1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Type 1 Street Food and Injecting - Cuba

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by Rwarder28, Jun 12, 2019.

1. Rwarder28

Rwarder28 Type 1 · Newbie

Hi

I'm reasonably newly diagnosed Type 1, (2 months on Friday) but I have a decent grasp of T1 from my mum and sister who have been diabetic my whole life.
    I had to hit the ground running a bit with a few other holidays under my belt already but only for a couple of days and in Europe so no real concerns about losing control or being out of contact with family or dsn etc but in the end I haven't had any issues.

I'm off to Cuba on my honeymoon in a few weeks, super excited and feeling pretty confident as far as carb counting and managing my levels in general.
    From what I've researched Havana has awesome street food and lots of tiny independent restaurants (literally peoples houses) that we're eager to try rather than just eating in the hotel.
    I'm confident to inject in public, in restaurants and cafes etc where I'm sitting down and can test my blood first and feel a bit less conspicuous.

My question is: how do others get around injecting in public? Do you just whip your pen out in the street or try to find a bathroom, or just stand in a corner/ somewhere slightly more private?

Ideally I would have a pump and libra but I have to do my DAFNE first!

Also any nice Havana/Cuba stories appreciated :)

• Like Like x 1
  2. Knikki

Knikki Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hello @Rwarder28 welcome to the forum. Been to many places in the world and these days with pans and blood meters it is relatively easy to be discrete in public to test or inject. Did get and odd look when I was in Hawkshead, Lake District, walking down the street and injecting at the same time, but I'm at that age and this so long I no longer care.

Have fun in Havana, never been but heard its good.

Congratulations on your marrage and ap and coming honeymoon :)

Actually thinking about it, just keep your repeat prescription or note from the Dr handy just in case someone does ask.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. porl69

porl69 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi @Rwarder28 and welcome to the forum. Big congrats on getting married AND for gaining control of your diabetes so quickly :). As for injecting in public...it does not bother me at all and I would inject wherever I needed to. Same as Knikki, I have had it that long it does not bother me if people look. Try and be a little discreet if you can, most people will not even notice what you are doing.
    Enjoy Cuba :)

4. Rwarder28

Rwarder28 Type 1 · Newbie

Thank you both for the advice and congratulations :D

Any opinions on medical thermometers like MedAngel or will a Frio bag be enough for carrying my pens about?

We have fridges in both hotels so my 'stock' will be fine but during the day I don't want it to get too hot and I don't think cold bottles of water will be as accessible as they were in Madrid!

• Like Like x 2
  5. porl69

porl69 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Frio bags are amazing. You can get a small single pen one for carrying around.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Knikki

Knikki Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Not sure what you'd use a medical thermometer for, as for Frio bags yes many use them on the forum when they travel, one person I know who travels a lot is @helensaramay and think she uses them.

I never have, just got to hotel and stuck my insulin in the nearest fridge or on top of air con units many many years ago, but that's just me :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook