Improved insulin sensitivity in muscles?

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello all, I regard myself as generally quite unfit, although Fitbit says my cardio fitness is average to good at the moment (it was fair to average before)

Even so, I always struggled to climb stairs, not just because of asthma and a heart murmur, but because my leg muscles hurt so much.

I have lost nearly three stones in weight over the past year, which of course will help, but since starting intermittent fasting with a bit of extended fasting, I noticed I can get up three flights of stairs at work without my muscles hurting.

I was so surprised that I even did another flight (went down one and back up) to see if my muscles would start hurting - they didn't. I should say that over the past few weeks I haven't been taking the stairs much due to exam season, so I've been relatively sedentary even for me.

So I expected my muscles to really hurt, and am very surprised they didn't.

Do you think this could be down to improved insulin sensitivity? I dont manage my diet perfectly by any means but have done a fair bit of successful fasting over the past few months.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Simply put, I think that you are burning your preferred fuel much more efficiently and as you have cut down on carbs you have possibly made inflammation plummet. Well done, onwards on downwards (or upwards and downwards in your case:)).

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks @Guzzler, I'm struggling with diet indiscretions and weight regain at the moment, so this win is a really big deal motivation wise!

Reactions: Guzzler

Caeseji

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self-fellating idiots that don't at all look at other people's views
Hello all, I regard myself as generally quite unfit, although Fitbit says my cardio fitness is average to good at the moment (it was fair to average before)

Even so, I always struggled to climb stairs, not just because of asthma and a heart murmur, but because my leg muscles hurt so much.

I have lost nearly three stones in weight over the past year, which of course will help, but since starting intermittent fasting with a bit of extended fasting, I noticed I can get up three flights of stairs at work without my muscles hurting.

I was so surprised that I even did another flight (went down one and back up) to see if my muscles would start hurting - they didn't. I should say that over the past few weeks I haven't been taking the stairs much due to exam season, so I've been relatively sedentary even for me.

So I expected my muscles to really hurt, and am very surprised they didn't.

Do you think this could be down to improved insulin sensitivity? I dont manage my diet perfectly by any means but have done a fair bit of successful fasting over the past few months.
WOO! Is all I can say there, you're doing so well with this new regime! Like @Guzzler said you are probably now much more adapted to your diet and fuel, I noticed the same lately that there was a BIG shift towards energy lately so it seems that you got yourself adapted. Keep on trucking!

NR

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
GPs who don’t keep up to date!
Hi, After 4 months on v. low carb diet, <1000cal/day, Cardio+resistance in gym 3x /wk, I went from 82kg to 70kg and managed to survive (not sure I could say “enjoy”) a 100km walk in 6 days of temps in the late 20degC That was a “holiday” btw! Actually, the sense of achievement at the age of 65 was pretty good, so I think you are doing well and maybe you could add in a bit of gym work now to cement the gains.
What I find frustrating is my other half is stick thin, eats anything and everything + seconds and only swims once a week. He thought that walk was a hop skipetty jump, but then he got blisters on the 3rd day and, boy, did we know about it

Reactions: jpscloud and Dinet

agwagw

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, wondering what your BGs are / were during the times of muscle pain compared with now?

Reactions: jpscloud

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, wondering what your BGs are / were during the times of muscle pain compared with now?
Generally higher, and due to poor eating habits (which still persist at times by the way, I don't want to be a fraud) I was always in a "fed" state.

@NR, I am not consistently low carb, and I'm also in a period of instability with weight, struggling to stop steady gain.

This makes it all the more surprising that my muscles should be working without pain now - I'm pretty certain it must be down to intermittent fasting.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, After 4 months on v. low carb diet, <1000cal/day, Cardio+resistance in gym 3x /wk, I went from 82kg to 70kg and managed to survive (not sure I could say “enjoy”) a 100km walk in 6 days of temps in the late 20degC That was a “holiday” btw! Actually, the sense of achievement at the age of 65 was pretty good, so I think you are doing well and maybe you could add in a bit of gym work now to cement the gains. /QUOTE]
@NR That sound like a brilliant programme on all fronts. How did you manage your low carb diet during the walk? Also I'm curious to know where you went. I have done a lot of long distance walking in the past, but not since I started on low carb eating.

Last edited: