Confused!!

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
To see what the foods do test before eating and again 2 hrs later. It’ll show you much more useful information than 4 random readings will.

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
The sausage rolls will have been high carb and some sausages only have just over %40 meat, the other %60 is rusk and potato starch. Look for sausages with a high meat percentage (%97) and definitely avoid anything encased in pastry.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
would this impact the diabetes if I did get a cold/flu or pick up germs??
Just saw this wasn’t answered. Typically if we get ill or infections, or stressed, or tired it can raise blood sugars til we’re well again.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This question has carried over from a topic I started yesterday which was very helpful “confused” was the topic header.

I’m now in need of some more advice as I don’t have anyone until I see the GP on Wednesday. The hospital signed me back to him so feel I can’t phone the DN or DSN at the hospital on Monday!!

Ok 2 days of not taking my insulin, started off ok with levels of yesterday 8.2, 10.1, 8.4 then bedtime last night 12.4
Today 8.9, 8.4, 12.4. But 2 hours after lunch they shot up to 18.0. All I had was a couple of sausages and hot dog rolls!
Advice needed please. Do I carry on without the insulin until I see the GP on Wednesday or do I start it again in the morning thinking that yes what ever happens I will need insulin or tablets or both?? Which is better insulin and metformin or just a high dose of metformin then possibly gliclazide or insulin again. Do I try the tablets on there own?
Hello Jackie, would you mind filling in your profile with what type of diabetic you are, and the meds you are on please, so we can tailor our responses to your situation.

Reactions: Jackie0022

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Try clicking these links for more detailed explanations that are well worth readings

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog/jokalsbeek.401801/ for info including low carb made simple

And https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/category/success-stories-and-testimonials.43/ to show it really works and for motivation

and https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/what-have-you-eaten-today.75781/ for food ideas

also https://www.dietdoctor.com/ for more food ideas and general info of carb content of foods. Lots of other websites for recipes out there too. Just use the term low carb or keto with whatever you fancy.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This question has carried over from a topic I started yesterday which was very helpful “confused” was the topic header.

I’m now in need of some more advice as I don’t have anyone until I see the GP on Wednesday. The hospital signed me back to him so feel I can’t phone the DN or DSN at the hospital on Monday!!

Ok 2 days of not taking my insulin, started off ok with levels of yesterday 8.2, 10.1, 8.4 then bedtime last night 12.4
Today 8.9, 8.4, 12.4. But 2 hours after lunch they shot up to 18.0. All I had was a couple of sausages and hot dog rolls!
Advice needed please. Do I carry on without the insulin until I see the GP on Wednesday or do I start it again in the morning thinking that yes what ever happens I will need insulin or tablets or both?? Which is better insulin and metformin or just a high dose of metformin then possibly gliclazide or insulin again. Do I try the tablets on there own?

Jackie - If you really are confused and unable to decide which route to go over the weekend, then please do consider calling 111, where you could be given advice, and/or have a Doctor call you back.

Finally, when you have a moment, it would be very helpful if you could update your profile to include the details of your diabetes type and the medications you take to manage it.

To do that, please sign into the site in your internet browser, thenhover your cursor over your user name at the top right hand side of the screen, then select "Personal Details". You'll then see where you can enter these details. Until you've done that you'll be repeating yourself endlessly as folks as for clarification.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
What about the other readings, they are still a bit high? should I continue with no insulin or start it again in the morning?
We really can't advise you on taking medication.
Do I get it right that you decided to just stop taking your insulin without consulting a HCP? During a weekend when medical help is harder to get? I get they said they wanted you on tablets instead of insulin but I'm pretty sure they didn't mean stop insulin, take nothing else, eat hoops, wraps and rolls and see what happens.
By all means call the hospital consultant monday morning, never mind that you've been referred back to your GP. But if in doubt before that, or if you see ketones again, don't wait until monday.
Please be careful with yourself and don't spare the test strips!
Good luck!

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
As others have said, the hot dog rolls were high in carbs. Have your sugars come down again now?

Last edited:

Jackie0022

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Not at all a forgone conclusion yet.

As bulkbiker says, the rolls would have sent mine skywards too! I don’t eat any breads at all. And possibly the sausages. Richmond’s send mine right up as I realised after I ate them they are only about 57% meat and goodness knows what carby fillers in them. Pick good meaty ones and you’ll be fine.

As far as the other readings go it depends what you were eating how much is down to the foods and how much you can bring it down given a bit of time

We can’t tell you what to do about your insulin but maybe if you decide to stay off the insulin - and. so long as you’re watching bloods very closely - consider using these few days before returning to the dr to see what you can achieve and test foods to learn what effects they have. You might surprise yourself. Obviously if the bloods get out of control or the ketones go up you’ll have to rethink and get some help or restart the insulin.

Have you done much reading about eating low carb or keto? We can give you some good resources to get you started

Thanks. I am usually good at eating and have cut down on carbs but unfortunately we were to friends for lunch so not always easy.

Jackie0022

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
To see what the foods do test before eating and again 2 hrs later. It’ll show you much more useful information than 4 random readings will.

Thanks, that’s what I did at lunch today before lunch and 2 hours after. The other readings were breakfast, lunch, dinner and bedtime.

Jackie0022

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m not thinking straight at the moment so sorry for any confusion and all your help is very much appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jackie0022

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
So the good news is you still have some insulin working naturally. That is still higher than It should be though.

Sorry if sounding a bit naive but if I have some insulin working naturally do I really need to inject more?? (Usually 19 units of humulin m3 daily

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry if sounding a bit naive but if I have some insulin working naturally do I really need to inject more?? (Usually 19 units of humulin m3 daily
We can't say. I still have some insulin working but I need injected insulin anyway.

CondorX

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Jackie, you really need to call 111 for medical advice as people cannot tell you what meds you should or should not take during a very unstable presentation. Please get medical advice as soon as you can - 111 is a good start.

Jackie0022

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Jackie, you really need to call 111 for medical advice as people cannot tell you what meds you should or should not take during a very unstable presentation. Please get medical advice as soon as you can - 111 is a good start.

Thanks It’s all new to me and am really struggling with all the changes diabetes and psoriasis

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
You are in it for the long haul so try to relax a little and take it slow.
Some people need injected insulin because they do not make enough. Some people make a lot but their body cannot use it.
We cannot advise on dosing, so you need to speak to a medic.

Jackie0022

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
You are in it for the long haul so try to relax a little and take it slow.
Some people need injected insulin because they do not make enough. Some people make a lot but their body cannot use it.
We cannot advise on dosing, so you need to speak to a medic.

I think that’s half the problem, the DN said I was only producing some then the dr said I was insulin resistant and producing too much!! Which is it? That’s why I made an app with the GP so hopefully he can shed some light on it. I did ask the nurse after the app but she then said the same as the dr??