Type 1 Street Food and Injecting - Cuba

Rwarder28

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

I'm reasonably newly diagnosed Type 1, (2 months on Friday) but I have a decent grasp of T1 from my mum and sister who have been diabetic my whole life.
I had to hit the ground running a bit with a few other holidays under my belt already but only for a couple of days and in Europe so no real concerns about losing control or being out of contact with family or dsn etc but in the end I haven't had any issues.

I'm off to Cuba on my honeymoon in a few weeks, super excited and feeling pretty confident as far as carb counting and managing my levels in general.
From what I've researched Havana has awesome street food and lots of tiny independent restaurants (literally peoples houses) that we're eager to try rather than just eating in the hotel.
I'm confident to inject in public, in restaurants and cafes etc where I'm sitting down and can test my blood first and feel a bit less conspicuous.

My question is: how do others get around injecting in public? Do you just whip your pen out in the street or try to find a bathroom, or just stand in a corner/ somewhere slightly more private?

Ideally I would have a pump and libra but I have to do my DAFNE first!

Also any nice Havana/Cuba stories appreciated :)

Reactions: porl69

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Hi @Rwarder28 and welcome to the forum. Big congrats on getting married AND for gaining control of your diabetes so quickly :). As for injecting in public...it does not bother me at all and I would inject wherever I needed to. Same as Knikki, I have had it that long it does not bother me if people look. Try and be a little discreet if you can, most people will not even notice what you are doing.
Enjoy Cuba :)

Rwarder28

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you both for the advice and congratulations :D

Any opinions on medical thermometers like MedAngel or will a Frio bag be enough for carrying my pens about?

We have fridges in both hotels so my 'stock' will be fine but during the day I don't want it to get too hot and I don't think cold bottles of water will be as accessible as they were in Madrid!

Reactions: Knikki and porl69

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Thank you both for the advice and congratulations :D

Any opinions on medical thermometers like MedAngel or will a Frio bag be enough for carrying my pens about?

We have fridges in both hotels so my 'stock' will be fine but during the day I don't want it to get too hot and I don't think cold bottles of water will be as accessible as they were in Madrid!

Frio bags are amazing. You can get a small single pen one for carrying around.