What's your alternative to potatoes

Diabeticger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bread, Potatoes, anything Carby
Love me spuds of a sunday and even though I've cut right back my bloods still shoot up after them, so what do you use as substitute ?

D

Deleted member 308541

Love me spuds of a sunday and even though I've cut right back my bloods still shoot up after them, so what do you use as substitute ?
If you live in Australia (no place listed in your profile) you can get Spudlites which are a lower carb potato, I eat these but I cook them first and then reheat them the next day.

I believe a similar potato is available in Holland, @Antje77 might have a link for that.

http://zerellafresh.com.au/spudlite/

Reactions: Antje77

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I restrict my spuds to Christmas day and they are roasted in beef dripping.

Cauliflower mash and celeriac make good substitutes especially for things like cottage pie etc.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Mashed or roasted cauliflower, broccoli, parnips, turnips, egg plants, chickpeas, pumpkin
Extra protein or veg
Sometimes people like to mix 50-50 cauliflower and potatoes so it's not too carb heavy.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In the Netherlands, the Charisma potatoes are considered relatively low carb, but they're still too carby for me. I'd just go for cauliflower, (riced or regular florets), broccoli (same) spinach or whatever... I just up the veggies and meat, don't miss potatoes at all.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Cauliflower rice, fried in avocado oil, complete with chopped onion, chopped ginger and chopped garlic. With a good dash of salt and pepper.

Reactions: Breck Lundin

malcs90

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sweet potato not as bad as spuds. Yet to find a way to make them into crispy chips.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Celeriac makes good chips
Butternut squash in casseroles
I can’t do sweet potatoes as they make me spike.
Otherwise I just avoid completely. You get used to it eventually.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
For me there is no substitute for a real potato if I have a roast dinner then I have to have two or three roasties it is only occasionally so I don't worry. If you want to cook roast potatoes then you could peel the potatoes and soak them in cold water for an hour or two this takes most of the starch out of them then cook them as normal part boil...not in the water you soaked them in though....then roast they should be much lower carb. People on kidney dialysis have to do this to potatoes to remove most of the starch

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I can manage a few potatoes according to my meter and my Libre. Not many - 2 small new ones, or two pieces of roasties (roasted in goose or duck fat), or 6 home made fried chips (fried in lard). It is all about portion control for me. Jacket spuds or mash are a no-no. Different foods affect different people. That is one reason our meters are useful.

M

Member496333

I’m another one in the ‘nothing’ camp. Don’t miss that type of food at all and just eat more animal products instead. Primarily organ meats.

Reactions: Breck Lundin