Hi. I'm socratis from Greece

Sokras788

Hello everyone my name is sokratis , I'm 21 years old and I'm from Greece.
It's been 11 months since I got diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes.
A decent sized back story follows.
When I was 16 yo I weighed 160kg. I started dieting and exercising and managed in the next 3 years to lose 60kg and compete in powerlifting competitions with big success.
Right after that I was accepted to a medical University where I now have successfully completed my 2nd year.
At the end of the 1st year I couldn't adjust at all to the new country I gained back about 30kg in a year. And here comes the summer holidays where I noticed massive amount of bathroom trips. When I came back from holidays I was hospitalized with bg levels over 700 in August (2018) and final diagnosis Type 1 Diabetes.
A year later I'm only now adjusted to the idea of living with it for the rest of my life and started taking actions to better my health just 3 days ago.

Thanks for hearing my story.
It's nice knowing you can communicate and share your thoughts with people that are on the same page as you, glad to be here.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Hello and welcome.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello everyone my name is sokratis , I'm 21 years old and I'm from Greece.
It's been 11 months since I got diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes.
A decent sized back story follows.
When I was 16 yo I weighed 160kg. I started dieting and exercising and managed in the next 3 years to lose 60kg and compete in powerlifting competitions with big success.
Right after that I was accepted to a medical University where I now have successfully completed my 2nd year.
At the end of the 1st year I couldn't adjust at all to the new country I gained back about 30kg in a year. And here comes the summer holidays where I noticed massive amount of bathroom trips. When I came back from holidays I was hospitalized with bg levels over 700 in August (2018) and final diagnosis Type 1 Diabetes.
A year later I'm only now adjusted to the idea of living with it for the rest of my life and started taking actions to better my health just 3 days ago.

Thanks for hearing my story.
It's nice knowing you can communicate and share your thoughts with people that are on the same page as you, glad to be here.
Hi,

Just a T2 here, but thought I'd say hello. It's quite the adjustment to make in your life, but odds are... If you're in the medical profession eventually, it'll improve your understanding of the people on the other side of your desk. You've been where they are. To them, that could make all the difference. All too often we're basically talking to someone who doesn't even look us in the eye, just focusses on the computer screen, and doesn't actually listen to what we're telling them. I know a part of that is time constraints, but... I think you'll be one of the good ones.

Hugs, and welcome,
Jo

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Welcome to the forum @Sokras788. I'm Type 2 so I don't know much about Type 1 diabetes, but there are a lot of T1s on the forum who can help you with anything you want to know.