Libre Sensor Question

Clementine68

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been in the libre Sensor now for 6 weeks. When I had the demonstration from the Abbott Rep she said to put a new sensor on a day before the current one ran out because it takes about 24 hours for the sensor to give the correct reading. So I have done this but wondered whether others who have used the sensor longer do this?

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Yip, at least 12 hours, used to be 24 but as I’ve used it longer and longer, I’ve found 12 is enough and I get accurate readings from the beginning.

Reactions: Clementine68

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Oops. I was just assuming it was accurate from first read.
Do you guys do a blood test to calibrate too?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Oops. I was just assuming it was accurate from first read.
Do you guys do a blood test to calibrate too?
I test a couple of times during the first 2 days to see how this particular sensor behaves compared to finger sticks, and after that at least once a day but usually more often, especially when the libre thinks I'm low.

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I stick on a new sensor 24 hours before I activate it. I don't know whether the length of time I've been using it means I've gotten acclimatised to them or because quality control at Abbott has improved but I find them more accurate now than previously. I check accuracy against my meter on the first day and if it seems okay, every morning. It's also less reliable the more out of ideal range figures my bg is.