Honeymoon period???

Jane1980

Hi, this maybe a silly question, how do you know when your coming out of the honeymoon period, also when you were on the honeymoon period were you injection the same units of fast acting or was it always dependant on what you eat?

Thanks

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi, this maybe a silly question, how do you know when your coming out of the honeymoon period, also when you were on the honeymoon period were you injection the same units of fast acting or was it always dependant on what you eat?

Thanks

Hi Jane, I knew I was coming out of mine when my levels were running consistently high and I needed to review my basal doses, your fast acting does depend on what you eat, however it's best to do some basal testing first to see if your basal dose is right first as you may need to review your quick acting ratios also.

What makes you think you've hit the end of your honeymoon ?

Reactions: therower
D

Deleted Account

I seem to be much higher Han normally am, I’m trying to exercise more to keep them down,
Have you been shown how to correct bg highs with a bolus?
Exercise is fine but is not always convenient so you need to know your "insulin sensitivity factor" (how many mmol/l does your BG come down if you take 1 unit of fast acting insulin?)

With regard to your question about honeymoon, my honeymoon period slowly petered out over about 5 years. I found my insulin needs slowly increased over time whilst the rest of my life stayed the same.

The other thing to remember is that there are many things which can affect our BG so a high for a week may be due to stress, not sleeping well, heat, illness, a change of diet, ...

Can you talk to your DSN about your highs?

Jane1980

No I don’t know about insulin sensitivity, I will ask at next appointment, I have only seen nurse once and consultant once, have appointment in September with nurse so I will find out more then, 5 years is that a normal honeymoon period, for those 5 years were you having small amounts of fast acting?

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @Jane1980 your honeymoon can last any time, mine petered out around a year or so later, it was very gradual though. As Helen has said there are many other factors which can increase your insulin requirements, from illness, infections, stress, exercise, insulin that's gone off, heat, hormones.

The trick with management is knowing when to increase and understanding how to administer corrections doses or increases in basal insulin to cope. It sounds like it would be a good idea to call your DSN for a catch up to run through this with them.

In case you haven't heard of this book it's worthwhile getting a copy to help with understanding more about t1 management, it's 'think like a pancreas' written by a t1, but useful reading.

Jane1980

I am not sure what “small amounts” are.
I think I started on something like 1 unit of insulin to 20g carbs. About a year later it was 1 to 15, then I realised I needed more and increased to 1 to 12 and eventually stopped around 1 to 10.
As I said, this just increased slowly over about 5 years with no big jump.

I’m having 2 units in the morning and lunch time and 3 units with tea! I’m not doing any sort of carb counting! I have read lots about this tho!

Jane1980

Hi @Jane1980 your honeymoon can last any time, mine petered out around a year or so later, it was very gradual though. As Helen has said there are many other factors which can increase your insulin requirements, from illness, infections, stress, exercise, insulin that's gone off, heat, hormones.

The trick with management is knowing when to increase and understanding how to administer corrections doses or increases in basal insulin to cope. It sounds like it would be a good idea to call your DSN for a catch up to run through this with them.

In case you haven't heard of this book it's worthwhile getting a copy to help with understanding more about t1 management, it's 'think like a pancreas' written by a t1, but useful reading.

Yes I will give the DSN a call to chat through, before I exercise I don’t have insulin so I’m running a bit higher before a workout,
I will order that book tonight
Thank you