Help! Weight seems to be shooting up daily!

Vidar

So I was diagnosed two weeks ago, threw myself onto a low carb high fat diet instantly and by last Thursday had lost roughly 12kgs (mostly water weight I know). My usual weigh in day is a Sunday so to keep it scientific I weighed myself again. I was up from 191.2kg on Thursday to 193.4kg on Sunday.

Today I weighed myself again, one day later, and I'm at 195.1kg!?!?

I don't know what is going on, I've been following the lchf diet without cheating, even cutting out the zero carb squash and my weight is shooting up daily.

I'm confused as hell and pretty deflated. Help!

Also Im immobile atm due to leg injury and complications from that. I have been changed to the slow release Metformin as well

Last edited:

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So I was diagnosed two weeks ago, threw myself onto a low carb high fat diet instantly and by last Thursday had lost roughly 12kgs (mostly water weight I know). My usual weigh in day is a Sunday so to keep it scientific I weighed myself again. I was up from 191.2kg on Thursday to 193.4kg on Sunday.

Today I weighed myself again, one day later, and I'm at 195.1kg!?!?

I don't know what is going on, I've been following the lchf diet without cheating, even cutting out the zero carb squash and my weight is shooting up daily.

I'm confused as hell and pretty deflated. Help!

Also Im immobile atm due to leg injury and complications from that. I have been changed to the slow release Metformin as well

Could I ask if your trips to the small room have been as they usually might be? Some folks find initially they have a bit of constipation. It usually,..... erm,..... passes.

Vidar

Could I ask if your trips to the small room have been as they usually might be? Some folks find initially they have a bit of constipation. It usually,..... erm,..... passes.
I was backed up for a day or two but that passed last night.

M

Member496333

Likely still lots of insulin still sloshing around keeping you in fat storage mode instead of fat burning mode.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Just for clarity, you lost roughly 2 Stones in two weeks?

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
Are you being a little over enthusiastic with the high fat part of the lchf diet

Vidar

Not that I'm aware of. I mean yesterday I had 2 eggs scrambled for breakfast with green tea. Lunchtime was a chicken breast, 1 feta and chorizo stuffed pepper with a glass of water. Dinner was ground almond coated prawns in a cheese sauce with more water.

No snacks or anything.

So far today its been 3 bratwurst sausage, and a green tea.

My diet has been like this for 2 weeks, plenty of veggies, meat, fish eggs and cheese and nothing more. Also much less quantity than I would have 2 weeks ago.

Reactions: Dr Snoddy

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
I think you need to give it more time after all you are over 10kg's lighter than you were 2 weeks ago. For me weight loss was never linear, I would loose a few pound then gain one back then loose a few more. As long as the trend was downward I didn't worry. More importantly how are your sugar levels doing?

Reactions: PamJHS

Vidar

I think you need to give it more time after all you are over 10kg's lighter than you were 2 weeks ago. For me weight loss was never linear, I would loose a few pound then gain one back then loose a few more. As long as the trend was downward I didn't worry. More importantly how are your sugar levels doing?
I don't test, I'm very apprehensive about needles after a long stint in hospital. I will start testing though.

I'll weigh myself again on Thursday and make that my normal day but having regained a third of what I'd lost in a few days I'm expecting to have put most if not all of it back on.

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Vidar, I've had quite a bit of experience with weight loss and regain over the years.

It's about normal for me to only really lose a third of the amount of weight that has been lost rapidly through a big change in diet, sometimes I regain all of it if I lapse with my eating straight after.

I can't personally advise about radical change which is then sustained over months and years but some people have had great success, so if the change suits you and is sustainable for you then I think you should see sustained weight loss too.

Vidar

Apart from the initial headaches and stuff I've not really struggled with the changes at all. The fiancée and kids still have their usual snacks etc but I don't find any of it appealing. Only thing I found myself disappointed over was the dark chocolate my missus picked up for me being rammed full of sugar so I couldn't have it but haven't thought about it at all really. Which is odd as I'm used to obsessing about my snacks etc.

Will weigh myself on Thursday and hopefully see I've continued to lose if not I'll have to have a rethink as I haven't cheated once.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Apart from the initial headaches and stuff I've not really struggled with the changes at all. The fiancée and kids still have their usual snacks etc but I don't find any of it appealing. Only thing I found myself disappointed over was the dark chocolate my missus picked up for me being rammed full of sugar so I couldn't have it but haven't thought about it at all really. Which is odd as I'm used to obsessing about my snacks etc.

Will weigh myself on Thursday and hopefully see I've continued to lose if not I'll have to have a rethink as I haven't cheated once.
One observation I would make is that I'm assuming it took a lot longer than 2 weeks to get to 200kg in weight..
It will also take quite a long time to lose it.
Have you though about restricting your eating window to assist? I started off by skipping breakfast so only eating after 1 pm then trying to have dinner by 8 pm. Coffee with cream helped me to stay full through the morning. Reducing your eating window means you'll also be limiting your insulin reactions to food which will help greatly in weight loss.
This intermittent fasting regime when combined with low carb eating (which you seem to have taken to well) is an extremely potent weight loss method and is well worth considering.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My advice would be to have some other metrics than weight given that this can fluctuate quite a lot and you'd lost a load with a slight bounce back e.g.
Waist size?
Energy levels?
Blood sugars? If you have a meter check your fasting ones or go back to the doc after 6-8 weeks so they can check your long term average).
The aim of the low carb diet for diabetics is to reduce insulin resistance. Weight loss should result from that if you eating to satiety as you seem to be (but not if you take it as an excuse to go to the All You Can Eat protein/fat buffet).
In short, don't panic about the slight regain. Give it a bit more time as long as you are feeling good doing it. The consistency you have achieved so far is great but you have a fair way to go I imagine so try not to make this a short term fix that you try before jumping ship to another diet...

Vidar

Yeah I'll definitely give it some consideration if things have stopped moving forward on Thursday.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

My husband, who struggles with his weight, found this podcast very helpful as it relates to diabetes and carbohydrate addiction. This guy is a bariatric surgeon who prefers to use low carb/keto as a first step (forks over knife I suppose).

milesrf

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
spammers, off topic posters, side effects of a stroke
Eating more of the green vegetables that are basically green leaves tends to help with constipation. I like to use turnip greens for this purpose.

Vidar

So I weighed myself again today on what's my new weigh day. 196.1Kgs (roughly 30st 9lbs) so I'm still less than when I started but not as much as the other week.

Maybe I'm having too much fat? I honestly can't think of anything else I may be doing wrong. What do you guys think of this?

Breakfast - 2 pork sausage, 4 bacon rashers and a mug of green tea.

Lunch - 2 peppered Mackrel fillets.

Dinner - 2 pork chops fried in Olive oil with a handful of roasted mushrooms.

Snack - 3 spoons of Greek yoghurt and a drizzle of double cream.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Vidar

I think you are experiencing a version of the Whooosh Effect.
https://trustyspotter.com/blog/whoosh-effect/
http://pinchofnom.com/the-whoosh-effect-explained/
and
51b20b8fd12b2a34bb9b1cb1ac4db29c.jpg

Just stick with it.