coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!
Hi everyone.
I've been missing off the site for about 9 months, firstly because my mum died suddenly, then my fiance called off our engagement just a few weeks after mum's funeral, and then ... as if that wasn't enough distress ... my only son died suddenly and unexpectedly in February. So much devastation has taken it's toll on my condition, and I stopped testing ... eating properly, and walking etc, as all I wanted to do was curl up in a corner somewhere.
I ignored my diabetic review ... despite two letters and a phone call from my surgery ... as I couldn't face it, and I knew it would be bad news anyway since I have gained a stone since this time last year.
I feel so out of control and I just need some help ... some steps to get me on track again. My world is all upside down right now.

Reactions: pavlosn

archersuz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi @coby

I'm sorry to hear all that and can understand why you went of the rails. I've struggled since Christmas and have taken my eye off the ball. My BG has remained 'normal' but I'm gaining weight.

I know I need to get back on track but I'm lacking the motivation too! I have returned to the forum and hope this will inspire me.

Suz

Reactions: pavlosn

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi @coby

I'm sorry to hear all that and can understand why you went of the rails. I've struggled since Christmas and have taken my eye off the ball. My BG has remained 'normal' but I'm gaining weight.

I know I need to get back on track but I'm lacking the motivation too! I have returned to the forum and hope this will inspire me.

Suz
We both need inspiring then Suzy x

Reactions: JohnEGreen and zand

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh @coby I have no words. Life has indeed dealt you blow after blow and it’s not surprising it’s taken it’s toll.

If you’re ready to start taking steps back to control then popping in here regularly and making small steps might be a way forward. Perhaps start with booking your review and getting a starting point. No matter what that is it’ll give you a way to monitor how your progress goes and that’s a potential source of motivation.

Try a few tests and make a plan for a few simple swaps to get you started. And fresh air is great for diabetes and lifting mood.

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Oh @coby I have no words. Life has indeed dealt you blow after blow and it’s not surprising it’s taken it’s toll.

If you’re ready to start taking steps back to control then popping in here regularly and making small steps might be a way forward. Perhaps start with booking your review and getting a starting point. No matter what that is it’ll give you a way to monitor how your progress goes and that’s a potential source of motivation.

Try a few tests and make a plan for a few simple swaps to get you started. And fresh air is great for diabetes and lifting mood.
I did actually try testing a couple of evenings ago and it was 9 ... which scared me because before all of this I was always within the 5 to 6 range. I know 9 isn't high to some, but when you have been at a good range for some time (and my weight had been down to 9st) then it does worry you. I so want to be back where I was 12 months ago. x

archersuz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
@coby how about we both support each other and declare our weight loss each week? I would like to lose a stone. Would that help you? I'm not currently checking my BG but will start if that would help motivate you to start?

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I did actually try testing a couple of evenings ago and it was 9 ... which scared me because before all of this I was always within the 5 to 6 range. I know 9 isn't high to some, but when you have been at a good range for some time (and my weight had been down to 9st) then it does worry you. I so want to be back where I was 12 months ago. x
I understand. A few days of decent low carb eating will start to bring that down though and motivate you. And it seems you have an accountability buddy in @archersuz :)

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@coby how very sad life has been recently and I feel for you xx
However coming back to the forum indicates to me that you are ready to get back in control. Can you think back to how you gained control before? I take Metformin, eat low carbs and self test. Maybe start by having a reread of the Newly Diagnosed info here:
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/basic-information-for-newly-diagnosed-diabetics.17088/
You can also find it in any moderators signature.
Booking your review as @HSSS suggests will give you a starting point.
Come back with any questions you might have.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone.
I've been missing off the site for about 9 months, firstly because my mum died suddenly, then my fiance called off our engagement just a few weeks after mum's funeral, and then ... as if that wasn't enough distress ... my only son died suddenly and unexpectedly in February. So much devastation has taken it's toll on my condition, and I stopped testing ... eating properly, and walking etc, as all I wanted to do was curl up in a corner somewhere.
I ignored my diabetic review ... despite two letters and a phone call from my surgery ... as I couldn't face it, and I knew it would be bad news anyway since I have gained a stone since this time last year.
I feel so out of control and I just need some help ... some steps to get me on track again. My world is all upside down right now.
OmgI am so sorry for all the distress you have and are going through. Its no wonder you are struggling to get back to where you want to be. All I can say us everyone you have lost would not want you to be suffering so try and get back on track as best you can. Sending you lots of hugs and best wishes to look after YOU.

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
@coby how about we both support each other and declare our weight loss each week? I would like to lose a stone. Would that help you? I'm not currently checking my BG but will start if that would help motivate you to start?
Oh that would really help! I feel so alone with a huge mountain to climb. Having to deal with all I've had to this past year with absolutely no network of support has just quashed all enthusiasm to try to help myself. I'm usually a content and upbeat person but that's just not been possible. Thank you so much for offering support and I should like to support you too if I can xx

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
@coby how very sad life has been recently and I feel for you xx
However coming back to the forum indicates to me that you are ready to get back in control. Can you think back to how you gained control before? I take Metformin, eat low carbs and self test. Maybe start by having a reread of the Newly Diagnosed info here:
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/basic-information-for-newly-diagnosed-diabetics.17088/
You can also find it in any moderators signature.
Booking your review as @HSSS suggests will give you a starting point.
Come back with any questions you might have.
Hi Rachox and YES ... this is why I've come back .. as I wish to try to gain some control again. I am on one Metformin per day ... down from 3 when diagnosed three years ago. I didn't want to be put on more, or other medications, so another reasoin why I refused my review. Right now I am 10 stone and with being thick waisted it isn't good. I was only a few pounds over this on initial diagnosis I should add that I am petite too x

archersuz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thank you so much for offering support and I should like to support you too if I can xx
Ok, so I will weigh in on Friday and then every Friday after that. I'm happy to declare weight loss, but not my weight! How does that sound? And I'll start testing my BG from tomorrow morning. We can get back on track! I had an HbA1C only last week and got a 'normal' 37, but I have been as low as 34 in the past, so let's see if I can lower it when I have my next check. Part of my problem is that the GP has reduced my HbA1C tests to 6 monthly and that has led to me thinking I can 'cheat' and no-one will find out as long as I'm 'good' for the couple of months immediately before the test.

Reactions: Prem51

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Ok, so I will weigh in on Friday and then every Friday after that. I'm happy to declare weight loss, but not my weight! How does that sound? And I'll start testing my BG from tomorrow morning. We can get back on track! I had an HbA1C only last week and got a 'normal' 37, but I have been as low as 34 in the past, so let's see if I can lower it when I have my next check. Part of my problem is that the GP has reduced my HbA1C tests to 6 monthly and that has led to me thinking I can 'cheat' and no-one will find out as long as I'm 'good' for the couple of months immediately before the test.
Sue my reviews have always been 6 monthly! Only had one three months at beginning. Yes I am happy to do that, but there won't be much difference THIS Friday! Have to start somewhere though xx

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
OmgI am so sorry for all the distress you have and are going through. Its no wonder you are struggling to get back to where you want to be. All I can say us everyone you have lost would not want you to be suffering so try and get back on track as best you can. Sending you lots of hugs and best wishes to look after YOU.
It's still sinking in with my son ... I'm in a surreal bubble but I expect that is normal after such a big shock x

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes

Thank you HSSS ... Knowing people are behind me will make such a difference. Normally it would have been my mum :(