OMAD, fasting, anorexia, energy levels....

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
I'm sure I've posted about this before, but anyway:

At the moment I am trying to lose weight and improve my overall BG levels.
This does seem to be working slowly; I am losing weight.

At the moment I am mainly doing OMAD with a coffee/cream/butter in the morning and a meal around 14:00 - 15:00.
However due to circumstances I may miss my main meal and in that case as I am not feeling hungry I may eat very little during the day.

This is making me consider several topics; I am eating far less than I used to and I am feeling the cold more and seem to have less energy. This suggests my body is doing its best to conserve energy but it does encourage me to be sedentary. My levels seem to go up during and after exercise but it is harder to motivate myself to start to exercise.

I weigh 11 stone 12 lbs at the moment (height 6') and my long term aim is to get down to 11 stone 7 lbs.
Best I have done so far over far too many years is 11 stone 10 lbs.
So when I look in the mirror or at the scales I see someone who is overweight.
Nearly everyone who looks at me thinks that I am underweight.
Weight control is very much a mental thing; noting at the moment it is common that I don't feel hungry but think perhaps I should eat something as I haven't eaten much for a while.
Given the above, it does sound disturbingly like some of the symptoms of anorexia although I am doing this for anticipated health improvement not for bodily appearance.

This also raises the question about changing the eating plan once the target weight has been achieved. Total relaxation and the weight will pile back on. Maintenance of denial could lead to further weight loss. Should I aim to undershoot the target weight because I am likely to gain a bit when I increase my food intake?

Still, having that problem to solve would be a very good thing. :cool:

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
As you are not overweight now - but you see yourself as being so - that is a little concerning.
As you can feel yourself resisting further weightloss that does raise flags.
Are you checking your blood glucose? How are those levels?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm sure I've posted about this before, but anyway:

At the moment I am trying to lose weight and improve my overall BG levels.
This does seem to be working slowly; I am losing weight.

At the moment I am mainly doing OMAD with a coffee/cream/butter in the morning and a meal around 14:00 - 15:00.
However due to circumstances I may miss my main meal and in that case as I am not feeling hungry I may eat very little during the day.

This is making me consider several topics; I am eating far less than I used to and I am feeling the cold more and seem to have less energy. This suggests my body is doing its best to conserve energy but it does encourage me to be sedentary. My levels seem to go up during and after exercise but it is harder to motivate myself to start to exercise.

I weigh 11 stone 12 lbs at the moment (height 6') and my long term aim is to get down to 11 stone 7 lbs.
Best I have done so far over far too many years is 11 stone 10 lbs.
So when I look in the mirror or at the scales I see someone who is overweight.
Nearly everyone who looks at me thinks that I am underweight.
Weight control is very much a mental thing; noting at the moment it is common that I don't feel hungry but think perhaps I should eat something as I haven't eaten much for a while.
Given the above, it does sound disturbingly like some of the symptoms of anorexia although I am doing this for anticipated health improvement not for bodily appearance.

This also raises the question about changing the eating plan once the target weight has been achieved. Total relaxation and the weight will pile back on. Maintenance of denial could lead to further weight loss. Should I aim to undershoot the target weight because I am likely to gain a bit when I increase my food intake?

Still, having that problem to solve would be a very good thing. :cool:

Your BMI, according to the NHS is 22.4, which is slap, bang in the middle of the Healthy range. Sounds excellent to me.

upload_2019-6-14_16-58-48.png

Mild body dysmorphia is pretty common in reality, but I guess it depends (and I'm not asking you to explain) what is is about what you see that you consider to be overweight.

In relation to anorexia, if you mean a strict definition of that word, then that is the lack or loss of appetite for food. If you mean anorexia, as in anorexia nervosa, people suffering from this condition very often continue to have an appetite, but they deny themselves food. It is a very complex condition indeed.

If you believe you are affected by anorexia nervosa, I urge you to seek professional help, sooner, rather then later.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Please note that I am not concerned that I have anorexia in a dangerous way.
I was more speculating that many of the people who have dramatically reduced weight and reported to this forum may in fact be showing similar behaviour patterns to those who are clinically diagnosed as anorexic.
I noted that I was denying myself food when hungry (so dieting) and also losing interest in food once the hunger pangs had subsided.

