1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Improved insulin sensitivity in muscles?

Discussion in 'Fitness, Exercise and Sport' started by jpscloud, Jun 20, 2019.

1. jpscloud

jpscloud Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hello all, I regard myself as generally quite unfit, although Fitbit says my cardio fitness is average to good at the moment (it was fair to average before)

Even so, I always struggled to climb stairs, not just because of asthma and a heart murmur, but because my leg muscles hurt so much.

I have lost nearly three stones in weight over the past year, which of course will help, but since starting intermittent fasting with a bit of extended fasting, I noticed I can get up three flights of stairs at work without my muscles hurting.

I was so surprised that I even did another flight (went down one and back up) to see if my muscles would start hurting - they didn't. I should say that over the past few weeks I haven't been taking the stairs much due to exam season, so I've been relatively sedentary even for me.

So I expected my muscles to really hurt, and am very surprised they didn't.

Do you think this could be down to improved insulin sensitivity? I dont manage my diet perfectly by any means but have done a fair bit of successful fasting over the past few months.

• Winner Winner x 4
  2. Guzzler

Guzzler Type 2 · Master

Simply put, I think that you are burning your preferred fuel much more efficiently and as you have cut down on carbs you have possibly made inflammation plummet. Well done, onwards on downwards (or upwards and downwards in your case:)).

• Like Like x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. jpscloud

Thanks @Guzzler, I'm struggling with diet indiscretions and weight regain at the moment, so this win is a really big deal motivation wise!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Caeseji

Caeseji Type 2 · Well-Known Member

WOO! Is all I can say there, you're doing so well with this new regime! Like @Guzzler said you are probably now much more adapted to your diet and fuel, I noticed the same lately that there was a BIG shift towards energy lately so it seems that you got yourself adapted. Keep on trucking!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. NR

NR · Newbie

Hi, After 4 months on v. low carb diet, <1000cal/day, Cardio+resistance in gym 3x /wk, I went from 82kg to 70kg and managed to survive (not sure I could say “enjoy”) a 100km walk in 6 days of temps in the late 20degC That was a “holiday” btw! Actually, the sense of achievement at the age of 65 was pretty good, so I think you are doing well and maybe you could add in a bit of gym work now to cement the gains.
    What I find frustrating is my other half is stick thin, eats anything and everything + seconds and only swims once a week. He thought that walk was a hop skipetty jump, but then he got blisters on the 3rd day and, boy, did we know about it

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. agwagw

agwagw LADA · Well-Known Member

Hi, wondering what your BGs are / were during the times of muscle pain compared with now?

• Like Like x 1
  7. jpscloud

Generally higher, and due to poor eating habits (which still persist at times by the way, I don't want to be a fraud) I was always in a "fed" state.

@NR, I am not consistently low carb, and I'm also in a period of instability with weight, struggling to stop steady gain.

This makes it all the more surprising that my muscles should be working without pain now - I'm pretty certain it must be down to intermittent fasting.

8. Alexandra100

Alexandra100 Prefer not to say · Well-Known Member

#8 Alexandra100, Jun 27, 2019 at 8:13 PM
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2019
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook