What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning and happy Monday everyone from our static caravan in the land of the damp and overcast. I have just hear what sounds like a large predator wandering over the roof and although it sounds like panther, it’s going to be a crow or an overstuffed pigeon.

Ate out last night: “can I have the chicken burger with melted cheese but without the sauces or the fancy brioche and with a salad instead of the chips but without the house dressing. Oh! Also, do you have olive oil?” - not a problem.

The wonder wheel of indulgence and retribution registered a flat 5.0

I have just spotted the teppanyaki grill on a shelf over the cooker extractor fan so it’s a DIY cooking frenzy on the deck tonight. Will we need umbrellas?

johnpol

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Morning all, I must apologise for me being missing of late I have had to study for a NEBOSH fire safety Management and Risk Assessment exam for the last few weeks, but sat my exam last week (didn't go well but can resit in December). any way a 7.9 greeted me on the meter of doom this morning, which is better than the last couple of weeks.

Take care everyone.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A stonking 7.1 for me a few minutes ago. In my defence I’ve been up for hours and had a pretty broken nights sleep. ( I got up for the loo at 2 then Dennis wanted to go at 3:40) and I was trying to sleep in the sofa which has given me back ache. Our sofa used to be the comfiest thing, but I had it reupholstered recently and they restuffed it too so now it’s hard and not very comfy.
@ianpspurs I’ve no idea when the thunderstorms are due but happy birthday for this week.
@johnpol good luck for the exam results, and hugs for all that revision you’ve been doing.
@dunelm that was a good result with your chicken burger - I’d definitely go back there. It’s such a relief when people say yes without making you feel you are making life difficult for them.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Mornng All. 6.6 this morning so am disappointed. I never really recovered from yesterday’s FBG. Tried to go from breakfast to dinner but had some rollitos mid aft.
Lots of housework today, hoovering the whole house will be a good workout.
Bobs and Daisy are just about forgiving me and now not letting me out of their sight.
Came home to letter calling me for HBA1c and review so better get my act together pronto. Oh well onwards and downwards!
Have a good day everyone. Stay well, safe and dry.

Shas3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I woke up to 6.3 but after breakfast till now (two hours after lunch) i have been running high numbers ... close to 10... ... i am stressed and testing almost every 15 minutes

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning...the Boris 'blunderbuss' rolls on...no sign of him at the debate last night was his absence political snobbery (well it was channel 4) or an attempt to build up a frisson of anticipation for this evening's debate on the BBC..entertaining how those who opposed & stood against him have now abandoned their own ambition to be PM and are vying for a cabinet position...among praise in support of him James Cleverly highlighted his great achievements as Mayor of London...of course he didn't mention the projects he started but failed to finish which cost millions...his disastrous tenure as Foreign Secretary (Nazarin Zaghari Ratcliffe)...the exposed outright lies...his infidelity/dishonesty about his affairs...so he seems about par for the course with that track record & should go far...akin to an Eton educated Donald Trump...woke to a post news 6.6.

Last edited:

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@DJC3 our posts crossed. Hugs for the bad night’s sleep it must be like having a new baby in the house. I am sure he will settle soon. Hugs especially for the FBG which I understand completely. I just cant fast all day it makes me miserable so plan to be as active as I can. How do you live your day after higher FBG...I suppose you cant take Dennis out for walks yet. Hope you have a good day. PS I often sleep on our ramshackle sofa when the house is full and tge snoring gets too much.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Drat, that’s disappointing so perhaps shelling out for one of those may not be such a good idea. Thank you for letting us know.
Tbh I think it would be fine for smalls or very light clothes. We didnt buy the smallest but the next size and it gets warm but not very (health and safety probs) so the heat only gets to the contact rail and the rails are very close together another reason why it would suit flimsy clothes. It depends on what your expectations are. In the 60s my mum had this box with wooden rails on two levels which you removed. She used it solely for airing baby clothes and cloth nappies and it worked really well because you closed the lid and the heat was contained.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I woke up to 6.3 but after breakfast till now (two hours after lunch) i have been running high numbers
emoji27.png
... close to 10...
emoji19.png
... i am stressed and testing almost every 15 minutes
emoji2359.png

Breath - does testing every 15 minutes help?
I find that if my fasting reading is up then a small piece of cheese or a couple of nuts will help to bring it down. It gives your body something to do.
I usually don’t eat until noon but do eat to my meter reading - if high then just a bit of protein.
Maybe keep a food diary and test prior to and then 2 hours after eating.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Don't think Norfolk is worse than elsewhere in that respect.
You are right - Norfolk isn't worse than anywhere else. Although - things are changing as the word gets out there that low carb can really help in the fight against diabetes.

I did hear something that really upset me yesterday. After a lovely woodland walk we were sitting in the sunshine outside a little cafe and started chatting to a lovely family who we often say hi to on the morning dog walk. We were tucking into delicious sandwiches and cakes (I hasten to add that I only had coffee) and I explained why I was only drinking coffee.