Mild body dysmorphia is pretty common in reality, but I guess it depends (and I'm not asking you to explain) what is is about what you see that you consider to be overweight.

Hmmm....is it body dysmorphia or an accurate risk assessment?
I consider my waist measurement to be close to the "at risk" level. I've only just got it below 36" which is (allegedly) the largest that it should safely be for someone 72" tall.
As a slim T2 I (allegedly) have to work harder to get rid of any visceral fat which may be reducing the functionality of my liver and especially my pancreas.

Your BMI, according to the NHS is 22.4, which is slap, bang in the middle of the Healthy range. Sounds excellent to me.

Mr. Picky says that it isn't in the middle but over to the right a bit. 21.75 would be middle, and I'm not convinced that black pointer is in the right place. :)

I do find it alarming that 9 stone 11 lbs ( 2 stone plus below my current weight) is still considered a healthy weight!

I had the chance to chat with Professor Roy Taylor a couple of years back and he said that a target to give me a good chance of reducing or reversing diabetes symptoms was to aim for the weight and waist measurement I had in my late teens/early 20s. That would be 11 stone 7 lbs and a 32" waist.

My current view is that weight comes second to waist measurement for T2 diabetes. The big problem is visceral fat which is impeding the functionality of the liver and pancreas so reducing the visceral fat is a major target. I am one of those unfortunates where fat will go from almost anywhere before going from my gut.

I suspect that if I can get down to 11 stone 7 lbs then my waist measurement may come down an inch or so.

Then we will see if it has made any difference to my BG control.

At the moment my fasting BG seems to be between 6 and 7 which is not ideal.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Please note that I am not concerned that I have anorexia in a dangerous way.
I was more speculating that many of the people who have dramatically reduced weight and reported to this forum may in fact be showing similar behaviour patterns to those who are clinically diagnosed as anorexic.
I noted that I was denying myself food when hungry (so dieting) and also losing interest in food once the hunger pangs had subsided.

Hmmm....is it body dysmorphia or an accurate risk assessment?
I consider my waist measurement to be close to the "at risk" level. I've only just got it below 36" which is (allegedly) the largest that it should safely be for someone 72" tall.
As a slim T2 I (allegedly) have to work harder to get rid of any visceral fat which may be reducing the functionality of my liver and especially my pancreas.

Mr. Picky says that it isn't in the middle but over to the right a bit. 21.75 would be middle, and I'm not convinced that black pointer is in the right place. :)

I do find it alarming that 9 stone 11 lbs ( 2 stone plus below my current weight) is still considered a healthy weight!

I had the chance to chat with Professor Roy Taylor a couple of years back and he said that a target to give me a good chance of reducing or reversing diabetes symptoms was to aim for the weight and waist measurement I had in my late teens/early 20s. That would be 11 stone 7 lbs and a 32" waist.

My current view is that weight comes second to waist measurement for T2 diabetes. The big problem is visceral fat which is impeding the functionality of the liver and pancreas so reducing the visceral fat is a major target. I am one of those unfortunates where fat will go from almost anywhere before going from my gut.

I suspect that if I can get down to 11 stone 7 lbs then my waist measurement may come down an inch or so.

Then we will see if it has made any difference to my BG control.

At the moment my fasting BG seems to be between 6 and 7 which is not ideal.

I'm not going to comment too much on your remarks about anorexia or BMI, but wha I will say is that I didn't carry lots of weight at diagnosis, but I had always been a fairly straight body shape (aside from the lady-bumps). When I lost weight (for me it had never been an aim. I just wanted lower blood scores), my shape remained largely the same. Straight up and down, except thinner.

Once I got skinny, I stalled the weight loss over several weeks and plodded on in my LC way. Some months later, I realised I had a waist, and a little waist. So, in essence I am saying my body shape appeared to take a while to catch up with the scales. That unexpected shift in my waist took me down another size in trousers/skirts.

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'll avoid commenting on eating disorders here too, but I'd say if your eating is healthy, your control of food intake is good and you feel well what's not to like?

lessci

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you're more concerned with you waist measurements have you tried exercise? My weight loss has slowed to a couple of kgs a month, (still need to lose about 30kgs), but my body fat percentage has dropped by 6% in the last 6 months, which I'm pleased with

Reactions: jpscloud