Type 2 Lazy chef

Bumpyswife_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bad manners
Hi all any help out there for someone who is type2 wants to do low carb but hates cooking with a passion and left up to me would never follow a recipe. Thanks in advance

Reactions: KELI and 1spuds

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
What do you usually eat/cook? It may be easier to come up with ideas when we know a bit about what your habits are :)

Reactions: Bumpyswife_

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Cook simple fresh food with as few ingredients as possible - makes cooking very fast. A slow cooker is a great investment if you don’t already have one as is batch cooking and freezing additional portions when you do cook.

Dietdoctor.com is a great resource, as is the thread ‘what have you eaten today’ in the low carb section of the forum. A variety of different tastes, cooking skills and preferences and a source of inspiration.

What sort of things do you like to eat?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi there @Bumpyswife_ (love the name!), I think it's safe to say you're not alone in not being enthusiastic in the kitchen.

As others have said, a slow cooker, or pressure cooker are excellent tools, and they positively encourage batch cooking. Batch cooking really helps us her at home, as we like variety, and only being two of us, it's just as easy to cook more than 2 portions at a time.

I'm incredibly spoilt, in that my OH is a very good and enthusiastic cook, so I tend to be sous chef, most days. I cook on the days he plays golf (which is very regularly at the moment!), and am actually using thse days to experiment a bit.

What sort of things do you like to eat, and what sorts of things are you having now. With that info we can probably make suggestions you might enjoy.

For low carb eating this thread has some fantastic ideas, and posters with a whole range of enthusiasm, ability, flair and tastes, so have a look. There's a fair amount of chit-chat on it, but it's a welcoming group.

M

Member496333

Wok.
Sharp knife.
Sturdy chopping board.
Tub of goose fat.
Some food.

Get creative. Get messy. I create loads of fabulous meals this way, and I can’t cook for toffee :D

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
On topic, please ladies and gents.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What do you usually eat/cook? It may be easier to come up with ideas when we know a bit about what your habits are
This is the key to getting some useful answers, what does the OP do for food up to now?

Bumpyswife_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bad manners
What do you usually eat/cook? It may be easier to come up with ideas when we know a bit about what your habits are :)
If I told you what I usually eat you would be horrified I'm just so lazy when it comes to cooking I do enough to get by but don't enjoy it . I like simple foods and the wrong foods like bread chips fried good cakes and biscuits.

Bumpyswife_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bad manners
Hi there @Bumpyswife_ (love the name!), I think it's safe to say you're not alone in not being enthusiastic in the kitchen.

As others have said, a slow cooker, or pressure cooker are excellent tools, and they positively encourage batch cooking. Batch cooking really helps us her at home, as we like variety, and only being two of us, it's just as easy to cook more than 2 portions at a time.

I'm incredibly spoilt, in that my OH is a very good and enthusiastic cook, so I tend to be sous chef, most days. I cook on the days he plays golf (which is very regularly at the moment!), and am actually using thse days to experiment a bit.

What sort of things do you like to eat, and what sorts of things are you having now. With that info we can probably make suggestions you might enjoy.

For low carb eating this thread has some fantastic ideas, and posters with a whole range of enthusiasm, ability, flair and tastes, so have a look. There's a fair amount of chit-chat on it, but it's a welcoming group.
Thanks I do have a slow cooker but don't really use it much my main problem is I work evenings finish at 9.00pm and I'm hungry then so end up grabbing stuff like toast or a sandwich things like that. As a result my sugars are high in the morning then.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
If I told you what I usually eat you would be horrified I'm just so lazy when it comes to cooking I do enough to get by but don't enjoy it . I like simple foods and the wrong foods like bread chips fried good cakes and biscuits.
Not horrified at all, I like those foods as well :)
I just don't eat so much of them anymore but I'd love to more often!

Reactions: ert and Bumpyswife_

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks I do have a slow cooker but don't really use it much my main problem is I work evenings finish at 9.00pm and I'm hungry then so end up grabbing stuff like toast or a sandwich things like that. As a result my sugars are high in the morning then.
Would it be possible to pre cook easy meals on your day off so you'd only have to toss them in the microwave when you get home from work?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

If you work evenings, I'll assume (apologies, if misguidedly so) you start a bit later in the day? Could you start the slow cooker before you leave? You'd then be greeted by delicious smells walking through the door, beckoning you to eat.

If I have a bonkers busy week on, I'll sometime call on the freezer to keep me going, so in your shoes, I'd get something out of the freezer in the morning to reheat when I got home. The microwave or quick oven run, whilst I changed, unpacked my bag, or did some other chore could work well.

If I'm in batch cooking mode, chopping onions, say, I'll chop a couple extra and lob the excess in the freezer for another time. You can fry or even slow cook onions from frozen.

When grating cheese, for cheesy toppings on things, I grate whole 500gr blocks and freeze it in 100gr cheap, pound shop, ziplock bags. It's a great (as opposed to grate) timesaver, as shop bought ready grated cheese has flouror potato starch added to keep the cheese separate.

There are loads of things we can do to save time and make life easy, even if some of them take a little time to get started. It's worth it.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

same boat here.

eat all your food earlier, maybe ???
i eat a good breakfast when i work late,
then it might be a kebab later in day..but not the pita.
or a subway salad..5 stars.
maybe grilled chicken ..(my local now closed :bigtears::bigtears::bigtears:)
or as said cook the night before and bring food in to work to heat N eat.

No one says what you MUST eat,
so it all depends on you
what you are prepared to do to help your self.
( eat to the meter, good advice )

Normally no foods a sin, but diabetics do pay a price if we go off piste.
but the cost is yours to bear.

I'd say, don't see this as a diet.
but more of a way of life.

I quite enjoy that i am bucking the supposed wisdom that i can not eat better,
and must accept the complications will come regardless.

2 fingers to that.
so i enjoy the foods i do eat.
but we must all make our own stand.

i can't really cook like others can
but i get by, as @Jim Lahey says
simple real food will get us through, IF we want to get through.
(breakfast eggs , bacon. sausages, mushrooms tomatoes ? ...YUM )
but don't be restricted by what you THINK you must eat...
skip a meal or go outside your comfort zone.
(I had curry veg and fried eggs for breakfast the other day..delicious )

In the mean time fridge snacks await.
Yoghurt and real fruit..(berries)
Deli meats..( chorizo a current fav )
a variety of cheeses..cheddar and boursin on my fav list.
ryvita, peanut butter, biltong, pork scratchings,
double cream and more fruits (berries)
and then there's always lo cal jelly...:D

lots to choose from.
not forgetting salads, vegs etc.

good luck.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Hi all any help out there for someone who is type2 wants to do low carb but hates cooking with a passion and left up to me would never follow a recipe. Thanks in advance

I'm in a boring phase at the moment.

My simple instant meal is a couple of slices of cooked ham with mustard on, topped by a couple of fried eggs.

Very quick and easy, very keto.

Not varied or a lot of fibre but it is quick and simple.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Check if your oven has got a time delay feature. They are great for having food ready late on in the day.
Heating up meals in the microwave is a bit second best, but could be an option if you don't have the time delay. You don't need recipes, Just a bit of planning so you defrost frozen food in the fridge during the day.