Alcohol & metformin

Jim W

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello i am a new member to the site and new to type 2 diabetes . One of my many questions is I dont drink alcohol now but did like to have a beer when I was younger and have had the odd one beer probably once or even twice a year . But now I have been diagnosed with type2 and on 1000mg in the morning and 1000mg of Metformin for the evening based on my very first blood sugar test was 6.8 . My question is if I am at a function or hotel break can I take one pint of lager whilst using Metformin without any adverse reaction .

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
According to the leaflet you shouldn't prescribe metformin to heavy drinkers. Which you definitely aren't when having an occasional beer.

Reactions: SimonCrox

Bittern

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If I was at a function and I had to drive I would drink a tall glasses of water with lots of ice and a twist of lemon or lime. No alcohol but it looked like a gin and tonic, so none of the silly remarks about not drinking.
As far as the combination of metformin and alcohol is concerned I have drunk wine whilst taking metformin with no apparent ill effects.

Reactions: SimonCrox

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.

I must say that this seems a bit scary and possibly misleading.

If alcohol and Metformin can combine to lower BG then washing your Metformin down with a single malt appears to be an effective combined treatment.

Also, I very much doubt that the average T2 on Metformin alone carries around an emergency hypo kit just in case they have an alcoholic drink.

It also depends on what you drink. Beer has carbohydrate and so may well raise your BG. Alcopops and spirits with mixers can also be sugary, I think.

There is some degree of risk, but the link above does no quantify it.
There is no information on what percentage of people on Metformin suffer a hypo due to drinking alcohol, nor the percentage who suffer Lactic Acidosis.

I drink alcohol and I take Metformin.
So far I haven't had an identifiable hypo.
I may undertake some testing once my Freestyle Libre kicks in because it should be very clear how a shot of booze affects my BG levels.
I look forward to many a happy (strictly scientific) hour of dedicated research. :cool:

If in doubt, test with your meter to confirm the impact.

Reactions: ziggy_w

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

If alcohol and Metformin can combine to lower BG then washing your Metformin down with a single malt appears to be an effective combined treatment.

Also, I very much doubt that the average T2 on Metformin alone carries around an emergency hypo kit just in case they have an alcoholic drink.

It also depends on what you drink. Beer has carbohydrate and so may well raise your BG. Alcopops and spirits with mixers can also be sugary, I think.

There is no information on what percentage of people on Metformin suffer a hypo due to drinking alcohol, nor the percentage who suffer Lactic Acidosis.

I may undertake some testing once my Freestyle Libre kicks in because it should be very clear how a shot of booze affects my BG levels.
I look forward to many a happy (strictly scientific) hour of dedicated research. :cool:

I agree that that article is a bit sensational, I used to have a more level headed one to share. I think Metformin with alcohol is more of a danger if you are an alcoholic or you binge drink. The occasional social drink that the OP cites is perfectly acceptable.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Just be sensible. A pint of beer or similar is unlikely to do you any harm with Metformin.

Jim W

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Almost certainly yes. From a clinical safety point of view anyway.
Hello Jim was your reply yes i can have one beer when out with my wife as I have only been drinking water but just feel the notion for one without having to run to toilet with the runs as i am having difficulty eating and having to run to the toilet unexpectedly at random with the metformin tablets .

Jim W

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If I was at a function and I had to drive I would drink a tall glasses of water with lots of ice and a twist of lemon or lime. No alcohol but it looked like a gin and tonic, so none of the silly remarks about not drinking.
As far as the combination of metformin and alcohol is concerned I have drunk wine whilst taking metformin with no apparent ill effects.
Well sometimes you get a notion but not very often .when youve been drinking 2.5 litres of water every day for quite a few years it would be nice to have a change . If i had one beer I would not be driving there is taxis and public transport to use. But thanks for your advice .

M

Member496333

Hello Jim was your reply yes i can have one beer when out with my wife as I have only been drinking water but just feel the notion for one without having to run to toilet with the runs as i am having difficulty eating and having to run to the toilet unexpectedly at random with the metformin tablets .

All I can say is that I very much doubt you’d run into any clinical problems directly related to mixing Metformin with one or two beers. Personally I’m zero carb and teetotal, so I obviously wouldn’t, but I did still drink alcohol when I was on Metformin and didn’t personally experience any issues that I ever noticed.

Jim W

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
According to the leaflet you shouldn't prescribe metformin to heavy drinkers. Which you definitely aren't when having an occasional beer.
Nope I am certainly not years ago yes . but have no notion to try and recover from a hangover or remember what happened the night before . I enjoy being sober but do have this notion to have one beer . Dont get me wrong I was not a alcoholic .

Reactions: Antje77

Jim W

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
All I can say is that I very much doubt you’d run into any clinical problems directly related to mixing Metformin with one or two beers. Personally I’m zero carb and teetotal, so I obviously wouldn’t, but I did still drink alcohol when I was on Metformin and didn’t personally experience any issues that I ever noticed.
Thank you Jim

Reactions: Member496333

Jim W

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Hi I think I am more worried if I get the same side effects that I am getting with eating whilst taking Metformin . The having to run to toilet sometimes without a five minute warning which is fine in your own house but maybe if I am at a function or a Hotel most toilets are not as clean as you like and dont always have toilet paper and soap and might be further than you can get to in time if the cubicles free and has a lockable door or even a door . On second thoughts maybe i should just stick to water . Safer

Jim W

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

I dont use a tester so I just rely on the doctors usual bloodtests Maybe because im just Type2.

Jim W

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Almost certainly yes. From a clinical safety point of view anyway.
Do people that have type2 need a tester as the doctor hasnt mentioned it but there again maybe 6.8 is high but not high enough to merit a tester.

M

Member496333

Do people that have type2 need a tester as the doctor hasnt mentioned it but there again maybe 6.8 is high but not high enough to merit a tester.

In my opinion, yes. But that’s a whole other subject entirely! :D

D

Deleted member 308541

@Jim W When I was taking Metformin for 2½ years, I was drinking low carb beer om a regular basis, I was not drinking to get #@%^ faced tho'.