metformin

scoobysdad

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,i was diagnosed type 1 6 weeks ago and I am on 10 Levemir twice a day and 10 novorapid 3 times with meals' am now on 1500 metformin daily, but I am struggling with gas and violent diarrhoea ,(last night 10 times),I am waiting mri results for bowel pain, and a prostate cancer survivor.I need to come off these pain inducing tablets, can I just stop them or will I have to wean off them, going to ring nurses this morning or maybe gp.
thanks for listening

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @scoobysdad I tried metformin a few years ago, was having issues with insulin resistance, after experiencing stomach pain and wind and then trying the slow release version I found it didn't make any difference at all, so for me it was a bit of a waste of time taking it.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I had the same experience - I just stopped taking them and felt a lot better in a day or so - please report the reaction - I could not as I was prescribed two medications and started and stopped them on the same day.

scoobysdad

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
just had results of mri,definite Pancreatitis,they think is benign but getting another mri in 3 months to see if any change, stopping the metformin and see how I get on, with higher doses of insulin next week. and pancreas not putting out an enzyme but can't remember the name.

Jaded Judi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
just had results of mri,definite Pancreatitis,they think is benign but getting another mri in 3 months to see if any change, stopping the metformin and see how I get on, with higher doses of insulin next week. and pancreas not putting out an enzyme but can't remember the name.

Jaded Judi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi . Probably called pancreatic endocrine insufficiency as I don't produce enzymes either. Have to take creon with every meal. I have had tummy issues too. Good luck J