Vegetarians: What have you eaten today?

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
Today is a busy day so I started with a good breakfast:

Vegan sausage, seitan bacon (home-made), tinned cherry tomatoes, enormous pile of mushrooms - liberally sprinkled with parmegan.

Lunch will be a raw veg/salad bowl with seeds, parmegan and nut oil.

Dinner is a quick and dirty shop bought vegan pizza with home made salad. We're both really busy today, and will both be very tired by mealtime. Want a very easy option where neither of us has to think much beyond washing stuff and chopping it up.

Reactions: Robinredbreast

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
I had stir fried zucchini and squash, cauliflower rice with Braggs aminos and teriyaki seitan. It was luscious, I'm thinking about repeating it today!

Reactions: Guna108

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
I had stir fried zucchini and squash, cauliflower rice with Braggs aminos and teriyaki seitan. It was luscious, I'm thinking about repeating it today!

I totally get that. I've had the same breakfast every day this week simply because this week's batch of seitan bacon turned out to be the best I've ever made and I am looking for excuses to eat it!

So - tinned charry toms (half tin), big pile of mushrooms, 4 rashers of home made seitan bacon. Parmegan over the toms. Yum!

I like Braggs on my lunch bowl but today I am making the chickpeas in sweet 'n smoky sauce and will have a spoonful in with my lunch veggies. The flavour goes through the whole bowl and is just totally scrummy :hungry:

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
I have been really into cauliflower rice lately, I don’t steam it, I just micro it in a bowl and it gets rid of the excess liquid that way and makes it fluffy like rice and spray the aminos over it. Really loving it nowadays! I’ve been eating it almost daily!

So I can see if your bacon turned out good making meals around it to include it!

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

I'll try your way of doing cauli rice! I'm very fond of it too, but your way sounds quick and easy.

I have to make steaks this afternoon - run out and if I don't have one for my evening meal (with loads of veggies) I'll be woefully short on protein for the day. That won't do at all. Luckily, it only takes about 15 minutes prep and 25 minutes steaming. No time at all really.

Reactions: Marie 2

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been really into cauliflower rice lately, I don’t steam it, I just micro it in a bowl and it gets rid of the excess liquid that way and makes it fluffy like rice and spray the aminos over it. Really loving it nowadays! I’ve been eating it almost daily!

So I can see if your bacon turned out good making meals around it to include it!

Marie - Have you tried doing your cauli rice in a hot wok? For me, that's the must successful method and wonderful for getting flavours through it, with all the movement in the pan. Paella or Pilau spices work a treat.

I often do it in a dry wok, which means it's just a wipe with a damp cloth to clean it. It's no challenge if I use oil either.

Reactions: Guna108 and Marie 2

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks @DUCKMod, I hadn't thought about a wok for it, Sounds like it you might be able to make it a little crispy?

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

Certainly can! We stir fry lots of stuff - quick, easy and if you have a bunch of ingredients that you're not sure totally go together - just stir fry them and add a sauce! The sauce will pull them all in together and you can chuck the lot on your cauli rice, or on noodles, wholegrain rice - whatever.

Speaking of rice, we have some black rice at home at the moment - lovely chewy texture!

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

Yesterday's lunch was stereotypical of a non-vegan's idea of what vegans eat haha!

I had my usual bowl of chopped veg topped with sunflower seeds, parmigan, a little walnut oil and then I topped it off with sprouted seeds that my husband had got for me. It just looked so much like someone's imagination that we cracked up laughing.

It was, however, gorgeous! I was going to do the chickpeas in sweet 'n smoky sauce but didn't get home from work until quite late and I just wanted to grab and gorge, so to speak.

Husband - to my great joy - has said he wants to be fully veggie now; not just flexi. I am so amazingly thankful. One day he might see his way to full veganism but he might not - it is his path to tread. And I am delighted at the idea that the only flesh foods in my home will be the dog food (husband refuses point blank to change their diet and again, maybe one day...) But yay for husband's personal change!

