Vegetarians: What have you eaten today?

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Going to a vegan potluck today so I made a pasta with
Brown rice rotini (for the gluten free ones)
Mushroom sauce, broccoli, mushrooms, green onion, green, yellow and red peppers for color and flavor and WuTwo’s Parmegan added the final excellent touch!

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
@iamook - I tried brown rice milk for the first time over the weekend. I liked it, but not as much as I like the Oatly. I've grown to be very fond of the Oatly range.

If you're in the UK which brand do you use?

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
B. Scrambled tofu, seitan bacon, tinned tomatoes with parmegan sprinkled liberally on top

L. I took soup to work but it was tinned and when I read it the tin said milk and butter were in the soup so I couldn't have it. Luckily I had an emergency pack of Itsu Crystal Noodles with Veg. Paste - turned out to be extremely savoury.

D. Jackfruit burgers in buns - we are being lazy, and will think about proper cooking again tomorrow. But I love jackfruit burgers in buns - home made buns, but bought jackfruit burgers. Yum.

Reactions: Marie 2

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
I keep seeing jackfruit burgers and haven’t tried them yet. I keep thinking they sound like they have a sweet flavor? Can you describe what they taste like?

My fav burger is the Beyond Meat one.

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

We buy several different flavours, and for pizza we use the tinned stuff and marinade it in whatever flavour we want it to be.

Last night's burgers were a BBQ flavour but we have some that are a jackfruit/edamame mix and they are just a savoury flavour. If I make them I add umami paste to the mix on the basis that it givess such a savoury flavour and enhances anything.

Tinned jackfruit - get the young stuff in tins, in water and not sweetened syrup for the best to eat. If you get older tinned jackfruit it takes a lot of cooking. Young jackfruit just breaks up and pulls apart and is gorgeous! Syrupy stuff would be revoltingly sweet but in water it makes a great savoury dish.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks WuTwo! I haven’t ever seen the tinned, but I haven’t looked either! So I will have to check it out! I keep seeing a frozen brand in different flavors and have wondered about it. I keep thinking it might be sweet, so I hadn’t tried it yet. It sounds like it isn’t necessarily sweet then. Thanks for the tips!!

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
I had vegan pizza!! The place I get it at really piles on the veggies, olives, mushrooms, green peppers and onions. It’s a solid thick layer of veggies. Sooo good! You can get it with vegan cheese, but I actually like it better without!

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

Thanks WuTwo! I haven’t ever seen the tinned, but I haven’t looked either! So I will have to check it out! I keep seeing a frozen brand in different flavors and have wondered about it. I keep thinking it might be sweet, so I hadn’t tried it yet. It sounds like it isn’t necessarily sweet then. Thanks for the tips!!

We buy ready made jackfruit burgers and pizza for lazy nights, and tinned jackfruit for when we want to cook our own food.

I've never had sweet jackfruit!

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

I had the most gorgeous Buddha bowl of veggies for lunch - all chopped, all raw:

1 courgette
5 babycorn
half a baby cauli
3" piece of cucumber
6 cherry tomatoes (halved)
Medium sized carrot

with 25g (roughly) of sunflower seeds sprinkled on top, then 2 dsp of parmigan, then a good glug of basil infused olive oil over the whole bowl.

Took ages to eat and was totally gorgeous!

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

It's Friday and I'm so chuffed the working week is over that I celebrated by having a seitan bacon sandwich (with onion relish) for lunch, followed by an Alpro dark chocolate dessert pot! I don't know what came over me but I thoroughly enjoyed it. I hardly ever go for stuff like that. Ah well - we all need a change now and again.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
The same website that has the parmegan recipe has a baked tofu recipe
https://itdoesnttastelikechicken.com/baked-tofu-bites/

But I like things to be easy so it gave me an idea.
I bought cubed tofu, sprayed it with some braggs aminos and then liberally tossed it with as much nutritional yeast as I could get it coated with and then stuck it in the toaster oven at 450 for 30 minutes. It did stick to the foil so I did have to knock it off of it, so next time I might try to coat the foil with olive oil.

I ended up having a bowl of it for my lunch. Next time I might try some chives or some melted vegan cheese on it.

But I loved it and it was easy! Came out with a slight crisp to the outside and a middle soft.

Reactions: WuTwo

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

@Marie 2 That's my go-to website for easy and tasty dishes, especially if I'm feeding non-veegs. This weekend I'm doing her banana chocolate chip cookies to take to work on Monday.

I'm making more seitan bacon and steaks today, because otherwise I'll end up having to get store-bought food and I much prefer knowing exactly what I'm eating!

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
I've gotten quite spoiled and buy it ready made. I like the Sweet Earth Seitan and Yves Canadian Bacon.
There was a local company that makes a seitan that's only 4 or 5 ingredients and grills it, when my husband went back to visit his mom he got 12 of them for me and packed them into his suitcase to bring home.

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

Lucky you - it's hideously expensive over here; cheaper by far to make my own and I make about 40 rashers of bacon out of one recipe (you make two different seitans and sandwich them together), and six steaks out of the recipe for them. With the steaks I either eat them as they are or chop them up and use them in other recipes.

One day this week I want to make the creamy coconut garlic mushrooms again - they were just gorgeous!

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
I was very lucky in that I owned a health food store for 26 years (until 2 years ago) and got it at cost, I also would get sent stuff free to try or deals to carry it in the store. And then there was the trade show where I got to go around and try all the new stuff and talk to the companies. Of course you have the headaches of owning a store to make up for that!!!

But it was a wonderful way to keep track of new stuff coming out and being able to try it!

Where I have moved to everything is more expensive now!

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

Wow - but how wonderful to have owned such a shop! Must have been hard work, but so worthwhile.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Mixed asian veggies with 5 spice seitan, cauliflower rice and mushroom gravy!

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yesterday:
Soy-Coconut-Yoghurt with chopped-up almonds, peanuts, coconut, hazelnuts and vanilla
Steamed broccoli, green asparagus, kohlrabi, bell peppers and peanutbutter-soysauce dip
Protein bread with butter, cheese and tomatos and grated radishes, kohlrabi, cucumber, carrot, bell pepper and yoghurt dip

Reactions: Marie 2 and WuTwo

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

Nice choices!

I had home made seitan bacon and mushrooms for brekkie (with a glass of oatmilk and ground flax seeds).

Lunch is a bowl of raw veggies (carrot, cauli, courgette, cherry tomatoes, cucumber and babycorn with parmegan on top, and some sunflower seeds, the bowl is drizzled with white truffle olive oil - my touch of luxury for the day - from the supermarket)
I'll have some no-sugar jelly with chia seeds afterwards.

Dinner tonight is a vegetable deep quiche (home made) and I'll have steamed broccoli and edamame beans with it. I have strawberries and coconut yoghurt to follow.