Is this normal.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’ve only been on insulin for 4 days. Yesterday afternoon I felt really wierd - very tired and a bit shakey. I had a sugery drink and after an hour and a bit I felt okay. Is this normal while I get used to the insulin. My sugars were 16 which is normal for me at the monent.

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Were they 16 when you felt shaky? When you've been sitting high for a while and you start to get into more normal levels you can feel hypo symptoms (referred to as false hypos) but I wouldn't imagine you should be feeling that at 16 unless you'd been well in the 20's right before and dropped quickly, you shouldn't really have had a sugary drink though as your sugars were already high and there was no risk to you, you should've tried to trick your brain by eating some cheese or something with low to no carbs
xx

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
what was your reading when you felt like this?

I have never taken insulin nor type 1 but look up “false hypo” if it was still a reasonable figure not below 4. If your body is used to such high numbers as 16 a quick reduction can feel very odd even if not in the danger area

Severe_Needle_phobia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Been told lies , fake people
I’ve only been on insulin for 4 days. Yesterday afternoon I felt really wierd - very tired and a bit shakey. I had a sugery drink and after an hour and a bit I felt okay. Is this normal while I get used to the insulin. My sugars were 16 which is normal for me at the monent.
Hi @Geordie Newbie

Warm welcome to the forum.

SB.25

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin

Hiya, when I was diagnosed back in November my bloods were usually between 18-20 and up until a couple of months back even when hitting a 7 I began to feel hypos. This was just because my body was so used to being high all the time. As time goes on having lower numbers should start to feel more normal :).

Best of luck with everything!

Reactions: Barbara93

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
welcome @Geordie Newbie, I too think it is just that your body was used to very high levels of blood glucose and you now have to adapt to normal levels again

Reactions: 1spuds

Gaffer type 1

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Food lol
Hi all
Ive been diagnosed with type 1.5 LADA last week.
Yesterday and today had hypo my reading was 4 during soon as I had friut juice was back with it again within half an hr.
I did t no you can have false hypo with high numbers.
But I'm always high while on tablets, but now using myself as a pin cushion levels have come down dramically.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all
Ive been diagnosed with type 1.5 LADA last week.
Yesterday and today had hypo my reading was 4 during soon as I had friut juice was back with it again within half an hr.
I did t no you can have false hypo with high numbers.
But I'm always high while on tablets, but now using myself as a pin cushion levels have come down dramically.

4 can be a hypo a real hypo

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Make sure you use the meter next time you feel shaky etc so you know whether to take some glucose or not. Make sure you get the right guidance from the nurse over the coming weeks to adjust the insulin to gradually bring your blood sugar down to near normal

Gaffer type 1

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Food lol
Hi. Make sure you use the meter next time you feel shaky etc so you know whether to take some glucose or not. Make sure you get the right guidance from the nurse over the coming weeks to adjust the insulin to gradually bring your blood sugar down to near normal
Hi diabell
I did have my meter with me within 15 mins bak up to 6.2.
As I have an energetic job I thought it was mayb contributing to the low sugar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you for all your advice and support.

Another question after my rushed lunch - normally 30 minutes but down to 20ish after having to inject - every afternoon I feel really wierd, feeling sick and so so tired. After about an hour I feel back to normal. Its been every afternoon this week. Plus I have no appetite. By lunch time I’m not usually hungry. Sone nights when I get hone I’m hungry other nights I’m not. I’m dreading the week after next. I have one shift 10-8pm then I start the next morning at 8.00 am!

Nurse is ringing me tomorrow to see how I’m getting on. Okay I think if I can get my appetite sorted.

Reactions: Freema

Benmyers

I was diagnosed about 3 weeks ago with type 1, at the time by blood sugars were 27 and have some down to below 10 in a short time.
I sometimes get the shakes when I'm not low but when I do have a proper low I don't notice right away.
Today I was 3.3 before lunch and didn't feel any different

Reactions: Freema