Anxiety problems with higher HBA1C?

Simmo76

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey all!
Just wondering if anyone has found their anxiety/depression has seriously worsened if their HBA1C is too high ? Mines 11.2% and its really affecting my mental health?

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey all!
Just wondering if anyone has found their anxiety/depression has seriously worsened if their HBA1C is too high ? Mines 11.2% and its really affecting my mental health?
Yes. Oh, so very yes. Just a T2, and I am a bit "off" as it is, but high bloodsugars made absolutely everything that much worse. Depression, anxiety, panic attacks, insomnia... Getting them under control made quite the difference. I'll never be a normal human being, not by a long shot... But I get to enjoy life more with lower bloodsugars. Before, I was just busy getting through it. And I do think that's a universal thing. So good luck getting on top of things...! (It'll be worth it)

Reactions: Simmo76

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @Simmo76 Yes unfortunately high glucose levels can affect mood and anxiety levels, the 2 literally go hand in hand, i've noticed personally I am mentally much better when keeping in range or below 9 mmol/l, high glucose levels in the blood slow cognitive thinking and reasoning making life alot harder to deal and the body is working harder to flush the glucose out.

Are you getting any support in managing your glucose levels ? I am assuming you are type 1 on insulin.

Simmo76

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello @Simmo76 Yes unfortunately high glucose levels can affect mood and anxiety levels, the 2 literally go hand in hand, i've noticed personally I am mentally much better when keeping in range or below 9 mmol/l, high glucose levels in the blood slow cognitive thinking and reasoning making life alot harder to deal and the body is working harder to flush the glucose out.

Are you getting any support in managing your glucose levels ? I am assuming you are type 1 on insulin.
Hi there ! Yes I've just contacted my team in hospital after going Awol for a while . Going to pop me in waiting list for clinic. Its turned me from a confident competent person to a gibbering wreck on worst days.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @Simmo76, Sorry to gear you are having troubles.
Mood and BSLs/HBAIC are like chicken and egg.
The stresses on one's body that Anxiety/depression can cause can send bsls way up.
And the unwell feeling of high bsls can make us feel more anxious and depressed.
As an example, in my own case the answer is obtaining the best advice regarding diet, any medication and exercise etc to get bsls down to better levels.
That helped whatever else was happening.
I saw my GP to start that process because sometimes a low or high functioning thyroid or a low vitamin B 12 level can cause mood changes well apart from any other cause.
I needed to find the best way to treat my diabetes, in my case Type 1 therefore insulin and diet to get the best bsls. There are ways if you wish to explore them.
Having a strong family history of depression was an added burden for me and counselling and finally antidepressants were needed.
But with beter bsls and thus HBAIC i have reduces doses.
Having support, friends, this forum etc is alsi important.
And to kearn to breathe evenly, not tto fast or deep and to breathe through times of ups and downs.
A hobby or past time, a pet to look after, things to keep busy with are also invaluable, i find.
Please keep asking questions and we shall do your best to give you the bestest answrs and support.:):):)

Simmo76

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Simmo76, Sorry to gear you are having troubles.
Mood and BSLs/HBAIC are like chicken and egg.
The stresses on one's body that Anxiety/depression can cause can send bsls way up.
And the unwell feeling of high bsls can make us feel more anxious and depressed.
As an example, in my own case the answer is obtaining the best advice regarding diet, any medication and exercise etc to get bsls down to better levels.
That helped whatever else was happening.
I saw my GP to start that process because sometimes a low or high functioning thyroid or a low vitamin B 12 level can cause mood changes well apart from any other cause.
I needed to find the best way to treat my diabetes, in my case Type 1 therefore insulin and diet to get the best bsls. There are ways if you wish to explore them.
Having a strong family history of depression was an added burden for me and counselling and finally antidepressants were needed.
But with beter bsls and thus HBAIC i have reduces doses.
Having support, friends, this forum etc is alsi important.
And to kearn to breathe evenly, not tto fast or deep and to breathe through times of ups and downs.
A hobby or past time, a pet to look after, things to keep busy with are also invaluable, i find.
Please keep asking questions and we shall do your best to give you the bestest answrs and support.:):):)
Aww wow thanks so much. Feeling like its making sense since coming on here and meeting Mel DCP :)

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi there ! Yes I've just contacted my team in hospital after going Awol for a while . Going to pop me in waiting list for clinic. Its turned me from a confident competent person to a gibbering wreck on worst days.

Sorry to hear that. I have to admit I know how that feels...

It's very much like balancing on a tightrope, takes work but once you've got the jist of it then it becomes much easier, doesn't mean to say we all fall off every once in a while, it's just a case of dusting down and jumping back on, get yourself a copy of 'think like a pancreas' it's written by a type 1 and very useful as a reference in helping you to understand more about insulin and management.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Oh hell yes. When I had an HbA1c in the low teens i was on the verge of being diagnosed as bipolar. Improving my levels to non-d levels has pretty much cured all the mental health issues that were plaguing my life.

Reactions: Juicyj and Simmo76

Simmo76

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry to hear that. I have to admit I know how that feels...

It's very much like balancing on a tightrope, takes work but once you've got the jist of it then it becomes much easier, doesn't mean to say we all fall off every once in a while, it's just a case of dusting down and jumping back on, get yourself a copy of 'think like a pancreas' it's written by a type 1 and very useful as a reference in helping you to understand more about insulin and management.
Thanks I will look for that. Making me feel so much better knowing its not just me :)

Simmo76

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh hell yes. When I had an HbA1c in the low teens i was on the verge of being diagnosed as bipolar. Improving my levels to non-d levels has pretty much cured all the mental health issues that were plaguing my life.
Thats very encouraging! Thinking Im losing my mind lately !

enzina

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pain, being dependent, egoistic people & jealousy
Hi @Simmo76 ,
I hope you're feeling better very soon! I feel for you, i've been there. For years i was treated for T2 diabetes and my a1c was 11 when i was finally told i'm T1. Before i had the levels under control, i was anxious to the maximum, fell out with everyone, had some problems at work etc. I also developed the terrible skin picking disorder (dermatillomania), was scratching and picking my back, shoulders and for a while even my injection sites. I had absolutely no idea this is a sign of anxiety. Every single day i was just thinking i won't get much older and surely will die soon. Only the love for my dogs kept me going.
Now i feel so much better, in two weeks i will travel to the Canary Islands on my own.
All the best, good luck!

Simmo76

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Simmo76 ,
I hope you're feeling better very soon! I feel for you, i've been there. For years i was treated for T2 diabetes and my a1c was 11 when i was finally told i'm T1. Before i had the levels under control, i was anxious to the maximum, fell out with everyone, had some problems at work etc. I also developed the terrible skin picking disorder (dermatillomania), was scratching and picking my back, shoulders and for a while even my injection sites. I had absolutely no idea this is a sign of anxiety. Every single day i was just thinking i won't get much older and surely will die soon. Only the love for my dogs kept me going.
Now i feel so much better, in two weeks i will travel to the Canary Islands on my own.
All the best, good luck!
Oh my word I've been doing skin thing. I didn't put the connection. Thank you so much for sharing. Im really hoping to get these levels under control asap and claim me back ;)

enzina

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pain, being dependent, egoistic people & jealousy
Oh my word I've been doing skin thing. I didn't put the connection. Thank you so much for sharing. Im really hoping to get these levels under control asap and claim me back ;)

Wow, you too? :banghead: The thing is, nothing heals proper when you're running so high figures and it hurts, burns and itches.

Simmo76

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes. Oh, so very yes. Just a T2, and I am a bit "off" as it is, but high bloodsugars made absolutely everything that much worse. Depression, anxiety, panic attacks, insomnia... Getting them under control made quite the difference. I'll never be a normal human being, not by a long shot... But I get to enjoy life more with lower bloodsugars. Before, I was just busy getting through it. And I do think that's a universal thing. So good luck getting on top of things...! (It'll be worth it)
Its horrible eh :( hope you are ok and things get easier .