What to eat to stop a hypo in its tracks?

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I'm the one on the left and have T2, and my diabetic nurse suggested that if I get a hypo, which is usually if my level drops to 4 or lower, and I have the shakes with sweating, to eat 4-5 jelly babies. For me I find this has worked each time, so I always have a bag close by.

Thanks for the suggestion!
But sweets have too much sugar in it for us with RH!
We can only have low carb stuff, something with very few carbs in because we will hyper, then hypo again! So I always recommend a plain biscuit like rich tea which has just enough carbs to raise the bloods up slowly enough not to go hyper but quick enough to alleviate symptoms.
Then when it is back to normal levels, I recommend a small very low carb meal, preferably with some full fat to digest slower and not get the dreaded hypers and hypos!

Reactions: 2 people

Ruthbcn

Thanks for the suggestion!
But sweets have too much sugar in it for us with RH!
We can only have low carb stuff, something with very few carbs in because we will hyper, then hypo again! So I always recommend a plain biscuit like rich tea which has just enough carbs to raise the bloods up slowly enough not to go hyper but quick enough to alleviate symptoms.
Then when it is back to normal levels, I recommend a small very low carb meal, preferably with some full fat to digest slower and not get the dreaded hypers and hypos!
Hi @Lamont D !
Could you give some examples,of a very low carb meal with some full fat?
Thanks a lot!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Emma!
Coconout oil heps you when you are in hypo?

Hi,
I’m afraid you have posted on a thread that hasn’t been active for over 3 years, so Emma may not respond.
But I can assure you that coconut oil will not help you out of a hypo.
You would need carbs for that.
Fat digests far too slowly to treat a hypo.

Type 1 diabetics use glucose, jelly babies and things like lucozade to raise blood glucose after a hypo.
And RHers usually use low carbing to avoid the hypo in the first place, but if they do get a hypo, they usually treat with a small amount of carb and then follow with a proper low carb meal (to prevent the rebound knock on effect of repeated hypers and hypos.

Ruthbcn

Hi,
I’m afraid you have posted on a thread that hasn’t been active for over 3 years, so Emma may not respond.
But I can assure you that coconut oil will not help you out of a hypo.
You would need carbs for that.
Fat digests far too slowly to treat a hypo.

Type 1 diabetics use glucose, jelly babies and things like lucozade to raise blood glucose after a hypo.
And RHers usually use low carbing to avoid the hypo in the first place, but if they do get a hypo, they usually treat with a small amount of carb and then follow with a proper low carb meal (to prevent the rebound knock on effect of repeated hypers and hypos.
Thanks!

Reactions: Brunneria