What's your alternative to potatoes

Mbeira

Has anyone tried using boiled potatoes in a potato salad and tested blood sugar? Cooking them then cooling makes them high resistive starch, which bypasses your bloodstream and heads for your second brain, your gut.

I eat quite a lot of resistant starch - cashews are stuffed, as are green bananas, pasta that's been cooked, cooled and warmed up again has lots, so does toast that's cold (croutons anyone?) especially the wholewheat versions, and I'm wondering if they all could help with sugar spikes, and the keto diet.

I mash cauliflower, for topping shepherds pie. The kids don't notice but they love veggie food, and happily have cauliflower rice instead of normal rice. DietDoctor (US site for Keto everything) lists Rutabaga chips, which for us is Swede/turnip as ok but they list as having moderate carbs. Still a starch, no?

I do find though as I get close to full keto (dark purple on ketostix,) I don't find traditional 'white' carbs interesting at all.

D

Deleted member 308541

Has anyone tried using boiled potatoes in a potato salad and tested blood sugar? Cooking them then cooling makes them high resistive starch,
I do that with Spudlite lower carb potatoes.

P3a5CbY.jpg

Breck Lundin

butternut squash cut into cubes with diced bell peppers and some diced onions then fried up until browned in a skillet to make a dandy alternative to diced hash browned potatoes. it can be boiled mashed up tasting better than mashed potatoes.

I've not tried it yet but I'm going to use spaghetti squash strings chopped & fried to sub for a traditional style hash browns.

Even broiled with olive oil or butter they are a down right treat.

For me squash is a great very low reactive carb for my low (<60\day) carb diet.

resander

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Mashed celeriac. Easy, just boil 10-15min and mash.

Per 100g cooked product
Celeriac: 3.3g carb
UK COFID database: 1.9g USDA database 4.7g Average UK&US: 3.3g

New potatoes: 14.9g carb
Old potatoes: 17.5g carb
Celeriac : 3.3g carb

Reactions: Teasmade

kerrygold59

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If you live in Australia (no place listed in your profile) you can get Spudlites which are a lower carb potato, I eat these but I cook them first and then reheat them the next day.

I believe a similar potato is available in Holland, @Antje77 might have a link for that.

http://zerellafresh.com.au/spudlite/
Generally No spuds for me except 3 times a year on a roast.

resander

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Reasonably quick non-potato meal (around 15 minutes):

- 2 frozen quarter pounders with 0 carbs each shown on food label (fries in 12 minutes). Iceland sells 0 carb quarter pounders, maybe Tesco etc do too.
- 2 fried/poached (a minute in microwave in poacher) eggs
- cheese slice(s) to top the burgers (30 seconds in microwave)

2quarterpounders+2cheseslices+2poachedeggs
carb=0+1+1=2g carb kcal=480+100+150=730

May not be slimming friendly...

Yellredder

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I use celeriac. I mostly make them into chips, sometimes mash then I did roast them last week and they were de-lish!

Ricky

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sweet potato . I haven't done spuds for years.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Maybe turnips. Generally more of whatever else is on the plate instead of potatoes. Don’t miss them really.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Watch out for sweet potatoes - my guts take no notice of all the claims for low GI - they are higher in carbs than ordinary potatoes and my meter confirmed my expectation - whoosh, and my BG stayed high for a long time.

NR

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
GPs who don’t keep up to date!
Love me spuds of a sunday and even though I've cut right back my bloods still shoot up after them, so what do you use as substitute ?
I peel butternut squash and celeriac and cut into small half inch square (or smaller if short of time) cubes and roast (Gas 6/200C) in a tablespoon of olive oil for 25mins....don’t miss potatoes at all then
One trick I’ve learnt is to use a smaller plate and make a meal as colourful as possible...eating with the eyes! I’m then satisfied with less....marvellous!

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I had turnip chips tonight. Not quite the same as potato chips but less than half the carbs.

Incidentally, slightly off track, my wife cooks her rice in a rice cooker. Before doing so she washes out the starch which gives a better texture. I wonder if that reduces the carb content?