Nikkipants

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Country music and Michael Cera.
Hello!
Just wondering how long your BS will stay high after you eat something you shouldn't have. (Read: like ice cream or something) will it be messed up for a couple of days?

Also, I've read that keto is really bad for T2 diabetics, but then other people follow it. What say you lot?

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello!
Just wondering how long your BS will stay high after you eat something you shouldn't have. (Read: like ice cream or something) will it be messed up for a couple of days?
Unfortunately, there;s no simple answer! It will depend on what food and how much of it you've eaten, .and how you personally respond to it. Other food eaten in conjunction may also affect what goes on, and any medication you may be taking can possibly affect results too. The best way to find out is to use a glucose meter and test to find out. But foods such as ice cream which are high in both sugar/carbs and fats are definitely not an ideal combination for us

Also, I've read that keto is really bad for T2 diabetics, but then other people follow it. What say you lot?
Just where did you read that?

It's high carbohydrate foods that raise glucose levels, .so in general, ketogenic and low carbohydrate styles of eating are ideal for T2 diabetics and have been used for a couple of hundred years to treat diabetes. Have a look round the forum and see for yourself how well they work (and what additional health benefits they often have) for many of us - both T2 and T1.

Robbity

Caeseji

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self-fellating idiots that don't at all look at other people's views
Hello!

Hi there!

It’s a great tool for resolving a lot of the metabolic issues that develop T2 in the first place in my eyes. If they talk of insulin resistance with a Keto diet it’s usually physiological and not pathological like the precursor to diabetes is and is adaptive glucose sparing. With how well it controls a lot of this condition I would say it is one of the best diets to go on at least as a trial.

Like the lovely @Robbity said it’s all individualistic when it comes to how we handle things like being naughty with food. Always test and make sure that it stays just a treat, usually it is the 2 hour mark that dictates a lot about how we can handle these things.

Nikkipants

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Country music and Michael Cera.
Thanks!
I don't remember where I read that, but I've seen it in multiple places, then I am peeking around on the forums and see that s number of people have had great results! awesome! I want drastic changes, so I'm willing to try anything.

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks!
I don't remember where I read that, but I've seen it in multiple places, then I am peeking around on the forums and see that s number of people have had great results! awesome! I want drastic changes, so I'm willing to try anything.

Good to keep an open mind and do your own research. Perhaps just start with carbs reduction...works well enough for some of us...

Recommended since 2008...
https://nutritionandmetabolism.biom...3qh0ie9L1Bp5dJJ46a5ILOu-Svzpo5pI-8YPC5DVEEY0g

14102513_1796499817261143_5218689255100165662_n.jpg

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Do your research. It would be wise to understand what ketosis is before jumping in and making 'drastic' changes. A Keto lifestyle isn't for everyone and as has been said a diet in fewer carbs first (LCHF) would be better imo.

For starters see the videos on YouTube by Dr. Sarah Hall on keto. Your decisions must be made with your lifestyle and your medications in mind.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello!

I'm quite happy with keto, and have kept my HbA1c firmly in the non-diabetic range with it. It's not for everyone though, as it does mean giving up a lot. Just read up on it over on dietdoctor.com, maybe watch some Eric Berg youtube video's about it... Dr. Jason Fung's the Diabetes Code goes into it too. Just be sure you know what you're doing before you start it, as medication like gliclazide can make you hypo, and if you don't get the ratio's right you can get deficient in a bunch of things. So don't just jump in with both feet.