Mental well being and type of diet

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Having read many testamonials on forums about diet and its effect on people's weight, HBA1Cs etc what effect has your diet or change in diet had upon your mental health and well being?

What dietary change seems to be responsible for that?

For example, change to LCHF for me has enabled me to reduce antidepressant dosage as well as improve some aches and pains which were a mental stress to me as well.

There may be some whose dietary change made mental wellbeing worse, and that is important to hear about also.

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I think that my transition from a "normal diet' to the LCHF WOE increased my feeling of well being and that of course includes mood stability. Rather like a graph of alternating current V direct current. I am also pretty sure that I lost some aches and pains in the hips that conventional modern medicine had failed to find a solution to.,

Now this leads me to a question for Dr Google,"does or can diet effect testosterone levels"

M

Member496333

Ketogenic eating markedly improved my mental wellbeing, but it’s debatable how much of that was due to the diet in isolation or a combination including the euphoria of kicking my diabetes square in the ****.

In terms of cognitive performance, I’m definitely better at Call of Duty since going carnivore.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Having read many testamonials on forums about diet and its effect on people's weight, HBA1Cs etc what effect has your diet or change in diet had upon your mental health and well being?
I have fewer panic attacks and those I do get don't last as long and aren't as overwhelming, especially since starting keto. (It improved some on LCHF, on Keto it got even better). I sometimes leave the house on my own now. Or open the curtains and windows. (I tend to want to keep the world outside, outside!) The depression's clinical, so will always be present, but I don't have that dark gaping hole in my chest all the time anymore. Suicidal thoughts are less at the forefront. Moodswings are a lot better. I snap at Kornelis less, so I'm a more tolerable person to be around. ;) Yesterday some complete stranger was mean to me at the zoo, and rather than bursting into tears I sort of kept it together and just did what I came to do (photograph the tigers) and walked to the lions afterwards, instead of heading for the exit immediately.

I'll always be a mess, but with the diet my bloodsugars are more stable and thus, my emotions a little more in check. So even if the diabetes would magically vanish one morning, I'd still stick with keto.

FB_IMG_1560606352440.jpg

FB_IMG_1560610228328.jpg

M

Member496333

Now this leads me to a question for Dr Google,"does or can diet effect testosterone levels"

Well certainly carnivorous eating has sharpened my muscle tone, and boosted my strength and libido.

I would say absolutely that diet can and does affect every system in our bodies. We are biological machines living in nature - a product of our environment - everything we come into contact with has to have some effect on our body. In my opinion nothing more so that what we choose to put into it.

M

Member496333

The depression's clinical, so will always be present.

You may find that in the fullness of time, it actually isn’t. There’s a lot of opinion out there now that anti-inflammatory diets can eliminate depression owing to it fixing intestinal permeability, which some say is strongly linked to clinical depression. Obviously I’m not asserting that this will be the case for you or anyone else, but there’s certainly hope, and it’s awesome to hear that you’re doing better with anxiety now :)

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You may find that in the fullness of time, it actually isn’t. There’s a lot of opinion out there now that anti-inflammatory diets can eliminate depression owing to it fixing intestinal permeability, which some say is strongly linked to clinical depression. Obviously I’m not asserting that this will be the case for you or anyone else, but there’s certainly hope, and it’s awesome to hear that you’re doing better with anxiety now :)
I've been like this all my life, really... Picture a 4 year old with depression and anxiety. My personality disorder is so entwined with every aspect of my being, I don't know who I'd be without it, as is permeates everything. I don't dare dream it'll ever just go away (it is part genetics/brain chemicals/hormones/gut problems, part food, part trauma), but if you can have hope, I'll gladly borrow some! And I'll read up some more on leaky gut and such... I've heard before that it's related.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I have been diagnosed as having cyclothymia, which means I have cycles of severe clinical depression and hypomania (being 'high'). It seems to be genetic affecting close family members.
My episodes of clinical depression were getting closer and closer together. It was 10 years between the first and second, then 7 years, then 5 years, then 3 years, then 18 months, then 9 months. The last episode coincided with being diagnosed as T2.
The depression might have been one of many factors which contributed as I was comfort eating sweet and starchy stuff, and self medicating with 3-4 pints of beer most nights.

Since being diagnosed T2 and changing what I eat and drink I haven't had an episode of serious clinical depression (fingers crossed). I think I have mild depression (dysthemia) most of the time, especially during winter months - I think an element of Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) might also contribute.

But I have also decided to stay on anti-depressant medication (fluoxetine) permanently, since my last depressive episode, as it takes 6-8 weeks for it to take effect if I stop then start again when I go into depression. And as the depressive episodes were getting closer together it seemed better to stay on the meds. So I can't say whether it's modifying my diet, or the ad meds which have meant I haven't had a serious clinical depression in the last 4 years. Perhaps both have helped.

Reactions: Brunneria

Veryanxious

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

What dietary change seems to be responsible for that?

For example, change to LCHF for me has enabled me to reduce antidepressant dosage as well as improve some aches and pains which were a mental stress to me as well.

There may be some whose dietary change made mental wellbeing worse, and that is important to hear about also.
Keto does give euphoric feeling. It has helped me quite a lot. In anxiety as well. Whenever I am in ketosis I never visit internet for my health issue. As soon as I am out of keto i think i loose ability to think clearly.

Reactions: Prem51