The husband started telling me about his father who had T2 and is now on insulin and was diagnosed recently with charcot foot in both feet. He went to the doctor 4 times with incredibly swollen and painful feet. The doctor told him it was fluid retention and he has to walk more.

The very worst advice he could have been given. He was a very active man and he started walking even more so he has now done so much damage to his feet that amputation has been mentioned. This has affected not just him but his whole family - everyone is understandably very upset as he was so active and is now finding it so hard to cope with this.

His doctor said that he was the first person in Norfolk who had ever had charcot foot. Could that really be true.

I must admit that the Panorama programme really brought it home to me what a horrible disease T2D is and that I need to work really hard to avoid amputations.

It is so sad that there are still people who do not know that we can avoid worst of the complications with LC.

Reactions: Viv19 and ianpspurs

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@dunelm that was a good result with your chicken burger - I’d definitely go back there. It’s such a relief when people say yes without making you feel you are making life difficult for them.

I agree. I think it’s a bit of a waste when you have to accept things like bread, and then discard it. It’s all the sauces and dressings that I detest - and baked beans - nothing worse than baked beans juice contaminating my otherwise low carb breakfast.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I woke up to 6.3 but after breakfast till now (two hours after lunch) i have been running high numbers ... close to 10... ... i am stressed and testing almost every 15 minutes
Hugs there seems to be a lot of higher than expected BG posted today. I understand how that feels like but I really wouldnt test every 15 mins. I guess you are at work but if you get a break can you have a brisk walk or go up and down stairs for 10 mins. Getting fretful wont help either. I have no magic answer other than that and stretch out the distance between feeds, no snacks. I hope you are not coming down with a lurgy. One thing is for sure BG doesnt stay the same (higher or lower) forever.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@DJC3 our posts crossed. Hugs for the bad night’s sleep it must be like having a new baby in the house. I am sure he will settle soon. Hugs especially for the FBG which I understand completely. I just cant fast all day it makes me miserable so plan to be as active as I can. How do you live your day after higher FBG...I suppose you cant take Dennis out for walks yet. Hope you have a good day. PS I often sleep on our ramshackle sofa when the house is full and tge snoring gets too much.

I reckon housework is probably as good a workout as any. I also struggle with fasting and find it makes me miserable too, although I’ve managed to skip breakfast the last few days ( apart from coffer&cream) I find it’s a lot easier if I’m out and busy, but indoors it’s very difficult.
I tried squats and calf raises yesterday just to do something. I think exercise plays a much bigger part in bg control for me than I want to admit ( I’m naturally slothful )
Dennis has had his vaccinations so is ok to go out but we’ve just been walking round the garden so far. I used to take Tilly up to the common, only a 5-10 min walk but I think that might be a bit far for young Dennis’ little legs yet
We all used to be happy sleeping on the original old sofa - wish I’d thought to tell them not to over stuff it - cushions as hard as rocks now.
Hope your day goes well and we both report good numbers tomorrow.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Tbh I think it would be fine for smalls or very light clothes. We didnt buy the smallest but the next size and it gets warm but not very (health and safety probs) so the heat only gets to the contact rail and the rails are very close together another reason why it would suit flimsy clothes. It depends on what your expectations are. In the 60s my mum had this box with wooden rails on two levels which you removed. She used it solely for airing baby clothes and cloth nappies and it worked really well because you closed the lid and the heat was contained.
I was interested when this discussion first started about the heated towel rail.
But as it progressed I realised it wasn't that good.

I haven't had a tumble drier for over 20 years...
So what do I do?

Well in my last house I had a portable dehumidifier because of damp walls etc. Then I found, accidentally by putting the clothes airer around the dehumidifier, it actually dried the clothes. But obviously don't have the clothes airer too packed closely with clothes. I don't have a fancy clothes airer, just a 5 panel old fashioned clothes horse, so consequently it is easy to put round the dehumidifier. It is very effective, and it the dehumidifier ever needed replacing, I would get another for that purpose.

But remember, I haven't had the 'luxury' of a tumble drier for over 20 years. I am not sure a tumble drier is a luxury, because it thins out clothes, takes an awful amount of fluff/fabric off clothes. Whereas my current method with the dehumidifier, the clothes still feel as though they have body and not thinned out.

So, when I moved here I carried on doing the same thing.

Now, I do have underfloor heating but just in the shower room, (nowhere else) and in winter months I have been known to put that on anyway for general heat (the bedroom is next to it), and I put the clothes airer in there. This is usually when I am drying sheets and pillow cases.

Just some ideas...if you already have a dehumidifier, then maybe give it a go. In addition, the clothes dry much straighter than when in a tumble drier...

>^..^<

Reactions: Viv19 and HarryBeau