Preparing for holiday and completely stressed out

enzina

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pain, being dependent, egoistic people & jealousy
On Sunday i'm going on my first holiday since i am doing the whole T1 program. I'm so anxious, stressed and even down, i nearly wish i could stay at home. The diabetic kit is ready to go in the hand luggage, i have everything double or triple backed up.

Yesterday i have applied a new Libre sensor and it's faulty! The levels show 2-3 mmol too high, that's just no good. Now i'm testing with strips as well and wait for the sensor to stablize. I had to call Abbott quite a few times, got a replacement sensor very quickly but usually they are telling me to leave it on for 3-4 days before they replace it. I do have three spare sensors and don't know if i should apply a new one, of course these things are always happening on a weekend.

I'm going away on my own since several years and never saw it as a problem. "Only" on Lantus was easy in comparison, have travelled to the US and Middle East. On Sunday i'll go to Fuerteventura.

Last edited:

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
On Sunday i'm going on my first holiday since i am doing the whole T1 program. I'm so anxious, stressed and even down, i nearly wish i could stay at home. The diabetic kit is ready to go in the hand luggage, i have everything double or triple backed up.

Yesterday i have applied a new Libre sensor and it's faulty! The levels show 2-3 mmol too high, that's just no good. Now i'm testing with strips as well and wait for the sensor to stablize. I had to call Abbott quite a few times, got a replacement sensor very quickly but usually they are telling me to leave it on for 3-4 days before they replace it. I do have three spare sensors and don't know if i should apply a new one, of course these things are always happening on a weekend.

I'm going away on my own since several years and never saw it as a problem. "Only" on Lantus was easy in comparison, have travelled to the US and Middle East. On Sunday i'll go to Fuerteventura.
Happy holiday. Ironically, the same happened to my new Libre sensor, which I put on in great haste as I was leaving for Cornwall last week. The metre was overreading and staying high. I wondered if I hurried the application and messed it up. I just used it with the Glimp App for the trend arrows, and finger pricks as I figured there were no guarantees that the next one wouldn't be the same.

Reactions: enzina

enzina

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi @ert,
I don't think your sensor was reading too high because you hurried so much. I had several sensors like that and i usually never hurry when applying.

Thanks and well done for managing well whilst in Cornwall!

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, @enzina , a few tips on holidaying with fast-acting:

If you're walking around a lot doing sightseeing, that counts as exercise, so might lower your bg as much as a gym session, so it's worthwhile thinking about notching back your usual meal dose a bit if you're going to be wandering around a lot.

If you're going to be drinking alcohol more than usual, remember it reduces the amount of inter-meal glucose coming from the liver by about a half, so sometimes reducing basal is a good idea, and/or having a carby snack before bed.

That whole hassle of getting to the airport, usually at ridiculous times of the day can take us so far out of usual routines, I'd let bg run a bit higher, and not bother with correction doses too much - going hypo when going through security is best avoided.

And, last but not least, if you can treat a hypo at home, you can treat a hypo anywhere in the world!

Have fun - I confidently predict that when you get back, you'll be wondering what you were worrying about!

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Derailing posts have been deleted from the thread. Please ensure your posts respond to the OPs questions and concerns.

enzina

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thanks so much for your replies, i do feel better already! I was so anxious, i nearly cancelled the whole trip.
@Scott-C, thanks for the very useful tips. I don't drink alcohol at all anymore, so that's one less worry.

I will report back after holiday.:)

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
I remember getting on a plane for the first time after I had all my paraphernalia I want to carry with me now! Just thinking about it is enough to put my blood sugars out of whack!!

But you know what? It was worth it!!!!!:watching: Enjoy yourself!

enzina

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I remember getting on a plane for the first time after I had all my paraphernalia I want to carry with me now! Just thinking about it is enough to put my blood sugars out of whack!!

But you know what? It was worth it!!!!!:watching: Enjoy yourself!

Yes, instead of balconia like last year :joyful:

Reactions: Marie 2

enzina

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Yesterday i came back from my trip and honestly, it didn't go well at all because i got really ill.
I could already feel a cold coming on as i was leaving, after a few days in Fuerteventura i suddely had no more voice, got the chills and was horrible depressed too. The glucose levels were hardly ever below 10 although i corrected, walked miles and miles daily, went swimming etc. The food in my resort wasn't too tempting anyway, so no irresponsible eating.

My flight back was Sunday night, on the plane i needed further corrections and found it very hard to do this on the flight. The Libre sensor was overreading the whole time, i finger prick tested as well. The whole holiday left me very drained and a bit disillusioned. In September i have to go to Austria for a week, my relatives and friends believe we T1s can just "set insulin" and the show is running. Any complications - our own fault. I'm sick and tired of explaining the complexity and extensive T1 regime.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Being ill ruins every holiday, and a diabetic's holiday even more!