Hello from Nashville Tennessee

Walking Girl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve been a T2 for a little over 18 months. Managing very well on diet and exercise only.

My A1c at diagnosis was 11.8% (105 if I have my conversions correct), but I dropped it quickly to around 5% ( low 30s) following a moderate carb whole foods mainly plant based diet and getting plenty of exercise - something I did not do at all before diagnosis. My favorite exercise is long walks in the 800 acres of very hilly open space behind my house, hence the name. But I also lift weight 2-3x per week.

I look forward to sharing tips for managing T2 and exchanging healthy recipes with fellow vegetarians.

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome Walking Girl. I live in Washington state but grew up south of you, near Huntsville, Alabama. :)

I began doing the low carb keto diet in 2015 then found my way here a few days later. It's a wonderful website and forum. My A1c at re-diagnosis of type 2 diabetes was 9.9% (86). Within 6 weeks I dropped it down to 5.6% (38). Your A1c of 5% is awesome. Congrats!

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
Hi @Walking Girl - it's good to welcome a T2 veggie to the forum. Your experience will be very welcome in the Veggie forum :) And very well done on the reduction in HbA1C!

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve been a T2 for a little over 18 months. Managing very well on diet and exercise only.

My A1c at diagnosis was 11.8% (105 if I have my conversions correct), but I dropped it quickly to around 5% ( low 30s) following a moderate carb whole foods mainly plant based diet and getting plenty of exercise - something I did not do at all before diagnosis. My favorite exercise is long walks in the 800 acres of very hilly open space behind my house, hence the name. But I also lift weight 2-3x per week.

I look forward to sharing tips for managing T2 and exchanging healthy recipes with fellow vegetarians.
Hi!
Looks like you've done really, really well for yourself. Congratulations, and welcome!
Jo

Walking Girl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome Walking Girl. I live in Washington state but grew up south of you, near Huntsville, Alabama. :)

I began doing the low carb keto diet in 2015 then found my way here a few days later. It's a wonderful website and forum. My A1c at re-diagnosis of type 2 diabetes was 9.9% (86). Within 6 weeks I dropped it down to 5.6% (38). Your A1c of 5% is awesome. Congrats!

That’s excellent on the A1c drop. It’s amazing what the right diet (for each person) can do.

I love Seattle, heading there in 2 weeks. I keep wanting to get more time in East of the Cascades, as I’ve only briefly been there and it was beautifully. I’m originally from Colorado, Nashville is my adopted home, but I will no doubt move back West when I retire in 5-6 years. The humidity is brutal, even if it is great for my skin :)

Reactions: Marie 2 and WuTwo

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Our son, his wife, and two children live and work in Seattle. They both graduated from the university there and have maintained relationships many of their friends from those years. They take advantage of all the city has to offer, fine dining, parks, and the museums. And they love Europe, particularly France but this last trip they went to London. The girls made some friends there and they wanted to see them again.

We live north of them, and her parents live in eastern Washington, so we're able to spend alternately Thanksgiving or Christmas together as a family each year, which is so nice.

They married at her parents home and property in Yakima. We hosted the rehearsal dinner at the parent's ski cabin in the mountains. It was August. The day of the wedding, back at the parents property, I think it hit 102 degrees Fahrenheit (30 degrees Celsius). But it's a dryer heat, and they had huge ice chests filled with water bottles placed strategically around the property. That evening we enjoyed grilled salmon with a variety of salads. I've never experienced such a beautiful gathering of family and friends. It was magical.

I'm told that in eastern Washington, in the fall, the Larch trees all turn a beautiful golden yellow. I've not seen them yet. Perhaps some day. Here's some images... https://www.google.com/search?safe=...jAhUMHnwKHZ2fCL8QsAR6BAgJEAE&biw=1680&bih=907

Things I miss about the south are mimosa trees - ( https://www.naturehills.com/mimosa-...KyLjrDgYVh4FgVlNhioAn01_h-p_7XSRoCQvoQAvD_BwE ) - which I regularly climbed in, and happily for me, the blooms attracted lightening bugs. When the big green June beetles appeared each summer, we'd catch them, tie a kite string to one of their legs, and take them for a "fly". I also miss the big porches and the thunderstorms, though not the tornados. Growing up there, I got into the habit of walking in the evening. I still walk at night, though the evenings are much cooler here in the pacific northwest.

I've never been to Nashville, but spent some time in Memphis visiting a teenage friend in the mid to late 70's, but more time traveling to and visiting the Gatlinburg area in the early 80's. We were married there by a justice of the peace over a stream on our hotel room balcony. And loved visiting historical structures at Cades Cove. The Smoky Mountains are so beautiful. Good memories.

You'd love retiring here. We have the two climates, east and west of the mountains, skiing in the winter, and boating in the summer. I love hopping on a ferry to spend the day on one of the islands, visiting the beaches, restaurants, shops, art galleries, and museums with my girlfriends.

Do you have any specific places you want to visit? Hope your time here is pleasant.

Reactions: Walking Girl

Walking Girl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I hope you get to see those larch trees soon, they are beautiful.

I had no idea the other trees were called Mimosa trees. The flora here is so different than where I grew up in Colorado, and I’m still unsure what some of the pretty flowers and shrubs are in my yard. Many of the

Nashville is a great city. Always something going on, and I have to say also they are really trying to invest in urban open spaces and large regional parks, all connected by bike and walking paths, so it really is an more activity city than many in the South.

I wish I had a lot of time to sight see, but this is a work trip. I will get enough time to run over to the aquarium and the pike place market, however. And other than that working, and then relaxing with clients and coworkers over nice dinners looking out on the beautiful Puget Sound :)

Reactions: Winnie53

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Unsure of how common mimosa trees are in the south, though the climate suits them well. Now that I think about it, I don't recall any growing in our neighbor's yards.

Summer is the best time for visiting Seattle. Pike Place Market, the Aquarium, fine dining...all sound like excellent choices. :)