1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Honeymoon period???

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by Jane1980, Jul 10, 2019.

1. Jane1980

Jane1980 · Member

Hi, this maybe a silly question, how do you know when your coming out of the honeymoon period, also when you were on the honeymoon period were you injection the same units of fast acting or was it always dependant on what you eat?

Thanks

2. Juicyj

Juicyj Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

Hi Jane, I knew I was coming out of mine when my levels were running consistently high and I needed to review my basal doses, your fast acting does depend on what you eat, however it's best to do some basal testing first to see if your basal dose is right first as you may need to review your quick acting ratios also.

What makes you think you've hit the end of your honeymoon ?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Jane1980

Jane1980 · Member

I seem to be much higher Han normally am, I’m trying to exercise more to keep them down,

4. Deleted Account

Deleted Account · Guest

Have you been shown how to correct bg highs with a bolus?
    Exercise is fine but is not always convenient so you need to know your "insulin sensitivity factor" (how many mmol/l does your BG come down if you take 1 unit of fast acting insulin?)

With regard to your question about honeymoon, my honeymoon period slowly petered out over about 5 years. I found my insulin needs slowly increased over time whilst the rest of my life stayed the same.

The other thing to remember is that there are many things which can affect our BG so a high for a week may be due to stress, not sleeping well, heat, illness, a change of diet, ...

Can you talk to your DSN about your highs?

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Jane1980

Jane1980 · Member

No I don’t know about insulin sensitivity, I will ask at next appointment, I have only seen nurse once and consultant once, have appointment in September with nurse so I will find out more then, 5 years is that a normal honeymoon period, for those 5 years were you having small amounts of fast acting?

6. Juicyj

Juicyj Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

Hi @Jane1980 your honeymoon can last any time, mine petered out around a year or so later, it was very gradual though. As Helen has said there are many other factors which can increase your insulin requirements, from illness, infections, stress, exercise, insulin that's gone off, heat, hormones.

The trick with management is knowing when to increase and understanding how to administer corrections doses or increases in basal insulin to cope. It sounds like it would be a good idea to call your DSN for a catch up to run through this with them.

In case you haven't heard of this book it's worthwhile getting a copy to help with understanding more about t1 management, it's 'think like a pancreas' written by a t1, but useful reading.

7. Jane1980

Jane1980 · Member

I’m having 2 units in the morning and lunch time and 3 units with tea! I’m not doing any sort of carb counting! I have read lots about this tho!

8. Jane1980

Jane1980 · Member

Yes I will give the DSN a call to chat through, before I exercise I don’t have insulin so I’m running a bit higher before a workout,
    I will order that book tonight
    Thank you

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook