Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
@Guzzler , I take minced meat, spice it, wrap it around cheese and cover with bacon, right? What do you think would work better, oven or frying pan?
Seal it first in the frying pan then transfer to oven. Enjoy!

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Ha, I'm going to meet a real diabetic!
Yes, I know you're all real as well, but it's not the same as seeing, touching, smelling etc.

In a Dutch diabetes fb group I asked what a hospital DSN actually does, besides tickling feet and measuring bp and weight. I'm to have my first appointment with one in november and noticed they planned a whole hour, so I wondered what would be going on and if I needed to take a pim pam pet game or such for the other 50 minutes. I don't know what pim pam pet is in English but it looks like this and has cards with questions and you have to shout an answer with the right letter quicker than your opponent.
250px-Pimpampetspel.jpg

The best reaction was from someone who said that if all was going well and I didn't have a lot of questions the pim pam pet might come in handy. My own game is some 40 years old and has a lot of questions on the back of the cards that have been added over the years so I proposed I'd add some more questions like "hypo food', 'what's in a diabetic's bag', 'what do you eat when you forgot your insulin', 'what's that on your arm' and 'diabetes misconceptions'.

And someone reacted she'd like to come over to pim pam pet if I lived anywhere near. Turned out I do so she'll be visiting the 25th :)

Reactions: Bluetit1802

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Found this for sausage slammers but I think Texas a bit far to travel to get them.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Well I've got the sausage meat, the cheese and some bacon no jalapeno but never mind going to give it a go today for dinner. :)

Reactions: Guzzler

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
According to my carb manager app M&S do a Texas Style Slammer though I've never seen them there.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Well I've got the sausage meat, the cheese and some bacon no jalapeno but never mind going to give it a go today for dinner. :)
Obviously we need a pic of the finished thing, and we also need to know how you prepared it and what, if anything, you would do different next time. No need for all of us to make the same mistakes :)
I planned on the same today but didn't feel like shopping, wrong decision.....

For me attempting to cook gave me a horrible mood today. Didn't know what to make so started by chopping a couple of onions. Wanted to search the back of the fridge for things to go with it and knocked over the by now mouldy cream on the top shelf. It felt on the half water melon on the lowest shelf via the food in between so I exclaimed: '**** it, I'll just eat a sandwich!'.
I don't have bread as I don't really eat it anymore because too much of a hassle to inject for.
Pizza or leftover Chinese take away from the freezer is way worse to try to dose for, but I won't cook today, period. Common sense kicked in so I went to the neighbours for a slice of bread and a vent. Turned out they had too much water melon as well as bread so now I've just to conquer my mood and prevent myself from writing acid reactions to every single stupid post on facebook...

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I hear you, @Antje77 . The grocery store was having a great sale on cat food yesterday, so I bought a big jug and an even bigger bag for the manager here who collects food for shelter animals. I deliberately waited 'til after lunchtime to call to see if I could bring it down to the office -- the receptionist said yes he is in. But he didn't answer his phone. So I waited half an hour and tried again. "Yes he is in." But still not answering his phone. Now another half hour has gone by and I am waiting 'til the afternoon receptionist comes on duty to see if they know whether or not manager is actually in today or not.

Yes I could leave a call-back message but I don't want to sit around waiting for a call; I, too, have things to do. I am half of a mind to deliver the food to my friend down the street for her feral-cat colony, but for all I know she is out of the country this week.

Grrrrrrrr ...........

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Obviously we need a pic of the finished thing, and we also need to know how you prepared it

Well here we go did't turn out too bad not perfect but very tasty Judith says I can cook them again sometime please.

As I only had 400 odd grams of sausage meat they ended up a but smaller than ideal so next time up the sausage meat a little.

I seasoned the meat with salt pepper and a some herbs , then divided into equal parts formed them into a ball flattened them out on baking parchment, added grated cheddar cheese that I had mixed a little chili powder in put the cheese on closed them up and wrapped them with smoked bacon rashers.

Got a baking tray sprayed it with olive oil then placed the slammers on tray sprayed rhem with a little oil put them in preheated oven at about 180 degrees C for thirty minutes served them up with some rutabaga fries delicious if I say so my self.

Next time a little more bacon wrap would not go amiss.

The others where a little better but they got eaten before I could get camera.

Slammer with rutabaga1.jpg

Reactions: Goonergal

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Looks very yummy, @JohnEGreen !
My own 2 eggs with, onion, mushrooms chorizo and cheese on a slice of my neighbour's bread didn't turn out too bad either :)

Reactions: SaskiaKC

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well here we go did't turn out too bad not perfect but very tasty Judith says I can cook them again sometime please.

As I only had 400 odd grams of sausage meat they ended up a but smaller than ideal so next time up the sausage meat a little.

I seasoned the meat with salt pepper and a some herbs , then divided into equal parts formed them into a ball flattened them out on baking parchment, added grated cheddar cheese that I had mixed a little chili powder in put the cheese on closed them up and wrapped them with smoked bacon rashers.

Got a baking tray sprayed it with olive oil then placed the slammers on tray sprayed rhem with a little oil put them in preheated oven at about 180 degrees C for thirty minutes served them up with some rutabaga fries delicious if I say so my self.

View attachment 34324

Yum, that looks delicious!

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
gave me a horrible mood today.
Oh well, the horrible mood turned into a 14 year old like "I don't want to sleep" thing (and no one to to turn off the light and say stop acting ridiculous when you're 42). Plus alcohol and my old dog getting really old, physically and I'm afraid mentally too.
Anyway, my day ended in carrying my dog to bed, the dog really not understanding what I wanted, despite it being the same thing every day for the last 14 years. And a major breakdown, crying like a 6 year old and wanting my mum.
I really am not ready to lose my best friend sometime in the next year.
It may be the crying is good for something but I can't imagine for what right now

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I did leave the manager a message and got a call back and took the cat food to the office, where we ended up having a nice long chat about cats, dogs, their owners who have animals but not homes (yay! my food will help feed some of those kitties :) ), and the possibility of finding a local horse rescue that allows old people to come out and hang out with the horses and horse people.

@Antje77 I sometimes have told myself that crying may be like a tornado -- it clears out the atmosphere and the local area. OK, but it also can leave a huge mess, to put it mildly, whether on land or in the heart. I'm sorry you're having to deal with all this. Hugs to you and your sweet dog.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.

View attachment 34324
Yummy! I have decided to see if I can make them with a boiled egg inside instead of cheese to be called 'All Day Breakfast'. My youngest takes the cheesy one to uni for lunch (he eats two at a time) and he likes his all spicy. Glad you like them.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Yummy! I have decided to see if I can make them with a boiled egg inside instead of cheese to be called 'All Day Breakfast'. My youngest takes the cheesy one to uni for lunch (he eats two at a time) and he likes his all spicy. Glad you like them.
Let us know how the egg ones turnout as the cheese ones where great.

Reactions: Guzzler