1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Mental well being and type of diet

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by kitedoc, Jun 16, 2019.

1. kitedoc

kitedoc Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Having read many testamonials on forums about diet and its effect on people's weight, HBA1Cs etc what effect has your diet or change in diet had upon your mental health and well being?

What dietary change seems to be responsible for that?

For example, change to LCHF for me has enabled me to reduce antidepressant dosage as well as improve some aches and pains which were a mental stress to me as well.

There may be some whose dietary change made mental wellbeing worse, and that is important to hear about also.

2. Pasha

Pasha Prediabetes · Expert

I think that my transition from a "normal diet' to the LCHF WOE increased my feeling of well being and that of course includes mood stability. Rather like a graph of alternating current V direct current. I am also pretty sure that I lost some aches and pains in the hips that conventional modern medicine had failed to find a solution to.,

Now this leads me to a question for Dr Google,"does or can diet effect testosterone levels"

3. Jim Lahey

Jim Lahey I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Ketogenic eating markedly improved my mental wellbeing, but it’s debatable how much of that was due to the diet in isolation or a combination including the euphoria of kicking my diabetes square in the ****.

In terms of cognitive performance, I’m definitely better at Call of Duty since going carnivore.

4. JoKalsbeek

JoKalsbeek Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

I have fewer panic attacks and those I do get don't last as long and aren't as overwhelming, especially since starting keto. (It improved some on LCHF, on Keto it got even better). I sometimes leave the house on my own now. Or open the curtains and windows. (I tend to want to keep the world outside, outside!) The depression's clinical, so will always be present, but I don't have that dark gaping hole in my chest all the time anymore. Suicidal thoughts are less at the forefront. Moodswings are a lot better. I snap at Kornelis less, so I'm a more tolerable person to be around. ;) Yesterday some complete stranger was mean to me at the zoo, and rather than bursting into tears I sort of kept it together and just did what I came to do (photograph the tigers) and walked to the lions afterwards, instead of heading for the exit immediately.

I'll always be a mess, but with the diet my bloodsugars are more stable and thus, my emotions a little more in check. So even if the diabetes would magically vanish one morning, I'd still stick with keto.

FB_IMG_1560606352440.jpg
    FB_IMG_1560610228328.jpg

• Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Hug Hug x 1
  5. Jim Lahey

Well certainly carnivorous eating has sharpened my muscle tone, and boosted my strength and libido.

I would say absolutely that diet can and does affect every system in our bodies. We are biological machines living in nature - a product of our environment - everything we come into contact with has to have some effect on our body. In my opinion nothing more so that what we choose to put into it.

6. Jim Lahey

You may find that in the fullness of time, it actually isn’t. There’s a lot of opinion out there now that anti-inflammatory diets can eliminate depression owing to it fixing intestinal permeability, which some say is strongly linked to clinical depression. Obviously I’m not asserting that this will be the case for you or anyone else, but there’s certainly hope, and it’s awesome to hear that you’re doing better with anxiety now :)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. JoKalsbeek

JoKalsbeek Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

I've been like this all my life, really... Picture a 4 year old with depression and anxiety. My personality disorder is so entwined with every aspect of my being, I don't know who I'd be without it, as is permeates everything. I don't dare dream it'll ever just go away (it is part genetics/brain chemicals/hormones/gut problems, part food, part trauma), but if you can have hope, I'll gladly borrow some! And I'll read up some more on leaky gut and such... I've heard before that it's related.

• Like Like x 2
    • Hug Hug x 1
  8. Prem51

Prem51 Type 2 · Expert

I have been diagnosed as having cyclothymia, which means I have cycles of severe clinical depression and hypomania (being 'high'). It seems to be genetic affecting close family members.
    My episodes of clinical depression were getting closer and closer together. It was 10 years between the first and second, then 7 years, then 5 years, then 3 years, then 18 months, then 9 months. The last episode coincided with being diagnosed as T2.
    The depression might have been one of many factors which contributed as I was comfort eating sweet and starchy stuff, and self medicating with 3-4 pints of beer most nights.

Since being diagnosed T2 and changing what I eat and drink I haven't had an episode of serious clinical depression (fingers crossed). I think I have mild depression (dysthemia) most of the time, especially during winter months - I think an element of Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) might also contribute.

But I have also decided to stay on anti-depressant medication (fluoxetine) permanently, since my last depressive episode, as it takes 6-8 weeks for it to take effect if I stop then start again when I go into depression. And as the depressive episodes were getting closer together it seemed better to stay on the meds. So I can't say whether it's modifying my diet, or the ad meds which have meant I haven't had a serious clinical depression in the last 4 years. Perhaps both have helped.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Veryanxious

Veryanxious Don't have diabetes · Well-Known Member

Keto does give euphoric feeling. It has helped me quite a lot. In anxiety as well. Whenever I am in ketosis I never visit internet for my health issue. As soon as I am out of keto i think i loose ability to think clearly.

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook