1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Confused!!

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by Jackie0022, Jun 12, 2019.

1. HSSS

HSSS Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

To see what the foods do test before eating and again 2 hrs later. It’ll show you much more useful information than 4 random readings will.

2. catinahat

catinahat Type 2 · Well-Known Member

The sausage rolls will have been high carb and some sausages only have just over %40 meat, the other %60 is rusk and potato starch. Look for sausages with a high meat percentage (%97) and definitely avoid anything encased in pastry.

3. HSSS

Just saw this wasn’t answered. Typically if we get ill or infections, or stressed, or tired it can raise blood sugars til we’re well again.

4. lucylocket61

lucylocket61 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hello Jackie, would you mind filling in your profile with what type of diabetic you are, and the meds you are on please, so we can tailor our responses to your situation.

• Like Like x 1
  5. HSSS

Try clicking these links for more detailed explanations that are well worth readings

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog/jokalsbeek.401801/ for info including low carb made simple

And https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/category/success-stories-and-testimonials.43/ to show it really works and for motivation

and https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/what-have-you-eaten-today.75781/ for food ideas

also https://www.dietdoctor.com/ for more food ideas and general info of carb content of foods. Lots of other websites for recipes out there too. Just use the term low carb or keto with whatever you fancy.

• Like Like x 1
  6. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Expert
    Staff Member Administrator

Jackie - If you really are confused and unable to decide which route to go over the weekend, then please do consider calling 111, where you could be given advice, and/or have a Doctor call you back.

Finally, when you have a moment, it would be very helpful if you could update your profile to include the details of your diabetes type and the medications you take to manage it.

To do that, please sign into the site in your internet browser, thenhover your cursor over your user name at the top right hand side of the screen, then select "Personal Details". You'll then see where you can enter these details. Until you've done that you'll be repeating yourself endlessly as folks as for clarification.

7. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Moderator
    Staff Member

We really can't advise you on taking medication.
    Do I get it right that you decided to just stop taking your insulin without consulting a HCP? During a weekend when medical help is harder to get? I get they said they wanted you on tablets instead of insulin but I'm pretty sure they didn't mean stop insulin, take nothing else, eat hoops, wraps and rolls and see what happens.
    By all means call the hospital consultant monday morning, never mind that you've been referred back to your GP. But if in doubt before that, or if you see ketones again, don't wait until monday.
    Please be careful with yourself and don't spare the test strips!
    Good luck!

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Diakat

Diakat Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

As others have said, the hot dog rolls were high in carbs. Have your sugars come down again now?

• Like Like x 1
    #48 Diakat, Jun 15, 2019 at 8:24 PM
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
  9. Jackie0022

Jackie0022 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Thanks. I am usually good at eating and have cut down on carbs but unfortunately we were to friends for lunch so not always easy.

10. Jackie0022

Thanks, that’s what I did at lunch today before lunch and 2 hours after. The other readings were breakfast, lunch, dinner and bedtime.

11. Jackie0022

I’m not thinking straight at the moment so sorry for any confusion and all your help is very much appreciated.

• Hug Hug x 1
    #51 Jackie0022, Jun 15, 2019 at 8:40 PM
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2019
  12. Jackie0022

Tested bloods before evening meal and 12.4.

13. Diakat

Staff Member

So the good news is you still have some insulin working naturally. That is still higher than It should be though.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Jackie0022

They were 12.4 at evening meal at 7pm. Haven’t tested since.

15. Jackie0022

Sorry if sounding a bit naive but if I have some insulin working naturally do I really need to inject more?? (Usually 19 units of humulin m3 daily

16. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Moderator
    Staff Member

We can't say. I still have some insulin working but I need injected insulin anyway.

17. CondorX

CondorX Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Jackie, you really need to call 111 for medical advice as people cannot tell you what meds you should or should not take during a very unstable presentation. Please get medical advice as soon as you can - 111 is a good start.

18. Jackie0022

Thanks It’s all new to me and am really struggling with all the changes diabetes and psoriasis

19. Diakat

Staff Member

You are in it for the long haul so try to relax a little and take it slow.
    Some people need injected insulin because they do not make enough. Some people make a lot but their body cannot use it.
    We cannot advise on dosing, so you need to speak to a medic.

20. Jackie0022

I think that’s half the problem, the DN said I was only producing some then the dr said I was insulin resistant and producing too much!! Which is it? That’s why I made an app with the GP so hopefully he can shed some light on it. I did ask the nurse after the app but she then said the same as the dr??

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook