Sprouted Seeds

1spuds

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Alfalfa day 1,2 7 and 9,assorted beans day 4,hope its acceptable to post...
ic1xeJim.jpg
aklzyRbm.jpg

3c64Jrcm.jpg
rKfa5lQm.jpg

jFOgeTzm.jpg

1spuds

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
TP works just as well, and I assume you can buy that in the UK :p
OK,last post,I dont want to hog the thread...
Agree,coffee filters,paper towel and paper napkins also work well.Ive used those plastic clamshell trays with 'blotter',works well for the alfalfa and broccoli and radish types very well.Then I put clamshell in a tray to keep bottom moist with frequent water changes (2-3 times a day) after day 4,until then I only spray misted with water.And its cheap,only need to buy seeds.

On day 7... I removed the blotter,rinsed under running water to remove unsprouted seeds and back into clamshell without blotter,Day ten was amazing.Included is a lovely mung bean/alfalfa/avocado salad,also you can make an antipasto style with meat,but not included to not ruin it for the veggie folks here,but it makes a great salad!
4CJkZi0.jpg
kCQBrNh.jpg

lGNuOuEm.jpg

lGNuOuEm.jpg

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As we have the sprouting experts assembled can I ask what type of beans make the beansprouts for Chinese stir fries?

Reactions: 1spuds

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
I think it’s mung bean but don’t actually know why I think that!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
OK,last post,I dont want to hog the thread...
Agree,coffee filters,paper towel and paper napkins also work well.Ive used those plastic clamshell trays with 'blotter',works well for the alfalfa and broccoli and radish types very well.Then I put clamshell in a tray to keep bottom moist with frequent water changes (2-3 times a day) after day 4,until then I only spray misted with water.And its cheap,only need to buy seeds.

On day 7... I removed the blotter,rinsed under running water to remove unsprouted seeds and back into clamshell without blotter,Day ten was amazing.Included is a lovely mung bean/alfalfa/avocado salad,also you can make an antipasto style with meat,but not included to not ruin it for the veggie folks here,but it makes a great salad!
4CJkZi0.jpg
kCQBrNh.jpg

lGNuOuEm.jpg

lGNuOuEm.jpg

Very impressive, learning a lot today:)

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Now I'm making a salad lol............that avocado always gets me!

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
All of those with young kids or grand children firstly - lucky you, secondly - this is a great thing to do with them! Seed to plate. Fun, educational and very nutritious...

Reactions: Marie 2

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
Very impressive, learning a lot today:)

Me too! I've always loved sprouted seeds and beans and I can (very) dimly recall doing them when I was a girl (soooooo long ago haha). I'm glad of this thread for the advice and tuition. It's been just what I needed :)

Reactions: Guna108 and Marie 2

Guna108

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When I finish my 'sachet shakes ' diet I will be testing my bg to see if I can have sprouted mung and will try some others. They sound delicious.

Reactions: Marie 2 and 1spuds

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Mr_Pot - Thank you. I know where I can get blotting paper. I'll have to order slightly more than I might want, but it's available from office supplies on-line stationers (one of our chaps always had some on his desk, in one of those blotter things that go over a large area of desk. He took his leftovers with him when he retired but I still use the same stationer).
Would rolls of cotton wool be an alternative? I think I've seen it suggested for fun sprouting kits for children?

Robbity

Reactions: WuTwo

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

@Robbity - Both cottonwool and the loo roll (thanks @Antje77 ) sound like great suggestions. Cheaper than blotting paper too, these days.

Reactions: Antje77

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Would rolls of cotton wool be an alternative? I think I've seen it suggested for fun sprouting kits for children?

Robbity
Kitchen towel is probably a good alternative to blotting paper, TP as @Antje77 suggested is designed to dissolve in water so not so good. I am deciding which sprouting jar to get to try that method, the avocado salad picture convinced me.

Reactions: 1spuds

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

Kitchen towel is probably a good alternative to blotting paper, TP as @Antje77 suggested is designed to dissolve in water so not so good. I am deciding which sprouting jar to get to try that method, the avocado salad picture convinced me.

Yeah - I love sprouted seeds on my lunch (or dinner, if it happens to be salad or stir fry, or have veg in it)