1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by HarrisonK, Apr 24, 2019.

1. Cumberland

Cumberland Type 1 · Master

6.2 oh I’m so happy with this at long last

Have a good day

Off to Bournemouth tomorrow for a wee break so might not be on here as regular

• Winner Winner x 8
    • Like Like x 6
  2. Krystyna23040

Krystyna23040 Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Very useful information especially as it explains why my BS are lower since taking a high dose of v vitamin. Very interesting that one of the studies found that having diabetes depletes levels of vitamin C in the body.

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 3
  3. ianpspurs

ianpspurs Type 2 · Expert

Many thanks for the early happy birthday wish - guess since I am not yet state pension age in the UK makes me youngish old. @alf_Josiah very thought provoking post and sounds like a perfect and immensely thoughtful Father's Day. @Cumberland fantastic reading and enjoy Bournemouth - you may see a very wealthy dog walking Mr H Redknapp Esq
    ETA: Cricket watching stopped so watching I love 1986 - never heard of the film Absolute Beginners.

• Like Like x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    #3443 ianpspurs, Jun 16, 2019 at 2:33 PM
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
  4. gennepher

gennepher Type 2 · Well-Known Member

That's good, getting further understanding.
    Which is what we all are searching for.
    >^..^<

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 4
  5. PenguinMum

PenguinMum Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Thanks @dunelm for reminding me we have one of the Lakeland heated airers in the garage. We bought one for one of our boys at Uni and since its been back it just got buried with lots of other stuff. Trying it for the first time today.

• Like Like x 5
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. PenguinMum

@ianpspurs I worked for the film company that made it at that time and went to the cast and crew screening but David Bowie who recorded the soundtrack wasnt there.

• Like Like x 5
    • Informative Informative x 4
  7. Krystyna23040

If at 64 you are in the 'frail old wreck age group ' goodness knows what group I am in - maybe in the 'totally frail old age wreck group '.

Very interesting about the protein. I usually have approx 52g of protein a day (I weigh 57kg) which looks much too low according to the calculator). The problem I have is that I really couldn't eat any more protein and feel absolutely stuffed and full with 52g.

So do you think that maybe the guidelines don't apply to everyone. I am very active and teach exercise 6 days a week. My rest day on Sunday is spent doing loads of walking in the countryside. Once I got over the Statin damage I was able to build muscle successfully.

Edited to add: I wish I had as good A1c as you have

• Like Like x 6
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. DJC3

DJC3 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

The cooking must be a nightmare these days with so many allergies, intolerances and moral/ ethical food choices. When my girls went, everyone got stew in the evening but even by the time they stopped going my friend said it was easier to just have vegetarian food. Teenagers in particular are very particular.

• Like Like x 5
  9. ianpspurs

@Krystyna23040 I am in no position to comment on the guidelines for protein levels and certainly wouldn't dream of offering you advice. You seem to be doing fine as you are. This is all very personal and ideally we would consult HCPs. My app suggests I average about 85 gms protein which seems to explain why I feel hungry most of the time and tired regularly. I personally don't recognise ever feeling stuffed on lc and find the hf/percentage fat idea very unpleasant - just does not make me feel well but looks lovely on the scales. Sorry to hear about statin damage. Please don't change how you eat without consulting HCP/nutritionist. I know nothing. I would probably do a swap of my A1c for feeling stuffed and having your energy, or indeed any, more than 20 days a month. I really don't want much cream, butter, red meat in my diet - not worried about the fat I just don't like it really.

• Like Like x 1
    #3449 ianpspurs, Jun 16, 2019 at 5:16 PM
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
  10. Krystyna23040

You are right that this is very personal and that there is absolutely no 'one size fits all'. Looked at my macros for today: Protein 51.49g, carbs 14.,27g and fat 116.28g calories around 1500K. Carbs a little bit lower than usual - but not much. Protein and fat are pretty average. I absolutely couldn't eat anymore than I have today - but will probably have another coffee and maybe some bone broth later. I have a feeling that you would be absolutely famished if this is what you had eaten..

I find this absolutely fascinating - it is amazing how different we all are. I do a lot of teaching of exercise to people who have injuries and I find exactly the same thing. There is absolutely no 'one size fits all'. This makes my job so interesting and I never tire of it (although I cannot say the same of all the admin involved in running a very small business).

Just to re-assure you - my HCP is very happy with what I am doing and she is really supporting me on this journey of discovery.

• Like Like x 4
  11. ianpspurs

What a fantastic business. I am sure it is very rewarding despite the paperwork. Glad your HCP is involved and supportive.

• Friendly Friendly x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  12. DJC3

Wonderful @alf_Josiah that must have been a very special day for all of you, but very sobering to think of all those donors.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 4
  13. geefull

geefull Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

good evening all :)

was 4.6 this morning

I was woken pretty early by a short sharp shower pelting on the skylight so I got up and sat drinking tea ;)

Sunday dinner at mum's today then sat inside watching the birds in her garden through the window whilst we had a couple of showers, birds included a pair of woodpeckers, not something I've ever seen before :happy: then the weather cleared and the little dog and I went off for a walk :)

Hope your day is treating you kindly :)

• Winner Winner x 6
    • Like Like x 5
  14. DJC3

@Cumberland hurrah! So glad you’re back in the zone. Have a great break in Bournemouth.
    @PenguinMum I’ll be interested to see how good that Lakeland drier is. So many clothes are not tumble dryable now, and once daughter and partner move in with us in Aug we are going to struggle in our little cottage getting all the clothes dry. I thought one of these would be ideal - we could plug it in in the garage, there is plenty of room in there as it only contains Mr Cs motorbike.

• Like Like x 5
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 2
  15. Krystyna23040

I think I am one of the lucky ones. I live in a small market town and my HCP works from my GP's surgery. I think that she is probably the best DN in Norfolk.

• Like Like x 3
  16. ianpspurs

So, in many ways not normal for Norfolk:angelic:

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 3
  17. PenguinMum

Based on my use of it today and son’s feedback it is just a heated clothes airer so if you put stuff on a regular airer near a radiator it works better. I have had a load of tshirts and polo shirts on it today for 6 hours and they are ceetainly not dry just drier! I am thinking of replacing my compact tumble drier for the garage where it foesnt matter about venting.

• Informative Informative x 5
    • Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  18. DJC3

Oh that’s disappointing, I was hoping they’d be better - they’re quite expensive aren’t they? Our problem will be work uniforms for Mr C and girls and all the cheap Primark T shirts - none of which can be tumble dried. The cottage is a bit damp so I don’t really want to air more clothes in the house.
    Thanks for the feedback.

• Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  19. PenguinMum

• Like Like x 7
  20. Krystyna23040

I think your post is very funny. But seriously - it is such a shame that it, in many ways, is not normal for Norfolk.

• Like Like x 4
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook