Low carb vegan food

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
There’s been a few posts recently from people who follow a vegan/vegetarian way of life who were asking about combining it with low carb, so I thought I’d start a thread with some meal ideas, and the full nutritional breakdown (MyFitnessPal checked against labels for accuracy). Full disclosure - I’m ovo-pescatarian so eat some fish and eggs but will aim to keep this thread completely vegan.

This was a cauliflower couscous with kalamata olives, vegan kebab “meat”, mushrooms and spinach.

8g carbs, 35g fat, 42g protein.

E7CE220F-2C16-4D10-A7C3-E57ADC9C93B1.jpeg

I put a whole 300g tub of cauliflower rice in an over dish with a big sprinkle of Lidl couscous spice and baked it for half an hour at 200C, stirred every ten minutes or so. The rest of the ingredients were fried in the coconut oil until cooked, with a shake of tagine seasoning, mixed together with the cauliflower and then served.

Omni husband and son approved :)

94D2B5C6-7C29-4A8C-8571-8526FE92F275.jpeg

No comments about the perceived awfulness of fake meat products please, many of us who can’t or don’t eat meat rely on them for protein.

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
There’s been a few posts recently from people who follow a vegan/vegetarian way of life who were asking about combining it with low carb, so I thought I’d start a thread with some meal ideas, and the full nutritional breakdown (MyFitnessPal checked against labels for accuracy). Full disclosure - I’m ovo-pescatarian so eat some fish and eggs but will aim to keep this thread completely vegan.

This was a cauliflower couscous with kalamata olives, vegan kebab “meat”, mushrooms and spinach.

View attachment 33389

I put a whole 300g tub of cauliflower rice in an over dish with a big sprinkle of Lidl couscous spice and baked it for half an hour at 200C, stirred every ten minutes or so. The rest of the ingredients were fried in the coconut oil until cooked, with a shake of tagine seasoning, mixed together with the cauliflower and then served.

View attachment 33390

No comments about the perceived awfulness of fake meat products please, many of us who can’t or don’t eat meat rely on them for protein.
I expect to be trying that one. I'll probably make seitan and chop it, but other than that, yum!

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

View attachment 33389

View attachment 33390

Looks delicious.

I have looked at cous cous but it never comes across as low carb. Or am I looking at the wrong stuff? Or is cous cous spice just simply a spice for cous cous?

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Looks delicious.

I have looked at cous cous but it never comes across as low carb. Or am I looking at the wrong stuff? Or is cous cous spice just simply a spice for cous cous?
It was cauliflower - some shops sell it as cauliflower rice, others as cauliflower couscous. And yes - I usually buy a couple of packs when Lidl have their Moroccan promotion once or twice a year. The tagine spice was from the same range, but I’m sure a little googling will give the right combination of spices to make some.

Reactions: WuTwo

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Tonight’s dinner, my only meal today. A tablespoon of madras curry paste fried off in a little coconut oil, then chucked in a whole pack of Vivera mince, a couple of spring onions, loads of mushrooms, some vegan coconut yoghurt and a bag of spinach.

15g carb
22g fat
58g protein

1.05u Novorapid over an hour has kept me steady in the 5s, I don’t need to dose for plant protein.

CF632469-8C0F-4278-BC01-3EA2A6268500.jpeg
37E7D7EF-477E-4D1B-B180-012484C15A7D.jpeg

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Tonight’s dinner, my only meal today. A tablespoon of madras curry paste fried off in a little coconut oil, then chucked in a whole pack of Vivera mince, a couple of spring onions, loads of mushrooms, some vegan coconut yoghurt and a bag of spinach.

15g carb
22g fat
58g protein

1.05u Novorapid over an hour has kept me steady in the 5s, I don’t need to dose for plant protein.

View attachment 33447 View attachment 33448

Mel, if you ever stumble upon Thai or Holy Basil, it is absolutely wonderful in this sort of thing

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Your meals look delish @Mel dCP - I'm going to follow this thread and give some of recipes a try, although I'm not vegetarian I do now and then really enjoy the kind of food you're sharing with us - will be giving them a go when I get back from hols :)

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
As promised elsewhere, crispy tofu mushroom stir fry :) I just fried the tofu in some coconut oil after seasoning, and added it to the stir fry mix I’d got on the reduced counter in Lidl for 20p :D I added some Blend Bros sugar free sweet chilli sauce too, and a sprinkle of Furikake seasoning, which is salt, chopped seaweed and sesame seeds.

11g carb
32g fat
38g protein

058C5CF0-0A4F-41CD-9CFD-F583E52A1EE8.jpeg
B9D3DAC0-60A3-46D1-8B3A-020D50F24C77.jpeg

Reactions: WuTwo

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Thai jackfruit on a bed of roasted broccoli and aubergine. I saw the jackfruit in a farm shop, they had a few different flavours. Wasn’t that impressed tbh, it totally wasn’t worth the carbs. My lips, throat and mouth felt a bit tingly after, I wonder if I’m allergic to it? Edit: A quick google shows that it’s not uncommon in people who have allergies to birch pollen, which I do.

17g carbs
18g fat
14g protein

834FAF09-0BE4-435A-8AC0-2D0EC3BFFACC.jpeg
FE87FF72-669C-4AC3-87AD-EA5B16EE1169.jpeg

Reactions: Guna108

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Last night’s dinner, a mix of vegan kebab meat and a seitan chicken substitute I made following this recipe: https://itdoesnttastelikechicken.com/vegan-seitan-tenders/

Served on top of roasted cauliflower, broccoli, courgette and aubergine with a splosh of Blend Bros sugar free peri peri sauce.

Husband shared my meal (he usually has meat and carbs, which I don’t) and really enjoyed it :)

16g carbs
9g fat
32g protein

DD7CD85D-17EF-4DD0-A57B-6213D3EA432C.jpeg
692C2116-5097-43ED-BCB4-1F90EC58428B.jpeg

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
Reactions: Robinredbreast

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I’ve not have a carbonara for years, and just had a hankering for one tonight. A couple of spring onions and some mushrooms sautéed in a pan, and a sauce made from Alpro unsweetened soya yogurt, onion and garlic granules, salt and pepper, Italian herbs and nutritional yeast all chucked on top and cooked down. I crisped up some Vivera bacon bits in a second pan and chucked them in the sauce - and fried off some strips of asparagus with oil, lemon juice and pepper in place of the pasta. A sprinkle of nutritional yeast to serve for a nice cheesy flavour.

So there we have it, a vegan low carb carbonara :)

4.5g carb
18g fat
24g protein

1EC7804C-E01D-4BD9-9D5C-C050CBCC5D51.jpeg

223AEB24-0E5D-4F3A-97B1-8F13DBE5EE27.jpeg

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

I'll use that sauce, but probably on cauli rice rather than asparagus. I like that all on its own on the plate with a goodly dollop of Flora Buttery. I usually like the Light stuff - unintrusive - but for asparagus, nah.

But that sauce looks like a good 'un. I've always got home made seitan bacon in the house, and nooch, mushrooms and olive oil. If I'm right there are spring onions in the never-ending fridge....

I might make that sauce to go with my veggie bowl at lunch tomorrow.

Reactions: Robinredbreast
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people

15g carb
22g fat
58g protein

View attachment 33447 View attachment 33448

I do like spinach in a curry, veggie curry is my favourite and my daughter's likes it too :)
Looks great Mel :)

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Curry night. Like we need an excuse in this house...

Curry made by frying off some madras paste in coconut oil, adding aubergine, courgette and mushrooms and cooking down. When it was all cooked through, I added coconut yogurt and let it render down - I chucked in some nigella seeds, lime pickle and harissa to liven it up a bit.

Meanwhile I sprinkled tofu cubes with a little nutritional yeast, salt, pepper and smoked paprika and fried them until crispy in coconut oil. Sprinkled on top.

13g carbs
34g fat
28g protein

Carnivore/Carbivore husbeast says “absolutely lovely” :cat:

4716D571-5563-40D3-9667-77E3846DDD02.jpeg
472DE1C0-D510-4E6C-995A-03A6C3FF25D7.jpeg

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

Curry night. Like we need an excuse in this house...

Curry made by frying off some madras paste in coconut oil, adding aubergine, courgette and mushrooms and cooking down. When it was all cooked through, I added coconut yogurt and let it render down - I chucked in some nigella seeds, lime pickle and harissa to liven it up a bit.

Meanwhile I sprinkled tofu cubes with a little nutritional yeast, salt, pepper and smoked paprika and fried them until crispy in coconut oil. Sprinkled on top.

13g carbs
34g fat
28g protein

Carnivore/Carbivore husbeast says “absolutely lovely” :cat:

View attachment 33935 View attachment 33936

How firm was the tofu you used please? I tend to make very firm, which is great for strips, steaks etc but I'm never sure in other peoples' recipes (insecurities ....). I am making another batch on Wednesday and can split it so that I make half very firm and half not so firm (it's actually nicer for scramble that way and I have just had two gorgeous scramble recipes sent to my inbox that I want to try).

I could serve that with a mix of cauli rice/black Thai rice - nice combination of textures.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
How firm was the tofu you used please? I tend to make very firm, which is great for strips, steaks etc but I'm never sure in other peoples' recipes (insecurities ....). I am making another batch on Wednesday and can split it so that I make half very firm and half not so firm (it's actually nicer for scramble that way and I have just had two gorgeous scramble recipes sent to my inbox that I want to try).

I could serve that with a mix of cauli rice/black Thai rice - nice combination of textures.
Always as firm as possible!