1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Libre Sensor Question

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by Clementine68, Jun 13, 2019.

1. Clementine68

Clementine68 Type 1 · Member

I have been in the libre Sensor now for 6 weeks. When I had the demonstration from the Abbott Rep she said to put a new sensor on a day before the current one ran out because it takes about 24 hours for the sensor to give the correct reading. So I have done this but wondered whether others who have used the sensor longer do this?

2. xfieldok

xfieldok Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I give it 48 hours.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Rokaab

Rokaab Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I put my new ones on about 24 hours before the current one is due to run out

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Mel dCP

Mel dCP Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Yip, at least 12 hours, used to be 24 but as I’ve used it longer and longer, I’ve found 12 is enough and I get accurate readings from the beginning.

• Like Like x 1
  5. NicoleC1971

NicoleC1971 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Oops. I was just assuming it was accurate from first read.
    Do you guys do a blood test to calibrate too?

6. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Moderator
    Staff Member

I test a couple of times during the first 2 days to see how this particular sensor behaves compared to finger sticks, and after that at least once a day but usually more often, especially when the libre thinks I'm low.

7. Clementine68

Clementine68 Type 1 · Member

I test once in the first 12 hours of putting on a new sensor and when says blood dropping rapidly.

8. hh1

hh1 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I stick on a new sensor 24 hours before I activate it. I don't know whether the length of time I've been using it means I've gotten acclimatised to them or because quality control at Abbott has improved but I find them more accurate now than previously. I check accuracy against my meter on the first day and if it seems okay, every morning. It's also less reliable the more out of ideal range figures my bg is.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook