The Early Days

skiclubber

Hi, I was diagnosed type 2 on 18th June 19. Symptoms that made me go to the docs were being tired all the time, peeing a lot and thirsty a lot. Seemed to kick off for me after a cold virus in early March, just never got over it.

Anyway think I am doing pretty well. Lots more energy within 2 weeks. Blood sugar levels gone from 33+ down to an average of 10 with glimepiride and Metformin. However the last two days at about the same time, 2pm, started feeling shaky and sweating, tested blood and was bang on 7 both times. Is this how it goes in the early days?

Regards
Mike

M

Member496333

Hi, I was diagnosed type 2 on 18th June 19. Symptoms that made me go to the docs were being tired all the time, peeing a lot and thirsty a lot. Seemed to kick off for me after a cold virus in early March, just never got over it.

Anyway think I am doing pretty well. Lots more energy within 2 weeks. Blood sugar levels gone from 33+ down to an average of 10 with glimepiride and Metformin. However the last two days at about the same time, 2pm, started feeling shaky and sweating, tested blood and was bang on 7 both times. Is this how it goes in the early days?

Regards
Mike

Welcome! The part in bold is probably what’s referred to as a “false hypo”. The symptoms are similar to hypoglycaemia (low blood sugar) even though it’s actually in a fairly normal range. People whose bodies are accustomed to much higher glucose levels sometimes experience this when their sugars begin rapidly falling.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
You have already made major adjustments which is great! At the beginning all sorts of things can change. One being if your body is used to higher sugars you will feel the symptoms of being low at "normal" levels. Your body will start to adjust to normal levels though pretty quickly as you bring down your BG's on a more regular basis. Plus sometimes any quick changes can also bring on symptoms.

The "being tired all the time, peeing a lot and thirsty a lot. Seemed to kick off for me after a cold virus in early March, just never got over it." I always like to warn people you can always be a misdiagnosed type 1, I was, and it's all too common. The first symptoms fit a type 1 and the fact that it happened after a virus. But these still could be type 2's issues too.

Type 2 takes a little while to happen usually. Type 1/LADA is a slow onset and it takes years to fully develop, you still make insulin until you don't, because of that is often mistaken for type 2. Just keep it in mind, just in case.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Regards
Mike
Hey Mike,

As has been stated already, you experienced a false hypo. Your body's used to being higher, so it freaks out when it thinks it is hypo-ing... It'll get used to the new normal, just ride them out and check your bloodglucose levels in case you actually are having a proper hypo that needs treatment. In the meantime, learn what you can and don't rely on the challenge alone to get your bloodsugars under control: No-one can outrun a bad diet, and for T2's a bad diet means carbs, as we're unable to process those. (White AND brown). https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog-entry/the-nutritional-thingy.2330/ may help, as would this forum's website, dietdoctor.com and Dr. Jason Fung's book The Diabetes Code.

Good luck!
Jo