1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Hi. I'm socratis from Greece

Discussion in 'Greetings and Introductions' started by Sokras788, Jul 12, 2019.

1. Sokras788

Sokras788 · Newbie

Hello everyone my name is sokratis , I'm 21 years old and I'm from Greece.
    It's been 11 months since I got diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes.
    A decent sized back story follows.
    When I was 16 yo I weighed 160kg. I started dieting and exercising and managed in the next 3 years to lose 60kg and compete in powerlifting competitions with big success.
    Right after that I was accepted to a medical University where I now have successfully completed my 2nd year.
    At the end of the 1st year I couldn't adjust at all to the new country I gained back about 30kg in a year. And here comes the summer holidays where I noticed massive amount of bathroom trips. When I came back from holidays I was hospitalized with bg levels over 700 in August (2018) and final diagnosis Type 1 Diabetes.
    A year later I'm only now adjusted to the idea of living with it for the rest of my life and started taking actions to better my health just 3 days ago.

Thanks for hearing my story.
    It's nice knowing you can communicate and share your thoughts with people that are on the same page as you, glad to be here.

• Hug Hug x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. Diakat

Diakat Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Hello and welcome.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. JoKalsbeek

JoKalsbeek Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Hi,

Just a T2 here, but thought I'd say hello. It's quite the adjustment to make in your life, but odds are... If you're in the medical profession eventually, it'll improve your understanding of the people on the other side of your desk. You've been where they are. To them, that could make all the difference. All too often we're basically talking to someone who doesn't even look us in the eye, just focusses on the computer screen, and doesn't actually listen to what we're telling them. I know a part of that is time constraints, but... I think you'll be one of the good ones.

Hugs, and welcome,
    Jo

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  4. Prem51

Prem51 Type 2 · Expert

Welcome to the forum @Sokras788. I'm Type 2 so I don't know much about Type 1 diabetes, but there are a lot of T1s on the forum who can help you with anything you want to know.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook