in order to save dragging this thread off topic. Have a look if you’re interested;

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/eat-to-the-meter-or-play-the-long-game.160371/

Q007

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who tell lies.
My GP (Dr Doom).
Sure thing. If you’re curious, I started a discussion some time ago that hopefully explains in more detail what I meant in my post above. I will link to it below in order to save dragging this thread off topic. Have a look if you’re interested;

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/eat-to-the-meter-or-play-the-long-game.160371/
Thank you Jim I'll most certainly read it, its just so disheartening when you're fasting for such a long time then test up a high number so anything that can rase that is a win for me. I'll read now.
Hoping the day finds you well Jim, Q.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I find that fasting raises BG levels - helpful ol' liver pumping out glucose so I can trek miles to find food or run down something tasty.
I should not be fasting in the run up to having a bloodtest - though I am not convinced that it is going to happen even now.

M

Member496333

Rising blood glucose when fasting is a good thing in the bigger picture. It’s the body trying to purge its sugar burden. Keep burning it off, stop putting more in, and in the fullness of time this should ease off as the liver manages to burn off some its fat and once again become more sensitive to insulin.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Stop eating carbs. Eat more fat.