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
That's happy news for you!!!!! When my husband decided to go vegetarian I was happy too!

Reactions: WuTwo

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

Looking forward to dinner - having home made mixed bell pepper stir fry, black Thai rice and Gardein Mandarin Orange "chicken". Gardein have only just come to our favourite supermarket, and husband is having their sweet & sour pork (vegan) - we've not had any of their stuff before. I hope it's half way decent!

Following with those really big but flavoursome strawberries with Alpro coconut yoghurt.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Gardein products are wonderful! They make 40 plus items now. I met the chef that created the original products when they where starting out and he was very picky about what went into their products. He is an amazing chef. All their stuff is really good, I don’t think I have ever been disappointed in a flavor of a product. They haven’t really been around that long and you can find them everywhere, very successful.

My favorites have been beef tips, chicken tenders, turkey rolls. It’s just hard because they have so many items to consistently find the variety they have. You will have fun trying them out! All vegan.

Reactions: WuTwo

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

B. Seitan bacon, wholemeal bread and homemade tomato chutney - bacon sarnies!

L. Cauliflower & butternut squash dahl, topped with sprouted seeds (a lot, cos I love them) and parmegan

D. Aduki beanburgers, jacket potatoes, peas, broccoli followed by strawberries & yoghurt.

Yum!

Also, bag of tiger nuts for snacking. Nice and chewy so I can only manage a few at a time. It takes me days to eat a whole bagful!

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

I never got round to making the seitan tenders so tomorrow and Tueday will have to be curry or stir fry; which are both scrumptious and I'm happy to eat them anytime.

Maybe the black rice with a thai curry? Hmmm - sounds like it should work. I'll hit the recipe pages this afternoon.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks @DUCKMod, I hadn't thought about a wok for it, Sounds like it you might be able to make it a little crispy?

Sorry I missed your tag, Marie, your spelling of my ID made me smile.

For me, I haven't tried to get it crispy in the wok, but have managed it (by mistake!) in the oven.

Life is one big experiment.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Lo, I didn't realize I even did that!!!
Sorry @DCUKMod I would blame it on autospelling, but I don't think that was really it!!!!!

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
A burger sounds good today, with lots of lettuce, tomato and onion! I was going to have it yesterday but my BG's kept going stubbornly high, so I didn't eat much.

It turns out after changing my new pod I had put on in case my new pod was in a bad spot, that I finger tested on my meter, that for some reason my Dexcom was reading 40 points over what I really was.........................sigh, why did I not finger stick earlier? Smacking myself in the side of the head!!!!

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Lo, I didn't realize I even did that!!!
Sorry @DCUKMod I would blame it on autospelling, but I don't think that was really it!!!!!

I feel I can be very confident others have called me worse. Muuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuch worse. :eek:)

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry I missed your tag, Marie, your spelling of my ID made me smile.

For me, I haven't tried to get it crispy in the wok, but have managed it (by mistake!) in the oven.

Life is one big experiment.
Crispy Duck. :D

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

B. Seitan bacon, wholemeal bread and homemade tomato chutney - bacon sarnies!

L. Cauliflower & butternut squash dahl, topped with sprouted seeds (a lot, cos I love them) and parmegan

D. Aduki beanburgers, jacket potatoes, peas, broccoli followed by strawberries & yoghurt.

Yum!

Also, bag of tiger nuts for snacking. Nice and chewy so I can only manage a few at a time. It takes me days to eat a whole bagful!

In the event I left the (tiny) jacket potato so I could eat more broccoli. Threw some asparagus into the steamer and had that too. Also, I didn't want the yoghurt & strawberries and nibbled on a few blueberries. The burger was ultra filling. I must remember that for next time so I can arrange to have something else on the night he wants those.

I did love the dhal - had a lot of cauliflower and butternut squash in it, so the lentils were reduced. I could have eaten a lot less of it and had a salad with it. That would in fact have been nicer. I have made a note somewhere.....

The tiger nuts are chewier than I remember. I managed about 10 of them, eaten one at a time. At this rate the bag will last a loooong time!