What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I generally only post on two threads and the other is “what have you eaten today”. So as not to derail my last post there I just wanted to relevant information. Last night we went for dinner to a fish restaurant which shall remain nameless. Ordered calamari starter as promised “lightly battered squid” so turned down safer options. When it came it was all batter no squid so I pushed it to one side. Though it wasnt worth the risk for such a poor show. Wasnt going to make a fuss but when waitress asked I said it was probably the worst calamari I had ever been served. (Raised to be truthful at all times!). This morning as we strolled to the car park we noticed one of their two plates glass windows had been badly smashed overnight. In such a genteel place this caused much consternation and the manager was out in the street and not happy. Anyway I put my hood up and kept eyes downcast as we passed in case he thought it was a dissatisfied customer. All day I have been wondering if it was someone else who had the calamari. Not guilty your Honour and I was raised to tell the truth.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
We have fond memories of Polperro, PM. My father in law nicknamed it Pol'parrot. Enjoy. :)

When I was little there was a shoe store here that sold Poll Parrot shoes.

s-l640.jpg

Reactions: gennepher and Shas3

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That is a very romantic tale about you and OH getting back from Polruan. We changed our plans and decided to go to Polperro this morning. Would have loved to have gone on the boat but the weather didnt allow that so we went by car. Had a lovely couple of hours there though the rain was hammering down. We found the old cottage we stayed in 25 years ago but were sad it has fallen into disrepair. Visited the rustic pub on the rocky outcrop for old times sake and then cut the journey back to Fowey by taking the car ferry from Brodinnock. When we returned it was dry and the weather at base camp had been better.

I bet that cottage brought back some great memories, even though its current state was poor. Apart from the weather it sounds like you had a lovely day
We got a lot of weather in Plymouth today too - I wanted to show my daughter the Hoe and the Barbican but we got a bit too cold once we were wet so decided against walking too far.

Shas3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just in from an interesting chat with practice nurse.
Her: the Dapagliflozin has worked too well we are worried your BG is too low so we are going to halve the dose.
Me: I doubt it is the meds I would think it is the change to a Low carb diet
Her: What do you eat?
I explained what I had been eating and how much I had lost and all the other health benefits I had found and she asked if I had made it up myself!! I pointed her here and to DD website. She was amazed at the drop in BG in 3 months 78 to 38
I have got to take half strength Dapa for 3 months and then have another HbA1c. I didn't have the heart to tell her I stopped taking them about a month ago! Hopefully it will not rise too much over the next 3 months without the meds.

Fantastic

Shas3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
6.0 at 4:30 AM. Happy.. going back to bed now. More later once i wake up properly... Zzzxx

UPDATE after proper wake up: So I woke up at 4:30 and decided I should seize the opportunity to catch dawn phenomenon who may have just started but not yet in full swing. So sleepily i draw blood and was pleasantly rewarded with a 6.0 which while not a great number was still better than last few days. So i had to share the excitement by posting here before hitting the bed again. Then I overslept and when i woke up it was 7:00 ... our domestic helper comes in early at 6:30 and the poor (adorable!) guy was waiting outside chatting with neighborhood security guards, drivers etc. We have a small pantry outside where they could make coffee or snacks and I realized it was empty . Today shopping is on the agenda to stock up their pantry so the next time I sleep longer at least I don’t feel guilty

Other than that it is a Friday which means weekend is here and hopefully all is good... great weekend everyone

Last edited:

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am looking at duvets online. Apparently what I want is actually called a duvet insert, and they are always white. Years ago I had a duvet cover that I used with my comforter. The cover fastened with a row of buttons; I've seen some online today that are said to fasten with ties. I can't see the ties in the pics so don't know how that works. The cover I had was too heavy, so this time I am going to look at the weight of the covers. Either that, or I will just take two flat sheets and make my own cover. Since it is all but impossible nowadays to buy two flat sheets, I will have to buy two sheet "sets". Why is "convenience" often so inconvenient? :)

Shas3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Bildad

Good on you for stopping the dapagliflozin! I was on one of these (Farxiga) for a while. Initially, it helped the numbers and significant weight loss. But it started giving me so many side effects - extreme hunger, extreme thirst, perpetual sense of weakness. Initially, I did not connect these with Farxiga. Slowly as I read about how it works and the side effects - it became very clear that it was the drug that was causing all the troubles. I should have stopped right away but continued till my meeting with the doc and it was quite a terrible few weeks. Anyway, things improved hugely after i came off it. What I finally understood is - the way this drug works is (in simplistic terms) by filtering off the sugar from the blood in the kidney. So, a lot of the sugar from the blood basically goes off in the urine. What this means is instead of "helping the muscles and organs in the body to absorb the sugar (i.e. energy), it is just filtering off the sugar". This looks good on paper that the level of sugar in blood is low, but it is very artificial in the sense that the muscles and cells are not getting the energy that they should. So, all my weakness and extreme hunger etc. kind of made sense. After all these experiences, I am convinced that the only way to address is 'help the body absorb the sugar out of the blood' which is all about insulin resistance.... and hence exercising and eating better are the only true long term meaningful solutions. But yes, till I get there, I think some medication must help. I have just stopped "Onglyza" (which I think is same as Saxagliptin) and just sticking to Metformin 500 mg X 2 per day. I guess my doctor may not be very happy when I meet him next. But I have noticed that there is no difference in my numbers especially when my meals are LCHF . So..... yes LCHF and more walking!!!!

Your experience is great and inspiring!!!

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning folks. Fbg was 4.5 @ 3.55 this morning when I finally admitted sleep was impossible. The lack of sleep could have been predicted from my experience with very low carb and cals but I assumed, wrongly, that tiredness from dental work yesterday would offset this. I have no pain and was not advised to avoid eating but the combination of anaesthetic and knowing I can easily go without food for a couple of days is a very powerful appetite suppressant. Summer is rumoured to be making a return to this part of the world sometime soon - thunderstorms for my birthday. Time for tea then a day looking at houses and seeing 3/5ths of our grandchildren plus, hopefully, some cricket watching. Enjoy your day or at the very least stare the bad parts in the eyes and tell them they don't define you.

Last edited:

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning Ian... have a great weekend... talking of cricket, I thought I should share this...
a5c98f8e088c39a936507850a27182e5.jpg

Love it. Our wedding anniversary is October 27th - Julie knew summer was never a possibility and that was somehow a weekend with no rugby game. Perfect. Great progress with bg control and weight loss, sir.

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning...starting off the day with a decent cup of coffee for me it makes all the difference (particularly after yesterdays instant)...another rain soaked day ahead despite that I must water the pots & hanging baskets in the garden which are lagging a little...an exciting day it's BIN day...the green one...another chance for the bin men to drag the pebbles all over the front path as they empty it...woke to a 6.3